Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Sharks 2: Bones With Sweet Chin Music for the W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I think the better story will be Matt Murray, and how he got pulled and came back calm and collected and lead the team to a Stanley Cup victory. That's a good story, rather than a few dinosaurs who finally in their career stumbled into one.
Stumbled? You don't "stumble" into the Stanley cup finals.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
hooverdam said:
I want to win with points from all of our pylon, Scuderi-lite defensemen, none of whom can move the puck as well as Justin Braun.

Just realized that every goal was assisted on by a different defenseman. :handclap:

ChrisKuuuunitz

4 time champ
Jan 14, 2015
there
If the Pens D could get a puck out of our own zone to a forward on the move, or hit a net with a shot, or not ice it every time they get it.

And we call them offensive defenseman lol

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
One on the charts that surprised me was the one showing Jones and Murray having almost identical playoffs with Murray having a slight edge. Both were well within the upper echelon of playoff goalies, but neither at the top. To be honest I saw goal an area where we had a decided edge, bigger than the slight one that the analytics showed.

It is one way analytics, if well done, are nice to have. It removes bias and makes you reexamine things you might believe.

Lemieux66

May 19, 2016
Man it would be so glorious to hit 2-0 after tomorrow. I won't panic if we lose, but what a sweet start if we can bump to 2

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Man it would be so glorious to hit 2-0 after tomorrow. I won't panic if we lose, but what a sweet start if we can bump to 2

Tomorrow is game seven.

My prediction?

Win and this series is over in five. Lose and it goes seven games.

I think that the former is more likely than the latter. And most who get paid to make these predictions agree.

Lemieux66

May 19, 2016
Yea Im sure sharks will make if a series no doubt, but I gotta say... I really felt like tampa was the one, they were pretty freaking good... And sharks to me just look so much slower, but that's just me.. I don't get that sense of struggle like tampa.

And the othrr thing is Jones won't hold up each game like he did, we could of easily had 5 or 6 goals.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Seem like Polak of all people had like 10 shot attempts during the game. Kept seeing him trying to shoot the puck. Not sure why he kept trying but from what i remember sharks lost possesion a couple of times because he kept trying to shoot it.

Killswitch7187

Winter is here
Jun 29, 2009
State College, PA
Yea Im sure sharks will make if a series no doubt, but I gotta say... I really felt like tampa was the one, they were pretty freaking good... And sharks to me just look so much slower, but that's just me.. I don't get that sense of struggle like tampa.

And the othrr thing is Jones won't hold up each game like he did, we could of easily had 5 or 6 goals.

I definitely feel the same way in regards to TB's speed compared to SJS's. Drouin was just absolutely so slick, it was unreal. Kucherov and, at times, Johnson were so slick and smooth as well.

The good news for San Jose is they match the creativity those 3 Lightning forwards showcased. Couture I thought was a monster along the boards, and Thornton is good for a few slick plays. But the matter of the fact is, Drouin would just glide into the zone, stop up, change up the tempo on our D.

Drouin made the D-Core respect his shot... I wonder if Thornton can/will do the same.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I think I would rank both the Lightning and Capitals above the Sharks. It's close between the Sharks and Rangers. I'd probably give it to the Sharks because they have a scarier PP, but 5 on 5 I think the Rangers are better.

Lemieux66

May 19, 2016
Thornton really looked like a dinosaur to me, a few times they took the puck off him I thought that's not fair lol

I'm not sitting here confident yet, I'm happy with the situation but hockey changes on a dime. So I'm containing my excitement, but I don't really fear sharks, at least not yet

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I'm sure it was because of Drouin himself and not a lack of trying, but when defending him, it looked like our players were told that Drouin had an extremely communicable disease.

Lemieux66

May 19, 2016
I think I would rank both the Lightning and Capitals above the Sharks. It's close between the Sharks and Rangers. I'd probably give it to the Sharks because they have a scarier PP, but 5 on 5 I think the Rangers are better.
Yea I think caps and tampa are better than the sharks as well.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

I don't even think that Ranger fans believe this.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't believe Geno is healthy enough to blast one timers right now. His shot looks weak.
Maybe the story about the torn ligaments in his elbow were right?

I do think you are on to something. Twice he backed defenders in with how he skates and twice he sort of chest sniped instead of what he normally does. I call it "chest sniping" but it's not TK chest sniping. He just can't pick his corner.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think I would rank both the Lightning and Capitals above the Sharks. It's close between the Sharks and Rangers. Af I'd probably give it to the Sharks because they have a scarier PP, but 5 on 5 I think the Rangers are better.

Yeah, no.

Nobody on the entire NYR squad ever struck me as a threat, not even King Henk. I know other people were spooked by him, but all I could think of was the visual from a couple years back where we got him pulled and he facepalmed.

After that, we've faced all quality teams and made them all heart-stoppers.

There's always going to be that "On Paper" Talent Gap, but the Pens have shown a quality that says they're here to win that 2nd/4th cup.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Seem like Polak of all people had like 10 shot attempts during the game. Kept seeing him trying to shoot the puck. Not sure why he kept trying but from what i remember sharks lost possesion a couple of times because he kept trying to shoot it.

Given the choice between playing Polak and Douglas Murray, I'll take the latter every time.

That's Murray now, not Murray 10 years ago.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'm sure it was because of Drouin himself and not a lack of trying, but when defending him, it looked like our players were told that Drouin had an extremely communicable disease.

I think what they were doing was giving him rope and hoping he'd hang himself with it.

He created a decent amount of scoring chances, but what was sort of glossed over is he had as many or more brutal giveaways and turnovers in bad places. Not a player who would hit the ice for me if I had the lead in the third period of a playoff game.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Was it just me or did it seem that the Sharks started to get frustrated and take shots from every angle and distance at times last night, much like the Rangers did against Zatkoff? Maybe that was part of it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think what they were doing was giving him rope and hoping he'd hang himself with it.

He created a decent amount of scoring chances, but what was sort of glossed over is he had as many or more brutal giveaways and turnovers in bad places. Not a player who would hit the ice for me if I had the lead in the third period of a playoff game.

His speed was pushing us back. The guy was dangerous in that series and the common thing to do is back off because you are scared to get smoked. It happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad