Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Isles 2 - Sid Remembered How to Shoot a Puck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I just feel like when you have the opportunity to go for the 32 year old that will definitely fail versus the 25 year old who may be good.

I’m going to guess they didn’t think he was definitely going to fail and I think if he hadn’t had that concussion we’d be calling him disappointing as compared to the awful pile of flaming shit it’ll be hard to move. Was Beaulieu worth a comparable to the Sabres 2017 3rd and being signed for 2.4M?

You’ve got to figure they had a different plan for the defense than what it’s gone as, too. They got Oleksiak cheaply and I’d be surprised if anyone saw the Sullivan and Cole feud coming. Hunwick somehow ended up fitting in worse than he would have before.

Also, wtf?

On April 27, 2013, Beaulieu, along with his father Jacques, were involved in an altercation in their hometown of Strathroy, Ontario. The incident in question took place following a charity golf tournament at a private residence and stemmed from property damages by the Beaulieus. As a result, two people were assaulted and suffered minor injuries.[9][10]
In August 2013, Beaulieu and his father pleaded guilty to assault. Each was assessed penalties of conditional discharges with nine months' probation—a joint recommendation from the Crown and the defence.
Nathan Beaulieu - Wikipedia

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
HFBoards is funny. Crosby scores an OT winner and the general consensus is that he’s not doing enough. He just scored a game winning goal, jeeze guys.

Scoring a goal off the rush in OT doesnt mean you had a good game.

Although, he didnt really have a bad game tonight lol. The last few have been though.

Reactions: BlankFrank416

BlankFrank416

Feb 24, 2018
Scoring a goal off the rush in OT doesnt mean you had a good game.

Although, he didnt really have a bad game tonight lol. The last few have been though.
Hey, that’s true but one game isn’t a microcosm of a season. He’s been just fine this season, considering how weird it’s been.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Hey, that’s true but one game isn’t a microcosm of a season. He’s been just fine this season, considering how weird it’s been.

It has been a peaky last couple seasons for Crosby. 20 points in 10 games, then 0 in 5, then 10 in 10...etc etc. We just look to him to do EVERYTHING all the time and if he isnt----criticism ensues.

It really is Crosby's fault. If he never got so good, we wouldnt expect so much. hahahah

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I’m going to guess they didn’t think he was definitely going to fail and I think if he hadn’t had that concussion we’d be calling him disappointing as compared to the awful pile of flaming **** it’ll be hard to move. Was Beaulieu worth a comparable to the Sabres 2017 3rd and being signed for 2.4M?

You’ve got to figure they had a different plan for the defense than what it’s gone as, too. They got Oleksiak cheaply and I’d be surprised if anyone saw the Sullivan and Cole feud coming. Hunwick somehow ended up fitting in worse than he would have before.

Also, wtf?

Lol that story.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I just wonder what would have happened if we went for Beaulieu. I feel like he would’ve been a monster acquisition much like Schultz was here.

Buffalo fans seem to think he's been a tire fire, so I'm not sure that's the guy you want instead of Hunwick. Younger doesn't mean better.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Buffalo fans seem to think he's been a tire fire, so I'm not sure that's the guy you want instead of Hunwick. Younger doesn't mean better.

I mean, I know that. I just feel like Beaulieu is cut from the same exact cloth as Cole, Schultz, and Oleksiak. Let’s be honest. Where can he play sheltered minutes in Buffalo?

He was pretty great in Montreal in random periods.

BlankFrank416

Feb 24, 2018
It has been a peaky last couple seasons for Crosby. 20 points in 10 games, then 0 in 5, then 10 in 10...etc etc. We just look to him to do EVERYTHING all the time and if he isnt----criticism ensues.

It really is Crosby's fault. If he never got so good, we wouldnt expect so much. hahahah
True that! What a crazy career so far when you step back and think about.

Maybe Sid got really into Kessel memes this summer and he’s done everything in his power to try and get him a Hart trophy. After games he makes little meme pics and posts then to reddit. He has tons of karma.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Big win.

Great to see Jarry settle in and play a decent game after that disastrous first goal he allowed. I thought he may have melted down in this one after the way it started but thankfully he didn't.

Nice to see Rowney and Hunwick out. We finally iced a lineup where we can roll 4 lines. That's the way to go. We just have to keep tinkering with the 6 D-Men we played tonight and hope things sort themselves out back there.

Brassard was very Bonino-esque with that huge tying goal in the 3rd. That's why we got him. We need a 3rd line center that can deliver those clutch goals here and there like Bones did the past two years.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I mean, I know that. I just feel like Beaulieu is cut from the same exact cloth as Cole, Schultz, and Oleksiak. Let’s be honest. Where can he play sheltered minutes in Buffalo?

He was pretty great in Montreal in random periods.

The same was the case with Hunwick (ie. looking good in random games). And I'm not even just talking about his Buffalo days. He had spurts of good play in Montreal, followed by play that resulted in demotions/healthy scratches.

Beaulieu has always been a "lots of tools, no toolbox" guy. Unfortunately for him, his toolbox isn't quite good enough to compensate for his low IQ.

I mean, I don't really care about either guy to really champion one or the other, if we're being honest. I just think that hammering Hunwick while wishing we went with Beaulieu instead is like complaining because your current car breaks down every time it's cold outside, so you regret not buying one that breaks down every time it rains.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Big win.

Great to see Jarry settle in and play a decent game after that disastrous first goal he allowed. I thought he may have melted down in this one after the way it started but thankfully he didn't.

Nice to see Rowney and Hunwick out. We finally iced a lineup where we can roll 4 lines. That's the way to go. We just have to keep tinkering with the 6 D-Men we played tonight and hope things sort themselves out back there.

Brassard was very Bonino-esque with that huge tying goal in the 3rd. That's why we got him. We need a 3rd line center that can deliver those clutch goals here and there like Bones did the past two years.

It was a Bones type goal. In front, really needed it but Brassard looked a little smoother :)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The same was the case with Hunwick (ie. looking good in random games). And I'm not even just talking about his Buffalo days. He had spurts of good play in Montreal, followed by play that resulted in demotions/healthy scratches.

Beaulieu has always been a "lots of tools, no toolbox" guy. Unfortunately for him, his toolbox isn't quite good enough to compensate for his low IQ.

I mean, I don't really care about either guy to really champion one or the other, if we're being honest. I just think that hammering Hunwick while wishing we went with Beaulieu instead is like complaining because your current car breaks down every time it's cold outside, so you regret not buying one that breaks down every time it rains.

Cole, Schultz and Oleksiak were all viewed the same way by their respective fan bases.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Cole, Schultz and Oleksiak were all viewed the same way by their respective fan bases.

Not really sure why you keep bringing those guys up as your proof whenever I mention how much Beaulieu has struggled.

You're convinced that the Pens will turn Beaulieu into a successful reclamation project instead of the train wreck he currently is because they did so with those guys, yet the Pens failed to do the same thing to Pouliot, Morrow, and now Hunwick.

Why are you assuming that Beaulieu would be part of the former category and not the latter? Those other guys failed with one team, suggesting a change of scenery and a different coaching staff might help them reach their previous potential. Beaulieu's now looked like a mess with two different teams.

Reactions: NJPensFan5

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Yeah, but so are a lot of guys who are that. The Pens may have been able to sort him out or they may not have but it’s just an unknown vs a known. Standing pat and having the cap space was probably the right decision, tbh.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
You're convinced that the Pens will turn Beaulieu into a successful reclamation project instead of the train wreck he currently is because they did so with those guys, yet the Pens failed to do the same thing to Pouliot, Morrow, and now Hunwick.

And this is so interesting about them, except Hunwick. Presumably it’s being able to figure out if a 20 something has what they’re looking for and not being able to do that with a teenager but Jesus Christ.

Kind of shit at drafting them at 18 for how good they are at fixing other teams’ development mistakes.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Not really sure why you keep bringing those guys up as your proof whenever I mention how much Beaulieu has struggled.

Why are you assuming that Beaulieu would be part of the former category and not the latter? Those other guys failed with one team, suggesting a change of scenery and a different coaching staff might help them reach their previous potential. Beaulieu's now looked like a mess with two different teams.

Are you really trying to act like Buffalo’s D is a good place for a struggling player?

Beaulieu was a top four d man for Montreal most years. He is exactly what Cole and Oleskiak were when they came here.

I’m not convinced he could’ve been saved here, but I’d rather take the risk for a cost controlled potential top four d-man then a player like Hunwick heading into his mid 30s. Hunwick was only going to get worse.

Hunwick was never a top four guy on a legitimate contender. He was #6 we signed for three years. Bringing up Pouliot and Morrow is asisine. Beaulieu could skate, put up two 20+ point seasons (16 points EV) and played 50 50 splits o and d zone. He is way more Cole than he is Pouliot or Morrow and acting like he should’ve proved his worth in Buffalo if he was good is ridiculous.

That would be like giving Schultz shit if he didn’t change his game after going from Edmonton to Vancouver.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah, but so are a lot of guys who are that. The Pens may have been able to sort him out or they may not have but it’s just an unknown vs a known. Standing pat and having the cap space was probably the right decision, tbh.

Beaulieu and Hunwick cost the same cap space. We would have given up a pick. My original point last year (in June) was to swap positions with Montreal in the draft and get Beaulieu over acquiring Reaves. Solving the Hunwick situation and actually getting an NHLer for what we gave up for Reaves.

At worst we would have a # 7 and best we would have a player that could maybe replace Schultz when he likely prices himself out of Pitt after his deal is up. Honestly, I’d still look to pick him up.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Beaulieu and Hunwick cost the same cap space. We would have given up a pick. My original point last year (in June) was to swap positions with Montreal in the draft and get Beaulieu over acquiring Reaves. Solving the Hunwick situation and actually getting an NHLer for what we gave up for Reaves.

[b[At worst we would have a # 7 and best we would have a player that could maybe replace Schultz when he likely prices himself out of Pitt after his deal is up.[/b] Honestly, I’d still look to pick him up.

Schultz has so far been very accommodating about not pricing himself out on his next contract :P

In any case... I get the idea behind not acquiring Reaves and Hunwick. Not sure I totally agree with you (particularly on the former), but I get it.

The idea that you'd then spend the same resources on acquiring Beaulieu, however, doesn't make sense to me. I don't like that price for a reclaimation.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
No Rowney or Hunwick. Hmmmm... I think Sullivan might be onto something.

Not if he's only willing to play Ruhwedel 14 minutes. Hopefully that's because it was his first game back in a few months, and it will ramp up to that 16-18 minute range with time.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Abolutely ridiculous. I would have understood a one year deal at 2.2 on a cup contender. People argued you wouldn’t get a player like Hunwick to take a one year deal, but now that they’ve actually watched him they realize he is exactly the type of player to get a one year deal.

This couldn't be more wrong. I'm not saying we have to like it, I'm just saying that this is completely off base, as there's far too many examples proving otherwise.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
only saw the first period, but i liked what i saw from the lines. especially the fourth line. good stuff. so glad to see a win lol

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

That's probably the issue, that he's been fine and not dominant. I think people still expect to see him look like McDavid every shift, but that's not realistic anymore.

At McDavid's age, he could do that every shift and terrorize the league. He's older now and done almost everything possible he could have hoped for.

I think he's trying to find the balance between staying healthy and motivated until he gets to the playoffs.

Maybe Phil is rubbing off on him. He's studying under the master. It's Phil's fault see...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad