Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Isles 2 - Sid Remembered How to Shoot a Puck

Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I am the biggest Geno's fan in the world, Sid comes close but not that close,
however if I were a GM and have to put together a franchise for playoffs for the next three years, not for the regular season, for the playoffs, i'd take Sid No.1 without hesitation, over Geno, over McDavid, over Kuch over anyone in NHL,
Sid will play at least three more years at the top 3 level, remeber that he missed practically one full season, so tht can be count when you discuss wear and tear,

Remember MJ, when he lost that first step burst, he developed a few other moves, pull out jumper, etc.. and kept being the best in the world,
I see similarity with Sid..

House of tpo

Oct 20, 2017
The guy literally just won a Conn Smythe this past June. He won the Rocket last year as well. Because he's coasting more this year and "only" on pace for like 90 points, he's now at best a top 15 center?i

Sometimes I wonder about this fanbase.
Exactly why cant we just be happy to have two of the top 2 centers and players in the nhl this constant comparing is ridiculous

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This year he's not. Last year he was. Last year Geno wasn't, but this year Geno arguably is.

Best player in the world changes from year to year. Sid and Geno are always in that conversation because of their consistency.

Interestingly, Geno performance in 62 games last season is pretty comparable to his performance this year so far in the same number of games..

He had 72 points last year. He has 79 points this year.

BUT, he had 23 points on the PP last year. He has 31 points on the PP so far this year.

He had 33 goals last year and has 36 in the same number of games this year (although his shooting percentage, which is 1% higher this year, accounts for 2/3 of the discrepancy).

He had 191 shots last year. He has 197 shots this year.

He was a +18 last year. He's a +12 so far this year.

By the numbers, the difference between Geno last year and Geno this year is what he's doing on the PP. At ES, he was every bit as good last year as he is this year . . .

You know, I think people forget just how good Geno was last year (a) because he missed 20 games and (b) because Sid was a little better, putting up more goals and similar PPG for 75 games.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be surprised to see Geno age better than Sid and that's mainly because of Geno's size.

I don't know that he'll age better than Sid, but if you look at the Geno who's played for Sully, you're arguably getting a better Geno than his 2 or 3 best seasons and a better playoff Geno than at any time save his Conn Smythe postseason.

Even in the first half year of Sully, a banged up Geno was just over a PPG player, and one armed Geno in the playoffs was just under that with monster possession numbers.

So, I'd say Geno is 'aging' well. His game has matured in a way comparable to how it did for Jagr or Thornton as they got older. The only question for him moving forward is health.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think the main thing with Geno is he likely goes to the KHL after he hits 35.

He has a team in his home town, he basically forced his wife to come over, and we likely won’t be a contender.

That being said, could easily see him being a Joe Thornton level of effective in his 40s.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I get the frustration with some when it comes to Crosby. While we have been blessed with having some of the best players to ever play the game in Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, and Malkin...theres still alot of "what ifs" when it comes to them.

Mario didnt even play 1,000 games.
Crosby's peak was ruined with injuries.
Malkin rarely played a full season.

So while we have 5 cups with these players there could/should have been alot more regular season accolades.

As for Crosby, these last few years if he pushed himself enough he could have won the art ross, etc. But its been more about winning the cup. Making up for all of those years under bylsma that we missed out on. I dont think he purposely sandbags it during the season, but he waits til the playoffs to hit that next gear. Hes also probably the only "top player" in history to play with mediocre linemates.

I did want to see crosby win another few art ross trophies to make up for the ones he was injured...but ill sacrifice those for a cup everytime.

However, when Malkin and Crosby are in their mid 30s, we do have to surround them with top talent to get the most out of them..so even when they lose a step it wont matter as much because of who they are playing with

Reactions: EightyOne and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

He has a team in his home town, he basically forced his wife to come over, and we likely won’t be a contender.

That being said, could easily see him being a Joe Thornton level of effective in his 40s.

I think he'd be a little more productive than that, but it's a good comparable.

And, I'm not sure he'll go running to the KHL at 35. I think part of it depends on the state of the Penguins at that time and part of it depends upon how well he's playing then.

I don't doubt that there will be a farewell KHL tour at some point, but he may wait until later in his 30's like Datsyuk.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I get the frustration with some when it comes to Crosby. While we have been blessed with having some of the best players to ever play the game in Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, and Malkin...theres still alot of "what ifs" when it comes to them.

Mario didnt even play 1,000 games.
Crosby's peak was ruined with injuries.
Malkin rarely played a full season.

So while we have 5 cups with these players there could/should have been alot more regular season accolades.

It's no freaking wonder the rest of the league seethes with rage at our very mention.

Even with all of our misfortune, we're tied with Edmonton as the most successful Expansion Franchise, we've bookended Chicago's run as League Boogeyman, and in the back of their minds, everybody has to know that if the stars had aligned for our stars, we're looking at, at bare minimum, 3 more cups up to this point.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's no freaking wonder the rest of the league seethes with rage at our very mention.

Even with all of our misfortune, we're tied with Edmonton as the most successful Expansion Franchise, we've bookended Chicago's run as League Boogeyman, and in the back of their minds, everybody has to know that if the stars had aligned for our stars, we're looking at, at bare minimum, 3 more cups up to this point.

I found these boards back in '01 looking for information on potential prospects in the Jagr trade. Back then and well beyond, there was a big sense of apathy or flat out disregard for the Pens and our fan base. Hard to really explain unless you were around back then...

I can tell you from experiencing both attitudes, that it's much, much better to catch the ire of the other fan bases because the Pens are successful.

I don't care what any of them think, so it's an all around win-win situation.

The only good thing about those days compared to now was IHWR was around.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Sid is clearly going 75% at most, and simply picking his spots. The over analysis is unnecessary.

Reactions: Pengwins

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I think he'd be a little more productive than that, but it's a good comparable.

And, I'm not sure he'll go running to the KHL at 35. I think part of it depends on the state of the Penguins at that time and part of it depends upon how well he's playing then.

I don't doubt that there will be a farewell KHL tour at some point, but he may wait until later in his 30's like Datsyuk.
Sid being Sid, I think he'd find it poetic to follow Geno to play for Magnitogorsk and wear the A as they ride out into the nuclear sunset together

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sid being Sid, I think he'd find it poetic to follow Geno to play for Magnitogorsk and wear the A as they ride out into the nuclear sunset together

Just like when he started his career in the NHL he stayed in Mario's basement, Sid will start his KHL career by staying in Geno's.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Yeah, I feel Geno's gonna do the Jágr thing of being the triumphant hometown hero after he's decided he's done with the NHL. I don't know if it's when he's 35 or 40 (probably closer to 35 because Jarda's a freak of nature), but he'll go back and be effective for another few seasons before retiring.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
Sid going to the khl with Geno would be an amazing final chapter.

I hate what ifs, but in my mind we need to be forever grateful to the hockey gods that we have both Sid and Geno. Simply put, I don't think either has as much success winning cups without the other. And beyond talent, to have two world class players who are both seemingly team first, win first, willing to sacrifice more money and more spotlight....you just don't see it in sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad