Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Canes 1 - Deserves Got Nothin' To Do With It

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So much of this is attributable to forcing nonsensical lines.

We started getting chances and sustaining pressure virtually as soon as he got his head out of his ass.

Definitely part, but the majority of it is 100% on the guys who aren't battling. There are so many 50/50 pucks. So many. And we lose 'em all. Bouncing pucks we are watching first and then attacking. It's split second stuff. It's the difference between winning a battle and going north or going back on your heels out of position.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Definitely part, but the majority of it is 100% on the guys who aren't battling. There are so many 50/50 pucks. So many. And we lose 'em all. Bouncing pucks we are watching first and then attacking. It's split second stuff. It's the difference between winning a battle and going north or going back on your heels out of position.

The battle level was downright embarrassing for most of the night, for sure. I think we'll be better on that front next game if we stick with the personnel changes we made in the 3rd.

If we go back to status quo, we'll be in for another rough ride.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Elliott in full meltdown mode giving up 4 goals in the 2nd half of the 2nd period including a hat trick to Forsberg to go from up 4-1 to down 5-4. Maybe Fleury can get there for the 3rd...

GregR

Mar 4, 2002
Daley has a lower body injury and will be evaluated back in Pittsburgh

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Tough to watch the defending SC champs simply not close to playing at the level of last spring. Injuries, are killing this team. Nice win and two points and take it and run. Unless they can catch some breaks here, I don't think they can repeat. GMJR is stuck with so much uncertainty as to who will be ready to go April.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Tough to watch the defending SC champs simply not close to playing at the level of last spring. Injuries, are killing this team. Nice win and two points and take it and run. Unless they can catch some breaks here, I don't think they can repeat. GMJR is stuck with so much uncertainty as to who will be ready to go April.

Too many guys will be coming right back as the playoffs start. That's not a good thing. They will not be battle tested and ready. That is tough to jump on the ice and play at that intensity level.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016

I know we've all been ******** on the Pens' play as of late, but the loss of defensemen to this team is a huge deal. Not to excuse it, but the inability of our depth D to get the pass to our forwards in transition is causing us huge problems.

zhenyas most fly rep

May 3, 2009
breizh
A few points

Classic Bylsma -saved by our stars- performance by the team tonight, so nostalgic it's bringing tears to my eyes.

Didn't think it was possible for Letang to top his last game, yet he did convincingly.
Does #58 has more, or rather less, in store for next game ... Is it even possible? Stay tuned.

Props to Murray, the team didn't deserve that kind of goaltending today.
So good and even a bit entertaining with that blocker save, glove style, after the early whistle.
Next step, more smiles pls..

Much better lines combinations from Sullivan and you get that kind of effort? Such a frustrating game.
Now let's hope he'll stick with them for a few games.

We're missing Schultz big time.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So... we definitely didnt' deserve that game. Not one bit. I think we have to give props to one man and one man only - Matt Murray. When everything was going against us, he stood on his head. I think without Murray, it's an absolute beat down. So hey.. props to Murray in a huge way. Huge way.

The other part of the game is the absolute pathetic performance the team has given in the last 2 games. Very disappointing and very scary if we want to repeat. Total lack of discipline in the game of hockey. Not doing any of the small things. Not doing the things that win hockey games. That part has to be figured out asap.

But also perhaps very fortuitously timed for those of us hoping JR doesn't like the mix and lack of crystallization as much as we do. :popcorn:

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Last year it was battling through injuries, and upping the compete level to compensate for guys like Malkin & Letang going down that defined this team.

Our real problems are some lazy satisfied players, and coaching.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Uh, they're losing the lions share of 60/40 pucks.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Too many guys will be coming right back as the playoffs start. That's not a good thing. They will not be battle tested and ready. That is tough to jump on the ice and play at that intensity level.

I don't think that's guaranteed. Sheary won't, Schultz is an unknown, Daley is an unknown, Bonino hasn't shown up anyway. It's really only Maatta and Rust for sure.... maybe just Maatta for sure.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
For years... When this team goes east west... They play terrible.

Teams know how to beat the collapse. Time to switch things up.

Bad timing to spend a **** ton of money to watch an outside game. Please dont blow this.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
So... we definitely didnt' deserve that game. Not one bit. I think we have to give props to one man and one man only - Matt Murray. When everything was going against us, he stood on his head. I think without Murray, it's an absolute beat down. So hey.. props to Murray in a huge way. Huge way.

The other part of the game is the absolute pathetic performance the team has given in the last 2 games. Very disappointing and very scary if we want to repeat. Total lack of discipline in the game of hockey. Not doing any of the small things. Not doing the things that win hockey games. That part has to be figured out asap.

Amen. A flat out pathetic effort. Murray won that game by himself.

I honestly can't think of any player other than him that was good. Maybe Hagelin and Cole. Letang was consistent (as in he's been consistently awful), Cullen stunk, Kessel was lazy, the rest of the forwards were invisible. Gaunce was ok I suppose.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Last year it was battling through injuries, and upping the compete level to compensate for guys like Malkin & Letang going down that defined this team.

You're missing the big thing:

Last year, four things hit . . . coaching change, Geno injury, the young callups, fear of missing the playoffs. Add it all up, and it was the 'oh ****, every one of us needs to step up, because this **** we've been doing isn't cutting it'.

Then, JR didn't have to do a damn thing at the deadline beyond adding a depth defenseman, because getting a (albeit one armed) Geno back for the playoffs was the biggest deadline acquisition any team made last year.

JR took a gamble. He stood pat and figured they could cruise control their way to another cup. It's not working that way. The trick now isn't just to make a splash at the deadline. It's to make sure a sacred cow or two or three get their walking papers.

End of the day, magic formulas aren't magical forever. They're magical for a moment in time. And last year's team's moment is well past its time.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

this is anoother thing that's killing me, we are getting just about nothing from kuhn, fehr, matt, wilson, Rowney, Bones, kunitz and with Sheary and Rust out, the level of hustle is basically gone, there are no Baby pens there to hustle and spread energy

we as Zhenya said, are back to "saved by stars" mode and this is not good, no one is stepping up beside Big three...and the standard good role of Horny and Hagelin and to lesser extent Guentzel

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah and not enough credit to Murray. If you need to point to one game and say "Murray can actually win this team a game" this is it. He's weathered so many storms this year and allowed us to take off. He did it again today.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
and can we do something about this g.. awful zone enter on PP, I mean can someone at least ask a question, **** unwatchable...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah and not enough credit to Murray. If you need to point to one game and say "Murray can actually win this team a game" this is it. He's weathered so many storms this year and allowed us to take off. He did it again today.

Cole, I didn't need to point to that after game 3 against the Caps last year. ;)

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

And then says this afterwards ...

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Amen. A flat out pathetic effort. Murray won that game by himself.

I honestly can't think of any player other than him that was good. Maybe Hagelin and Cole. Letang was consistent (as in he's been consistently awful), Cullen stunk, Kessel was lazy, the rest of the forwards were invisible. Gaunce was ok I suppose.

Gain experience didn't play.

He stole a game against Washington in the playoffs and I'd say he's gotten better since then. Now he's consistently doing that when he's needed and he's needed more than he should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad