Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Blue Jackets 2: A Costly Two Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Okay, so you'd be happy betting a 1st round pick against a likely meaningless, 4 or 5 game trip into the post-season?

It's not like they can tell the players stop trying we want the first round pick instead. And JR didn't make any rental moves this season, so it's not like you can say he made a concerted effort to make the playoffs.

If he wanted that first round pick he pretty much did everything in his power to get it while still maintaining face with the players and team.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
It's not like they can tell the players stop trying we want the first round pick instead. And JR didn't make any rental moves this season, so it's not like you can say he made a concerted effort to make the playoffs.

If he wanted that first round pick he pretty much did everything in his power to get it while still maintaining face with the players and team.

I understand, and agree, but I'm saying don't do something like rush Geno back for a fanatical push for the playoffs. It's not worth it at all imo.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Like i said after a game earlier.
The Pens will be fine once they find a big upgrade over Kunitz and another LW'er to throw in the mix where it's between Hags and that LW'er for top 6 duty.
The second one can be a Beau or Sprong plus the WB guys like Wilson and perhaps Simon, in the short term but...

I know JR wants a LW anchor and he feels he still doesn't have one.
He's slow playing it like he did with Kessel.
Once he became available he pounced.
Theres been nothing he can pounce on yet @ LW.
Be it in FA'y or in a trade, i don't think he cares how he gets it.

ETA: I just don't see as bleak of a future as Coach and some others.

I keep hearing the team had options to move Kunitz. I really wish I knew the details.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, i don't think you can focus too much on what happens this spring.
They either play a playoff series and get bounced or they don't and get a nice quick 1st round pick.
All of that, for me, is just a big whoop.

It's what happens after that really matters.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
And if they miss the playoffs, they'll just lose a 2017 pick instead. Unless the 2016 draft is without a doubt better than the 2017 draft (and I haven't seen anything to make me think it is), it really doesn't make a difference on whether we lose a 1st rounder next year or this year.

If we make the playoffs, we'll have 2 2nds this year and a 1st and a 2nd next year. That's really not bad at all and no different than us missing the playoffs this year and us making the playoffs next year (1st and 2nd this year, 2 2nds next year).

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I understand, and agree, but I'm saying don't do something like rush Geno back for a fanatical push for the playoffs. It's not worth it at all imo.

I agree with that, and I don't think the Pens are dumb enough to do that. Least I sure hope not.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
People need to realize sooner or later that until real changes are made both roster-wise and with this team's ideals, we are wasting years of Sid and Geno's prime/career anyway.

Might as well lose with a purpose than get a participation trophy.

Look, at their ages, we're not building a roster with enough Entry Level Contracts to win another cup.

So what do we do at this point?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Disagree, pens could have easily lost this by trying to get even. This wasn't a game they could afford to lose

If Geno and about 4 other people go on injured reserve, winning or losing this game doesn't make a difference. We're sunk, anyway.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Look, at their ages, we're not building a roster with enough Entry Level Contracts to win another cup.

So what do we do at this point?

Technically, we have had a **** ton of guys on the roster right now on their ELC or their first cheap contract after their ELC. Rust, Wilson, Kuhnhackl, Sheary, Sprong (at the beginning of the year), Dumoulin, Maatta, Pouliot and Murray are all on cheap deals and have played varying roles with the Pens this year.

Crosby the Crybaby*

I was really fed up with those dirty hits and how the refs called nothing.

As Steigy/Errey said, Kuhnhackl got an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty for being pushed into the goalie and punched in the head. Well done, refs.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I agree with that, and I don't think the Pens are dumb enough to do that. Least I sure hope not.

:laugh: You poor, poor soul...

Hornqvist played with broken ribs while we were missing 5 of our top-6 defensemen last season.

There's not a doubt in my mind Geno returns to the lineup if he is even 30%.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
And if they miss the playoffs, they'll just lose a 2017 pick instead. Unless the 2016 draft is without a doubt better than the 2017 draft (and I haven't seen anything to make me think it is), it really doesn't make a difference on whether we lose a 1st rounder next year or this year.

If we make the playoffs, we'll have 2 2nds this year and a 1st and a 2nd next year. That's really not bad at all and no different than us missing the playoffs this year and us making the playoffs next year (1st and 2nd this year, 2 2nds next year).

The difference being that their 1st rounder this year could be a lottery pick while next year's could be anything.

Crosby the Crybaby*

Watching the replays, heard Steigy / Errey say "Kunitz loves to go to the blue paint". :D

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The difference being that their 1st rounder this year could be a lottery pick while next year's could be anything.

If they get their 1st next year, it will also only be a lottery pick. If they miss the playoffs, the Leafs only get a Pens 2nd and give up nothing.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I can see them not calling the Dumo one but to not call the interference on Wilson was a joke.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Why do you post here? I don't even think you're a Penguins fan. All I ever see you do is **** on Crosby on the main board.

Because illogical optimism is not a requirement of this board, nor does objective observation equal unfair criticism. Considering my infraction history I'd argue I've "defended" him particularly to an unreasonable degree in the past.

I was sitting a few sections to the left of the pens goal when morozov held out the pens crest on his jersey to the crowd after scoring a meaningless overtime goal in yet another meaningless season, I'm fairly confident I'll find a way to survive without the crosby's or malkin's as well.

Last edited:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I was at the game tonight, and I just scrolled this thread. I am absolutely stunned to see that someone criticized Hornqvist. I thought he was great tonight. His effort level is amazing.

It was a fun game, I think Pens fans outnumbered the Jackets fans. The officiating was brutal again. Poor Rust. I'm coming away more impressed with him after every game. After tonight I'm impressed he wasn't injured.

Kunitz would 'score' at the game I went to.

Fleury terrified me a few times, but that pokecheck was something.

I was happy with most players, but I kind of really hate the Cole-Schultz pairing. Like a lot.

Nope, which is weird. It looked like the Blue Jackets player tried to rub him out along the boards behind the net and it caught Geno's arm awkwardly against the boards. Came up limp. Played another shift or two and then was gone from the bench for the night.

Could be a bruise, or it could be more serious. No idea yet.

It was weird. I didn't notice when Geno got hurt. That hit looked fairly innocuous and I didn't think anything of it. I saw Sid out with Hagelin and Kessel and thought it was interesting, but when Cullen came out with them the next shift, that's when I realized he was gone.

I really couldn't figure out what happened, so I had to search on my phone for the video. I feel like it could be his knee? But I don't know. So frustrating to get two guys back and lose a more important one.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It was weird. I didn't notice when Geno got hurt. That hit looked fairly innocuous and I didn't think anything of it. I saw Sid out with Hagelin and Kessel and thought it was interesting, but when Cullen came out with them the next shift, that's when I realized he was gone.

I really couldn't figure out what happened, so I had to search on my phone for the video. I feel like it could be his knee? But I don't know. So frustrating to get two guys back and lose a more important one.

Prout's ass pushed Geno's stick into the boards and his wrist got jammed between those two things and his stick. I'm not optimistic with how he hand was just dangling.

rookie skater

Jan 25, 2016
+++win
++Fleury
+not eating the bait of CBJ (good practice for future games with similar team), solid return of Fehr & Hagelin, Rust & Kuhnhackl standing their grounds against the jerk-iness of CBJ players
-injuries of Malkin & Wilson (hopefully minor ones, w/o missing game)

glad no Sid-Dubi drama, hope Dumo is fine too, Cullen needs to get some kind of bonus for all the big roles he has to play, Schultz is kinda invisible this game so hope Pouliot will play next game, also Sid centering Kessel & Hagelin for that brief period of time was quite cool & fast (as expected).

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Prout's ass pushed Geno's stick into the boards and his wrist got jammed between those two things and his stick.

Interesting. One of the only bad things about going to games is that you don't get the replays. That makes more sense.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I think it was something on his arm/hand. He came up holding his left arm limp almost like he'd dislocated his shoulder or broken his forearm or something.

Dunno. I look forward to "no updates" and "still being evaluated" for the next couple of weeks though. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna