Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Nuke represents as little risk as one can take for a player with his impact if you're giving up zero assets. The only way he'd ever be available to a team in our position is under a circumstance like this.

He's a considerably better bet to improve the Pens than PLD or JK. Their most recent play when it mattered most were at opposite ends of the spectrum. He was unstoppable. They were negligible.

Disagree dude could come back be there for a month then get a life ban. It’s a stupid risk and easy way to blow the season.

He also turns 30 next year. It’s not like he’s some spring chicken. I bet he drops off hard after all of this to be honest.

But anyways never gonna agree on this. i think bringing in that turd will sink the team even further.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Disagree dude could come back be there for a month then get a life ban. It’s a stupid risk and easy way to blow the season.

He also turns 30 next year. It’s not like he’s some spring chicken. I bet he drops off hard after all of this to be honest.

But anyways never gonna agree on this. i think bringing in that turd will sink the team even further.
In terms of on ice play, there's really no way to justify that.

Whatever Nuke's off ice issues, his on ice play was levels above anyone else talked about here.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
In terms of on ice play, there's really no way to justify that.

Whatever Nuke's off ice issues, his on ice play was levels above anyone else talked about here.

Sure but dude isn’t on the ice when it counts. He constantly is letting his team down. That’s the issue. His play is fine but he isn’t.

The team was 10-10 in its last 20. You can’t start the season with the same guys and expect nuke to be this savior.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Y’all have the weirdest fetish for known chokers. Easy pass on KK and Marner.

Also this franchise traded Despres for poker games and you think they’ll take Nichushkin lol? Won’t happen, just like Evander Kane did not happen.

Last edited:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Y’all have the weirdest fetish for known chokers. Easy pass on KK and Marner.

Also this franchise traded Despres for poker games and you think they’ll take Nichushkin lol? Won’t happen, just like Evander Kane did not happen.
I have absolutely zero concern for individual playoff histories in 2024-25, since this team will either not make the playoffs or lose in R1, no matter who they acquire. Just too far behind the big dogs.
So I don't see why we keep talking about playoff resumes, like it's gonna make any difference. There's nothing to fear.
That's a conversation for yesteryear, when the Pens were still relevant and were favored or close to 50/50 for a series.

At this point they should prioritize guys who can get them in, and avoid the shame of the last 2 years. They need insulation for drop-off seasons from their ancient players and to bolster their scoring depth.

Kane was never expected to happen. He was never even reached out to. It was just an idea on the board for what the Pens should do. A good one.
When the Oilers reached out and offered a spot on McDavid's line, that was a slam dunk for him, and all other teams fell away anyway.

Agreed that Nuke is not coming here. No harm in a discussion about the player though. Almost no trade or signing idea here ever actually happens. By the same token we can censor all of it. But that'd be pretty boring for an already boring board.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
I have absolutely zero concern for individual playoff histories in 2024-25, since this team will either not make the playoffs or lose in R1, no matter who they acquire. Just too far behind the big dogs.
So I don't see why we keep talking about playoff resumes, like it's gonna make any difference. There's nothing to fear.
That's a conversation for yesteryear, when the Pens were still relevant and were favored or close to 50/50 for a series.

At this point they should prioritize guys who can get them in, and avoid the shame of the last 2 years. They need insulation for drop-off seasons from their ancient players and to bolster their scoring depth.

Kane was never expected to happen. He was never even reached out to. It was just an idea on the board for what the Pens should do. A good one.
When the Oilers reached out and offered a spot on McDavid's line, that was a slam dunk for him, and all other teams fell away anyway.

Agreed that Nuke is not coming here. No harm in a discussion about the player though. Almost no trade or signing idea here ever actually happens. By the same token we can censor all of it. But that'd be pretty boring for an already boring board.
I disagree. You build rosters with players that have a pulse and how to win because that’s the end goal. Everything else should fall in place if you do that.

Even if your goal was only to get in the playoffs, it can be done that way.

There’s no way in hell I’m allocating the most money on a known loser, we’re talking about what 11M+ for like 8 years for Marner??. I’m also not trading for the second coming of Brandon Sutter at 4.8M + NTC. No thanks.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I disagree. You build rosters with players that have a pulse and how to win because that’s the end goal. Everything else should fall in place if you do that.

Even if your goal was only to get in the playoffs, it can be done that way.

There’s no way in hell I’m allocating the most money on a known loser, we’re talking about what 11M+ for like 8 years for Marner??. I’m also not trading for the second coming of Brandon Sutter at 4.8M + NTC. No thanks.
And Marner doesn't have a pulse in the regular season, and doesn't do things conducive to winning? He's like their best defensive Forward, best PK'er, and a 100 point guy when he plays all the games.
He gives you 30 goals as a playmaker, and a ton of primary assists. Not to mention the speed and line driving ability.
He's one of their hardest workers. Calling him lazy is nuts. Even in the playoffs he busts his ass, but all people can see is points.

The problem with him is not what people say it is. It's not attitude or fear of the moment.
He struggles to score as much in the playoffs because he tries to produce using the same style that works in the regular season. There's a lot less time and space in the playoffs.
He's not adjusting his game to how goals are scored there. He's trying to skill it too much on the perimeter, and he's getting shut down.
You have to get dirty and force the middle ice, looking for rebounds and shit. Or you can leech off the PP, but that wasn't working for them this year.

His production isn't even as woeful as people claim. He has 50 points in 57 playoff games. It's a little bit below where it should be, given that scoring goes down in the playoffs as a whole.

Marner was critical in shutting down Boston in games 5 and 6 for example. He was great defensively in game 7 too. But the team only scored 1 damn goal.
He just does a ton that people never talk about.

I think odds would be super good that he'd be better than Crosby next season. That's not what gives me pause with him. The long term extension he'll want is why I wouldn't do it.
It's not about 2024-25.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sure but dude isn’t on the ice when it counts. He constantly is letting his team down. That’s the issue. His play is fine but he isn’t.

The team was 10-10 in its last 20. You can’t start the season with the same guys and expect nuke to be this savior.
Nichushkin had more goals in his 8 game playoff run this year than our current best winger has had in his last 33 playoff games. I'll take that kind of let down any day.

The Avs were 27-26-4 the last 2 seasons without Nuke. The Pens could go .500 without him and still do very well, and that's without other changes the team could make.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Nichushkin had more goals in his 8 game playoff run this year than our current best winger has had in his last 33 playoff games. I'll take that kind of let down any day.

The Avs were 27-26-4 the last 2 seasons without Nuke. The Pens could go .500 without him and still do very well, and that's without other changes the team could make.

And his team was out in the second round. Last year he had 1 point because he played 2 games.

You honestly think it is going help him with his problems to be dumped by the Avs and sent to Pittsburgh? And people thought Smith was pouty and had a bad attitude.

Nuke is a walking problem. He isn't even guaranteed to be allowed back after 6 months. Him being the big move is a recipe for disaster. So no thanks.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
And Marner doesn't have a pulse in the regular season, and doesn't do things conducive to winning? He's like their best defensive Forward, best PK'er, and a 100 point guy when he plays all the games.
He gives you 30 goals as a playmaker, and a ton of primary assists. Not to mention the speed and line driving ability.
He's one of their hardest workers. Calling him lazy is nuts. Even in the playoffs he busts his ass, but all people can see is points.

The problem with him is not what people say it is. It's not attitude or fear of the moment.
He struggles to score as much in the playoffs because he tries to produce using the same style that works in the regular season. There's a lot less time and space in the playoffs.
He's not adjusting his game to how goals are scored there. He's trying to skill it too much on the perimeter, and he's getting shut down.
You have to get dirty and force the middle ice, looking for rebounds and shit. Or you can leech off the PP, but that wasn't working for them this year.

His production isn't even as woeful as people claim. He has 50 points in 57 playoff games. It's a little bit below where it should be, given that scoring goes down in the playoffs as a whole.

Marner was critical in shutting down Boston in games 5 and 6 for example. He was great defensively in game 7 too. But the team only scored 1 damn goal.
He just does a ton that people never talk about.

I think odds would be super good that he'd be better than Crosby next season. That's not what gives me pause with him. The long term extension he'll want is why I wouldn't do it.
It's not about 2024-25.
My view is, at least it gives us a greater chance to sniff the playoffs, and once you are there, who knows!

And...honestly Marner is pretty fun to watch!

The bigger question is what do we have that TO will want?
If they are going UFA, and want to shed Marner salary, then they basically want futures (and maybe a D from us).

I could see a deal around EK or Letang...maybe, but do WE want to do that. I would say yeah, cuz it makes us younger.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
The situation reeks of more risk here. He hopefully will find a way to get clean. Until then you live with an everyday relapse and then it is off to the races. Big pass here. Now the idea the Pens can be a good team with a couple solid moves is still the case. Stanley cup chalk no. Pens need grit, younger players in a couple spots, and of course a return to better play in Graves, Jarry and a healthy Rakell. Plus Acciari if healthy deepens the RW side. Stating the obvious here but I don't think Pens with moving Smith and cap room to add is the best place the Pens have been in years as to flexibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darren McCord

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I mean I guess it's fun to talk or think about but getting Marner on this team is probably a few whiskers short of impossible. It's always more of a media thing than a FO thing but I feel like Toronto would rather take Marner out in the back alley and give him the old yeller than trade with Dubas.

Nuke? Big pass. On-ice he's damn near perfect but no, it's more red flags then a Communist political rally.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
It's not about 2024-25.

When Marner's contract ends in like 2032 this franchise will hopefully be on the upswing. Once Sid and Geon are gone in a few seasons, doesn't really matter who is or isn't on the books. I'm not saying sign 5 of these types of players, but 1 long term contract doesn't bother me.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Would roll the dice on Marner all day. Contract status and NMC would make him cheaper than a player of his caliber should be. That said, not sure if Pens have the pieces because idk if Toronto moves him if they just get offered futures.

Ehlers is another option that’s slightly less of a pipe dream.

I actually like Stamkos as a fit on a short term deal but idk why he’d sign here.

I’ve liked DeBrusk a lot lately but he cannot be your “big” acquisition. I’d bring him in with the idea he’s a big strong fast 20-20 guy, not that he’s going to turn the top 6 around.

Nuke is asinine unless he’s coming on a league min deal after his contract is terminated. It’s clear his teammates were over his shit.

Kasé is another reclamation project I bet Dubas takes a really hard look at.
Idk how much he’ll cost but I’d monitor Gostibehere very hard to come run the PP. Same with Gustafsson. Don’t hate Tyler Myers as your 3RD if he’s cheap.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And his team was out in the second round. Last year he had 1 point because he played 2 games.

You honestly think it is going help him with his problems to be dumped by the Avs and sent to Pittsburgh? And people thought Smith was pouty and had a bad attitude.

Nuke is a walking problem. He isn't even guaranteed to be allowed back after 6 months. Him being the big move is a recipe for disaster. So no thanks.
That still works out to better playoff production over the last 2 years than our best winger ever has.

I don't know what a change of environment will do for him. But I do know that the Pens won't have a shot at a winger as good and relatively inexpensive as he is unless they pick him up under adverse circumstances, and spending our meagre assets on lesser players or shelling out for lesser, older UFAs isn't going to make a difference for a team that couldn't ice a playoff team with Guentzel - also better than any of your listed options - last year.

If this team has any hope of doing damage again during this core's time, it needs to take some really big swings a la Vegas. Otherwise its just continuing the slow fade into irrelevancy.

Someone's going to take a chance on Nichushkin for nothing and reap the rewards. Just don't ever complain about our wingers when it happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad