Post-Game Talk: Pens 2, Sabres 0 - The We Backed in Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Did adams really dress and not get a single second of time? Well theres one plus for this season!!

My second favorite part of the game tonight was the shot of him sitting on the bench looking around with a dumb stare. My absolute favorite is learning he didn't touch the ice (if true). :handclap:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The only way this team wins in the playoffs is if they can bring in some hunger up front. We need an injection of young hunger like we had in our first and second Cup run.

These defensive "prospects" are going to have to come through in a big way for us. Harrington, Dumoulin, and Pouliot...it's your time to shine boys.

I hope that this is the year Fleury shuts everyone up with his playoff performance. If he doesn't...it's going to be a long offseason.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Scoring hasn't actually gone down though. It's mostly an outlier among the top players.

How much farther down can scoring actually go?!? The average no. of goals by a team this season was 2.73. The only modern seasons lower than that are 2012-2013 (2.72), and multiple seasons from 97-04. Having slightly more scoring than the late 90s and early 2000's isn't saying anything positive.

The "outlier" can be traced directly back to the power play rate. This season saw the lowest power play rate in recorded history at 3.06 power play opportunities per game. The next lowest ever was 3.19 in the 77-78 season.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
How much farther down can scoring actually go?!? The average no. of goals by a team this season was 2.73. The only modern seasons lower than that are 2012-2013 (2.72), and multiple seasons from 97-04. Having slightly more scoring than the late 90s and early 2000's isn't saying anything positive.

The "outlier" can be traced directly back to the power play rate. This season saw the lowest power play rate in recorded history at 3.06 power play opportunities per game. The next lowest ever was 3.19 in the 77-78 season.

The lack of powerplays is definitely a very real concern. I don't think it attributes to the significant reduction in production from the very top players, though. We're talking 20 points plus - a small increase in powerplays would only put a small dent in that differential. This is a legitimate outlier season.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Would be pretty hilarious if that was the last game he played in :laugh:

My cynical self maintains he will be in Thursday's line up. Maybe MJ is not only an incompetent NHL coach like Bylsma, maybe he also does the logical things when his ass is on the line and immediately thereafter reverts back to his former tricks.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
The lack of powerplays is definitely a very real concern. I don't think it attributes to the significant reduction in production from the very top players, though. We're talking 20 points plus - a small increase in powerplays would only put a small dent in that differential. This is a legitimate outlier season.

Final NHL scoring leader positions 2-10:

14-15 season, 86, 84, 81, 81, 78, 77, 76, 76, 73
13-14 season, 86, 86, 84, 82, 80, 80, 79, 79, 79

That's a huge difference to you? The only outlier was Crosby blowing the league out the water last season. The PP conversion actually went up this season from 17.89% to 18.66%, but the PP opportunities went from 3.27 last season to 3.06 this season. This season's slight reduction can be attributed almost 100% to the lack of power plays and the corresponding dead puck 5on5 play.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
Adams plays his last game as a Pen riding the pine.:handclap:

If by "riding the pine" you mean the pine in the press box, yup.

I would like to think he won't be dressing as a Pen again at this point. Surely there's got to be a warm body from the AHL that will take his place now that the rosters can be expanded?

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
My cynical self maintains he will be in Thursday's line up. Maybe MJ is not only an incompetent NHL coach like Bylsma, maybe he also does the logical things when his ass is on the line and immediately thereafter reverts back to his former tricks.

I'd be shocked if he was....he's had no problem scratching him when the team is healthy (and they'll have able bodies with the WBS callups).

It appears we have seen the last of Craig Adams as a Penguin :nod:

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
I dunno what's a bigger joke this penguins organization or the NHL as a whole.

This years scoring pace & numbers are downright EMBARRASSING.

What a **** product they are putting out. :shakehead

Yup. I won't be renewing my hockey package for next season and for the foreseeable future. I might catch the odd game if there's one on the tube but there are any number of things that I'd rather do than watch an NHL hockey game at this point.

People are praising the "parity" in the league when it's due to the ice being too small, teams playing defense first and horrible random refereeing (that call against Downey in the Isles game pretty much encapsulates the state of refereeing in this league). This has nothing to do with the Pens specifically (in fact, they are close to being on the list of lousy teams that need to clutch and grab better teams down to their level).

I'll consider watching more hockey when we go back to the days of good teams generally blowing out bad ones.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
It was great. He was looking frantically around him, eyes wide open, like a beggar dog trying to get some food and getting completely ignored.
Just hope it was the last game with Adams on the bench. Forever. 0:00 TOI is a beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad