Post-Game Talk: Pens 2 Oilers 1

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Lol @ the Penguins being "allzone" all-stars.

Fleury has a .940 SV%. Their CF% is 47.9. Edmonton's is 47.7. Neck-and-neck in terms of shots/scoring chance metrics.

Their fans know why they're 9-5. It's not because the team is playing well.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well, its your opinion then. But its great hockey and what the best teams play. Winning is equivalent to playing good on all zones and with attention to detail. Even for the Chicago Black Hawks who have some of the best D and responsible team play in the game when it matters. people can think watching Duncan Keith or Toews play is boring I guess because they play near picture perfect hockey. I see it as excellence.

Again kudos to the Oilers making some headway in at least competing in a game like last night. Used to be players like Hall would just come back to the bench and break a stick in a game like this. Now they're trying to play it. Not be frustrated by it.

Also lost in the conversation is the Oilers are starting to show signs of being an effective counter team. If they can just keep putting in the work results will come.

Yeah whatever, win the ****ing game. That game was theirs for the taking and again they fell flat. The only way they'll learn to win is by doing it. How many times have we seen over the past few years the following trends:

Oilers score first and lose (4-4 now)
Oilers go into the third period tied and lose (Someone please compile their record over the past few seasons on that stat)

And speaking of Toews and the Blackhawks, anyone picture the Oilers walking into Chicago and taking two points from the no-doubt-angry Hawks?

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
There's absolutely no speed to it though. I get what you're saying but that was about as close to trapping as you could get. It felt like watching the Lemaire-era Wild. A game involving Crosby, Malkin, and Hall should never be boring but this is the era we live in. You clog up the neutral zone you win. That was textbook Kings hockey last night and I don't think even McDavid could've made that exciting.

Really makes me wonder if the NHL is trying to slow the game down due to the concussion lawsuits .....some atempt to decrease future risk ?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
There's absolutely no speed to it though. I get what you're saying but that was about as close to trapping as you could get. It felt like watching the Lemaire-era Wild. A game involving Crosby, Malkin, and Hall should never be boring but this is the era we live in. You clog up the neutral zone you win. That was textbook Kings hockey last night and I don't think even McDavid could've made that exciting.

NZ is where games are won or lost. Whether it be Hockey or Soccer. In the latter people always talk about the strength of a teams midfield. It sets everything up and factors into everything. That's the trenches imo. Pucks are pushed one way or another through there. The frontlines if you will. I love watching the puck battles that go on wherever they occur.

For instance when you watch playoff hockey the battles are always more prounounced, more intense, and its the best hockey played by the best teams. Do some posters here not like playoff hockey?

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
Best game i’ve seen Klefbom play. That guy is turning into a really good D-man.

Agreed. He has had some bad moments this year, but overall he has taken a step forward from last season. Hall had a great game too, he was the best player on the ice for most of the game last night.

I still think this team is close to putting it all together, but a lot of these coming games are going to feel futile without 97.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Lol @ the Penguins being "allzone" all-stars.

Fleury has a .940 SV%. Their CF% is 47.9. Edmonton's is 47.7. Neck-and-neck in terms of shots/scoring chance metrics.

Their fans know why they're 9-5. It's not because the team is playing well.

So you actually watched that game and thought the Pens didn't play well overall? You didn't see any good defensive plays made out there?

Even in the telecast they were commenting on this different, and more effective brand of Pens hockey.

A style that could go farther in the playoffs than that which they've typically deployed.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
So you actually watched that game and thought the Pens didn't play well overall? You didn't see any good defensive plays made out there?

Even in the telecast they were commenting on this different, and more effective brand of Pens hockey.

A style that could go farther in the playoffs than that which they've typically deployed.

Yea, I heard about the "telecast" from one of my Pens fan friends. Said it made everyone in the room laugh.

Penguins are 6th in the league for scoring chances against/60. It's usually Fleury saving them this season. Last night it was the posts.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Well, its your opinion then. But its great hockey and what the best teams play. Winning is equivalent to playing good on all zones and with attention to detail. Even for the Chicago Black Hawks who have some of the best D and responsible team play in the game when it matters. people can think watching Duncan Keith or Toews play is boring I guess because they play near picture perfect hockey. I see it as excellence.

Again kudos to the Oilers making some headway in at least competing in a game like last night. Used to be players like Hall would just come back to the bench and break a stick in a game like this. Now they're trying to play it. Not be frustrated by it.

Also lost in the conversation is the Oilers are starting to show signs of being an effective counter team. If they can just keep putting in the work results will come.
If this is great exciting hockey, I mgiht stop watching. If hockey becomes a constant score a goal and shut it down and constantly win 1-0, 2-1 might as well watch people play poker. Actually poker is more interesting then that.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Let's just make nets smaller, add a second goalie and the only penalties are punches to the face and solo breakaways. To enter the zone you have to have at least 1 teammate within 2 feet of the line or its offside.

The game will be about lucky bounces and all games end in a tie if you lose one game you are pretty much out of playoffs.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
That's considered great hockey? What a complete snorefest that was. Both teams having offensive firepowers only managed to score a total of 3 goals. This current era of the NHL is completely boring to watch.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yea, I heard about the "telecast" from one of my Pens fan friends. Said it made everyone in the room laugh.

Penguins are 6th in the league for scoring chances against/60. It's usually Fleury saving them this season. Last night it was the posts.

I'll defer to you on this one. I don't watch a lot of Pens hockey. Just thought they played a reasonable road game. Hell even Malkin was reading coverage and breaking up some scoring chances.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That's considered great hockey? What a complete snorefest that was. Both teams having offensive firepowers only managed to score a total of 3 goals. This current era of the NHL is completely boring to watch.

So much wrong with assessing the quality of a game from the scoreline. Goals scored in my lexicon have virtually nothing to do with the quality of game played and I could even argue the opposite, as most coaches would.

This was certainly a game in which coaches could feel reasonably good about and know with some certainty that players were involved and bought in to some system and all round play. When you see a game in which NZ is contested as well as this one theres at least that attention to detail going on. Its games where NZ is devoid of play that tend to be suspect river hockey renditions.

I'll ask this again. Do some of you hate playoff hockey? To me its the best hockey played. Always is. Its very system hockey.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If that was playoff hockey I'd just as soon take up soccer. That was two mediocre teams slap fighting over who gets to talk to Suzie.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I'll defer to you on this one. I don't watch a lot of Pens hockey. Just thought they played a reasonable road game. Hell even Malkin was reading coverage and breaking up some scoring chances.

Lol "even Malkin"... He's a top five centre in the world and in my estimation number two. He regularly breaks up scoring chances. I watch a lot of pens hockey and they played alright but hardly a great game for them. They seem to have no mojo this year at all.

Fleury has a hell of a lot of talent and if he can keep it up finally he's definitely a vezina candidate this year. It's always mental with him. Definitely the reason the Pens have most of their wins so far.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
So much wrong with assessing the quality of a game from the scoreline. Goals scored in my lexicon have virtually nothing to do with the quality of game played and I could even argue the opposite, as most coaches would.

This was certainly a game in which coaches could feel reasonably good about and know with some certainty that players were involved and bought in to some system and all round play. When you see a game in which NZ is contested as well as this one theres at least that attention to detail going on. Its games where NZ is devoid of play that tend to be suspect river hockey renditions.

I'll ask this again. Do some of you hate playoff hockey? To me its the best hockey played. Always is. Its very system hockey.

Opinions differ. I just found it boring to watch. :laugh:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
It was boring.

Not much flow, not a lot of scoring chances, and the ones that there were, weren't overly electrifying. Hardly any physical play. It was a snoozer for sure.

Exactly. If this was considered "playoff hockey" then I'm baffled by that comment. Could care less how well the pens played, when it reminded me of a trap game aka wild/yotes.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Also, to respond to this since you've done me the courtesy of a few replies: there is a massive difference between obstruction and the defensive system the Hawks play. I love watching the Hawks, they play a beautiful system. It's a far cry from the defensive, clutch and grab that the Pens have been playing this year. Really odd to me that you brought up the Hawks as an example. If the Pens were playing like the Hawks I'd be ecstatic. Of course they don't have the same personnel - Letang ain't no Keith, and they have no one close to Seabrook. Of the rest of their D only Maatta seems able to make a breakout pass.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
or maybe some fans thought the Oilers are playing well, and don't need to come into an environment of such negativity.
It's not apathy...it's staying away from the miserable posters who constantly whine...over and over again, no matter the outcome.
That is getting tiresome, isn't it.
Kind of a moot point.
Its not really a moot point though, is it? The Pens have the lowest GAA in the league. 1.7 GAA/G. They just don't give up a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad