Post-Game Talk: Pens 2 Oilers 1

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Kings will throw a hit instead of interference on plays that are borderline enough where they aren't considered impeding or interference and wherein the player had the puck and released it. The Kings also play some picks and use some body position to create some open ice.

At no point do I see Kings players crosschecking opponents countless times a game or grabbing onto them for a ten count.

Really I do question you ever watched dead puck era hockey.

Kings play sensible all zone hockey and I love a well played game. love the physicality of Kings hockey as well.

btw while were seeking clarity here two weeks ago you were going on about the Kings being a "mediocre" club... pffftttt. ;)

Sure I watched it. Although I will say that I was 17 coming out of the 05/06 lockout.

Not sure why you keep comparing it to the dead puck era. I haven't mentioned it once. The reffing in this league still sucks though and it rewards teams who cheat. You just said it yourself. The Kings lay picks, and throw late hits which slow down the game. As I said... just because it's more subtle doesn't mean it's not still rampant.

I still think the Kings are a mediocre team tbh. Looking forward to them falling off their hot streak. Might already have happened. They just lost to the lowly Blue Jackets.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
The Kings will throw a hit instead of interference on plays that are borderline enough where they aren't considered impeding or interference and wherein the player had the puck and released it. The Kings also play some picks and use some body position to create some open ice.

At no point do I see Kings players crosschecking opponents countless times a game or grabbing onto them for a ten count.

Really I do question you ever watched dead puck era hockey.

Kings play sensible all zone hockey and I love a well played game. love the physicality of Kings hockey as well.

btw while were seeking clarity here two weeks ago you were going on about the Kings being a "mediocre" club... pffftttt. ;)

I'm sure Spawn will respond but to me this seems to be focusing on semantics. His main point is that the lack of calling penalties is getting ridiculous. Maybe it's not the exact same as the dead puck but it's absolutely leading to slower and more boring hockey. The best defensive play to use right now isn't hitting or separating someone from the puck, it's textbook obstruction.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Of course we could also be talking about full blown tin-hat conspiracy. Anyone?

I mean if the oilers have a bad record they might be forced to trade some star players south, amirite?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Sure I watched it. Although I will say that I was 17 coming out of the 05/06 lockout.

Not sure why you keep comparing it to the dead puck era. I haven't mentioned it once. The reffing in this league still sucks though and it rewards teams who cheat. You just said it yourself. The Kings lay picks, and throw late hits which slow down the game. As I said... just because it's more subtle doesn't mean it's not still rampant.

I still think the Kings are a mediocre team tbh. Looking forward to them falling off their hot streak. Might already have happened. They just lost to the lowly Blue Jackets.

The last thing i'd ever want to see is hockey played where size doesn't matter at all and a game with no hits, no D being able to touch anything is ever allowed and where pint sized runts like Gaudreau rule every game. Really that's the last thing I want to see in the NHL.

I'll pick the physically superior Kings all day in terms of preference of style. I like physical hitting hockey. Win or lose the Kings bring that game and always entertaining for a fan that likes the physical hitting game.

I'll also mention if I see the NHL start to be called like NBA basketball I'll stop watching and have no want to see that garbage where anything gets called and theres zero flow in the game.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
What are peoples thoughts on Reinhart's play? I think he's looked pretty solid defensively and has made good decisions with the puck. I believe it was him who set up Yakupov with that great chance in the third that went off the post.

I've been extremely happy with his play. He plays a quiet, effective game. I was a critic of his when drafted (and post draft), and was pretty on the fence when we made the deal, and I've come right around

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Remove offsides from the game...just like the 2 line pass...offsides is just a defensive advantage. Players intentionally knock the other team offsides...player have to slow down to stay onside...maybe the old ball hockey rule....once u gain the blue then there is no offside unless the puck goes back over the centre line...would allow for more attacking with speed, less neutral zone trap

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The last thing i'd ever want to see is hockey played where size doesn't matter at all and a game with no hits, no D being able to touch anything is ever allowed and where pint sized runts like Gaudreau rule every game. Really that's the last thing I want to see in the NHL.

I'll pick the physically superior Kings all day in terms of preference of style. I like physical hitting hockey. Win or lose the Kings bring that game and always entertaining for a fan that likes the physical hitting game.

I'll also mention if I see the NHL start to be called like NBA basketball I'll stop watching and have no want to see that garbage where anything gets called and theres zero flow in the game.

I'm all for hitting. I have little patience to watch games where a pick is thrown on every play and a player is held up on every other one. Hitting and cheating have nothing to do with each other. The Kings are a terrible hockey team to watch. You're one of the few people (outside of Kings fans) who don't recognize that.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Hitting is allowed in the rules so you'd be fine if we saw penalties being called again.

I think you're blind if you don't see the obstruction happening every single game. The play McDavid got injured on is a perfect example of it. Dude is clearly clutching to his legs before Connor trips and goes down. Not malicious but definitely should be a penalty...

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Hitting is allowed in the rules so you'd be fine if we saw penalties being called again.

I think you're blind if you don't see the obstruction happening every single game. The play McDavid got injured on is a perfect example of it. Dude is clearly clutching to his legs before Connor trips and goes down. Not malicious but definitely should be a penalty...

Or Cullen on Gryba last night ...so much of this happening all game now..the frustrating part is lack of consistency....Pouliot got called for the exact same play a couple games ago

McDeathbyCheerios*

Except games with lots of trapping and interference and obstruction every game have no flow either. It's basically just muscle your way into a greasy goal or a weird bounce and win the game 2-1. It's boring garbage hockey.

I'm fine with big hits. I don't like players being tripped or plain old interefered with.

Let's make the nets smaller while we are at it and remove goalie interference allow these "tough" teams to force their ways into goals.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Or Cullen on Gryba last night ...so much of this happening all game now..the frustrating part is lack of consistency....Pouliot got called for the exact same play a couple games ago

Like I said, it's considered a legit defensive play now which is ridiculous. Gryba was doing it to Kessel last night too. No one team is free of blame but if the refs won't call it, why wouldn't you do it?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm sure Spawn will respond but to me this seems to be focusing on semantics. His main point is that the lack of calling penalties is getting ridiculous. Maybe it's not the exact same as the dead puck but it's absolutely leading to slower and more boring hockey. The best defensive play to use right now isn't hitting or separating someone from the puck, it's textbook obstruction.

The current product is excellent and NHL games are typically harder fought in current seasons and with increasing standard of play and attention to detail.

This is frankly this year some of the best Pens play I've seen in years. Usually I have trouble considering teams like the Caps and Pens as contenders. This year they're playing better all round hockey.

I appreciate well played hockey on all zones. Not sure why that isn't something that can be enjoyed as well.

it was a good hockey game last night.

Interestingly the Pens game played last night reminds me a lot of the way Crosby and company play anytime they are playing for Team Canada in the Olympics. Its winning hockey.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I don't think anyone could (or is) argue that it's as bad as the clutch n' grab era.

But systems are way, way, better than they used to be, players are faster, and even a little bit of hooking or interference breaks up the play completely, especially in the neutral zone.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The current product is excellent and NHL games are typically harder fought in current seasons and with increasing standard of play and attention to detail.

This is frankly this year some of the best Pens play I've seen in years. Usually I have trouble considering teams like the Caps and Pens as contenders. This year they're playing better all round hockey.

I appreciate well played hockey on all zones. Not sure why that isn't something that can be enjoyed as well.

Really? I found the game to be quite boring. The Penguins clogged up the neutral zone and there was very little flow to the game. You'd think a game featuring some of the NHL's best talent would be a nice open game but no, it was no different than playing the Coyotes.

Actually that's not fair, the Coyotes are actually an exciting team now.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm all for hitting. I have little patience to watch games where a pick is thrown on every play and a player is held up on every other one. Hitting and cheating have nothing to do with each other. The Kings are a terrible hockey team to watch. You're one of the few people (outside of Kings fans) who don't recognize that.

You're watching the continued evolution of higher hockey. With even teams like the Caps and Pens buying into to allzone structured sensible play. Really the same game that Team Canada plays in any Olympic tournament.

Which you call cheating. :D

People seem to love when Team Canada is playing effective hockey and winning Olympic gold and glory.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Like I said, it's considered a legit defensive play now which is ridiculous. Gryba was doing it to Kessel last night too. No one team is free of blame but if the refs won't call it, why wouldn't you do it?

Cause it does get called...when the ref feels like it...inconsistent officiating on a lot of calls like holding and interference....the call against Davidson happens almost every single face off....so why did the ref decide to call it that exact moment.....that's the real frustrating thing for fans.....or the slash on the stick call for hall.....happens 20 times a game ...but the ref decides to call it ....inconsistent officiating that makes you wonder if there is something going on

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I agree with this.
The Refs have to set the precedent in these games. Hockey like last night (LA Kings hockey) is junk to watch.
I am surprised to see this clutch and grab hockey work its way back into the NHL game.
Hopefully it isnt a long term trend.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Interestingly the Pens game played last night reminds me a lot of the way Crosby and company play anytime they are playing for Team Canada in the Olympics. Its winning hockey.

Winning yes, interesting no. The pens are my second team and I was pumped for this season after the Kessel trade. I've been very disappointed by their play and don't think it'll lead to any post season success. They don't have the roster to grind this out. It's like the post Halak meltdown Caps (in.... 2011?).

I also didn't enjoy the Olympic win nearly as much as the world championship win despite the much lower level of competition. The games were just so incredibly dull for me.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Really? I found the game to be quite boring. The Penguins clogged up the neutral zone and there was very little flow to the game. You'd think a game featuring some of the NHL's best talent would be a nice open game but no, it was no different than playing the Coyotes.

Actually that's not fair, the Coyotes are actually an exciting team now.

Seeing the Pens play an honest game in which they checked reasonably well was progress in my books. Steps to better competed hockey. When a team is playing well, and a coaching staff can look at the play and say that the team is playing well, and playing its sytem that's the brand of hcokey I like. When countless scoring chances happen out of flat out lousy broken coverage I tend to think I'm watching poorly coached amateur displays.

Coaching is an essential part of the best team play. When teams evoke that its better hockey. Its better any sport.

When I'm watching CFL football and I see blown coverages and guys wide open in the end zone I'm not getting pumped because it was a TD. I'm thinking its just a bad blown play and expecting better.

That's the best way I can explain it.

Liked the game last night and its positive that the Oilers are learning more to play the game by limiting opponent chances.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Seeing the Pens play an honest game in which they checked reasonably well was progress in my books. Steps to better competed hockey. When a team is playing well, and a coaching staff can look at the play and say that the team is playing well, and playing its sytem that's the brand of hcokey I like. When countless scoring chances happen out of flat out lousy broken coverage I tend to think I'm watching poorly coached amateur displays.

Coaching is an essential part of the best team play. When teams evoke that its better hockey. Its better any sport.

When I'm watching CFL football and I see blown coverages and guys wide open in the end zone I'm not getting pumped because it was a TD. I'm thinking its just a bad blown play and expecting better.

That's the best way I can explain it.

Liked the game last night and its positive that the Oilers are learning more to play the game by limiting opponent chances.

There's absolutely no speed to it though. I get what you're saying but that was about as close to trapping as you could get. It felt like watching the Lemaire-era Wild. A game involving Crosby, Malkin, and Hall should never be boring but this is the era we live in. You clog up the neutral zone you win. That was textbook Kings hockey last night and I don't think even McDavid could've made that exciting.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

The bolded brings up a beef I had with the 2nd goal by Kessel last night. This beef is towards Klefbom and the rest of the PK unit. Both Crosby and Kessel were standing right in Nilsson's kitchen, with absolutely no defensive help to move the bodies. I know it was a PP, but that play was ridiculous on the Oilers PK part.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Couple things I noticed last night, in my first (almost) full game I saw this team play since halfway thru Eak's first season:
1) The team really missed MacDavid blazing around with the puck on a string. The feeling that the team was due to score one or two more just wasn't the same as when MacDavid is there. Having two strong lines makes a world of difference.
2) Draisaitl is tha man. I haven't seen much of the other players from his draft class but I doubt there's a better player from it. He reminds me of Getzlaf the way he protects the puck, and how he makes great passes to the right players in the right areas without being flashy, just by making very smart, quick and accurate passes. He has the an offensive dimension over Getzlaf of beating players using his speed but RG has leadership qualities and defense that's hard to match. Still, we got really lucky getting a player that good at 3rd overall.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Winning yes, interesting no. The pens are my second team and I was pumped for this season after the Kessel trade. I've been very disappointed by their play and don't think it'll lead to any post season success. They don't have the roster to grind this out. It's like the post Halak meltdown Caps (in.... 2011?).

I also didn't enjoy the Olympic win nearly as much as the world championship win despite the much lower level of competition. The games were just so incredibly dull for me.

Well, its your opinion then. But its great hockey and what the best teams play. Winning is equivalent to playing good on all zones and with attention to detail. Even for the Chicago Black Hawks who have some of the best D and responsible team play in the game when it matters. people can think watching Duncan Keith or Toews play is boring I guess because they play near picture perfect hockey. I see it as excellence.

Again kudos to the Oilers making some headway in at least competing in a game like last night. Used to be players like Hall would just come back to the bench and break a stick in a game like this. Now they're trying to play it. Not be frustrated by it.

Also lost in the conversation is the Oilers are starting to show signs of being an effective counter team. If they can just keep putting in the work results will come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad