Post-Game Talk: Pens 2 Oilers 1

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Who cares? Find a way to win.

If we want to win we have to start playing hockey like the Pens. Clamp down defensively allowing nothing and capitalize on the few chances we get. A strong defence will wins us a lot of games and championships. It's boring, but I'd take boring wins over exciting losses and no playoffs anyday of the week.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
If we want to win we have to start playing hockey like the Pens. Clamp down defensively allowing nothing and capitalize on the few chances we get. A strong defence will wins us a lot of games and championships. It's boring, but I'd take boring wins over exciting losses and no playoffs anyday of the week.

you're probably right. We have the players to create offense, but just don't have the finishers; at least not yet. Eberle can finish, Hall is pretty good, but more of a volume chance producer. Perhaps Draisaitl, perhaps McDavid, tho not really proven yet (he'll have to give up on the these dekes and improve in his sniping).

We don't have a Tarasenko, Seguin, Stamkos. Yak was supposed to be that player, but.... well, we all know the story.

Last edited:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

That style of play is fine for the playoffs because every game is so important. But makes for a boring, slow regular season. I'd prefer the Oilers play their traditional up-tempo strong forecheck game and rely on ratings and the media to pressure the NHL to create an environment where that style of play can be successful.

Imo, more scoring chances > less scoring chances. If the NHL wants to increase their popularity in the US they need to emphasize the excitement of the game. Grinding wins is OK for hardcore fans but it doesn't win over new people a easily.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
That style of play is fine for the playoffs because every game is so important. But makes for a boring, slow regular season. I'd prefer the Oilers play their traditional up-tempo strong forecheck game and rely on ratings and the media to pressure the NHL to create an environment where that style of play can be successful.

Imo, more scoring chances > less scoring chances. If the NHL wants to increase their popularity in the US they need to emphasize the excitement of the game. Grinding wins is OK for hardcore fans but it doesn't win over new people a easily.

The only way to increase scoring chances is get junior and nhl coaches to stop teaching defensive positioning. Most players are good defensively so now you have carbon copy bottom 6's across the nhl that play limited minutes but all accomplish nearly the same thing - nothing. Everyone is fast and everyone is taught defence first unless they're a top 6 player.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

They'll never make the playoffs if they can't cut down on the chances they give up though. That's the problem with this group. In today's NHL you don't see a lot of 6-5 games, most are 3-2, or 2-1 grind it out hockey games. If the Oilers got good at clogging up the neutral zone, I could see us winning a lot of games because of the chances that would be created from bad turnovers.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
The only way to increase scoring chances is get junior and nhl coaches to stop teaching defensive positioning. Most players are good defensively so now you have carbon copy bottom 6's across the nhl that play limited minutes but all accomplish nearly the same thing - nothing. Everyone is fast and everyone is taught defence first unless they're a top 6 player.

Call the blatant holding and interface and the problem is 75% gone. PPs are at a low point. Call the game like they did after the first lockout and the game will open up.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Call the blatant holding and interface and the problem is 75% gone. PPs are at a low point. Call the game like they did after the first lockout and the game will open up.

They don't though. That's why teams like the Kings are so successful

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

Can't..That's where all the injuries/concussions started/came from.

If you want to eliminate the hooking/holding/obstructions, you have to start calling the late hits...so no more "finishing your check"...That would open up the play but less hits for the sake of hits. It would be back to old time hockey again..before the 90's.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Very true. The game is simply not as entertaining as it used to be, and skill and creativity aren't as apparent.

while I agree to an extent... Chicago has won 3 Cups in the past 5 years playing some of the most entertaining hockey in the league...

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Just watched the game replay

Good god. This wasn't just 'bad luck'.
We had 3 former 1st overall picks that were completely ineffective tonight. Go look at the list of past 1st overall forwards that aren't Oiler players, they don't have nights off. We have 3 that all did. There was no chemistry tonight. Yakupov shouldn't need McDavid, and Hall and RNH shouldn't need each other. They should be better than that.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Just watched the game replay

Good god. This wasn't just 'bad luck'.
We had 3 former 1st overall picks that were completely ineffective tonight. Go look at the list of past 1st overall forwards that aren't Oiler players, they don't have nights off. We have 3 that all did. There was no chemistry tonight. Yakupov shouldn't need McDavid, and Hall and RNH shouldn't need each other. They should be better than that.

Sure they do.

John Tavares doesn't have a point in his last three games.
Steven Stamkos has 10 points in 16 games
Sidney Crosby only has points in 4 of 14 games this year.

Every player in the league has off nights.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Sure they do.

John Tavares doesn't have a point in his last three games.
Steven Stamkos has 10 points in 16 games
Sidney Crosby only has points in 4 of 14 games this year.

Every player in the league has off nights.

Alright, fair enough.

I just feel our expectations are too low for these guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad