Pens 2, Flames 1 - Bortz Suspended, Engo to Defense, Despres Stays Away Edition

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Right but when he's not calling a Canuck game, he's really good. And yah having a good announcer's voice is part of it (not being annoyed by a voice is important), but generally he knows how to call a game much better than the most of the American announcers I've heard. He knows how to keep an audience interested without going overboard (like Emrick and the loonatics in Buffalo and Washington). And he's not a total dewshbag like that CBC guy who calls all the Leaf games. Generally we don't have muchto work with south of the border in terms of hockey playcallers, but based on what we have I don't know of anyone who is appreciably better than Hughson. If there are, tell me which team so I can watch more of them.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Mike Lange remains my favorite... I wish the radio and TV synced up better. Its a crying shame that a whole generation of Pens fans have no clue when you say Scratch my back with a hacksaw....

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Mike Lange remains my favorite... I wish the radio and TV synced up better. Its a crying shame that a whole generation of Pens fans have no clue when you say Scratch my back with a hacksaw....

I've always like Lange but I've resigned myself to the fact that he's never coming back because of politics. Also the older he gets the less that becomes a desirable outcome anyway. That ship has sailed.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
If both Vitale and Gibbons are out for Wednesday and no one else comes back, I'd move Jokinen to Sid's RW, Sill to Geno's LW (his tenacity and board work might work on that line), and call up Scrabbles.

Kunitz-Crosby-Jokinen
Sill-Malkin-Neal
Zolniercyzk-Sutter-Pyatt
Gladams-Engo

It's really, really ugly, but I think that's the best we can do.

GlAdEngos ate my baby :laugh:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
John Forslund's probably better than Hughson. The entire Canes broadcast is the best local hockey broadcast in the states.

Imagine if there was a segment on Root where someone more professional than Jay Caufield told you how Derrick Pouliot and Marco Macaroni did in their games that night. Imagine if Bob Errey watched all 60 goals Thomas Hertl scored in the NHL and czech leagues and read a book about his home town as game prep for a random game against San Jose. Imagine between-whistle segments were spent diagramming the other team's faceoff plays instead of talking about George Clooney.

That's the Canes broadcast.

Anyways, Penguins won, but they're back to flunking the eyeball test again, like they were at the beginning of the year.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I like Dallas' guys better than the Canes but that's just me. Either way Hughson is a much better play caller than either of those guys IMO.

Last edited:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Sometimes Reigh (sp?) falls a bit too in love with himself on the air for my tastes. Not all the time, but some of the time.

Both Dallas and the Canes feed are far better than our bull**** broadcast.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
You know we really should all be spelling Gladams GLADAMSS which is to say GLADAMSS And GLAdamSS

Also if you pronounce Gladamss with the extra "s" it sort of sounds like Gollum's "Precioussssss"

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Two more things before this gets closed.

-Glass made one excellent play on the PK last night. His stick broke, but 4 guys had their back to him and didn't see it. Glass recognized this and had the presence of mind to get back to the bench to get another one (instead of just standing there with no stick) before anyone on Calgary figured out what was going on. Adams found himself in the same situation later and did not have the same presence of mind. Fleury had to knock the puck into the crowd to relieve the pressure in the second case.

-Engelland fighting McGrattan was Pejorative Slured. You do not "stage fight" Brian McGrattan unless you're a 30 second a night player, 6'8, or he injures somebody on your team.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco

Abashaw: Nah. It's hard enough staying awake while taking antihistamines. Sid would put me to sleep until dinner time.

but then you'll miss the tweet question asking sid about how he keeps his skin silky smooth :laugh:

the video on the CBC website kept freezing on me. so here's the youtube:

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I can deal with having Glass on the team as long as Adams wasn't on it.

Even contending teams has that one dude at the bottom of the depth chart that they can kind of insulate, so it's not like we're unique in that sense.

It's having both of them, and when healthy, having both of them on the same line that it becomes a liability. It's how they're used as well that just makes things that much worse.

Rorabaugh tried to act smart last night when Adams' plus/minus was pointed out to him. He laughed it off and gave a stupid response that the stat means very little, and he'd be glad to discuss "Advanced Stats" like he was a professor of NHL studies.

Advanced stats are nice, but I grew up playing, watching, studying. I don't need some nerd to tell me that Adams and Glass spend a ton of time in their own zone. When I asked him to humor me, he was stupid enough to send me a Corsi link where GlAdams numbers in possession time were HORRIBLE (proving my point)

Then he actually had the nerve to say "Well, those numbers are going to be skewed because of the role they're asked to play", like I'm some ****ing Gen-X fan. Well, if their numbers are skewed because they're asked to play a defensive role, than maybe they shouldn't be put out there against other top lines like they're perennial Selke candidates.

One of the things I hate most in life is when media people, not just the ones who cover sports, think that because they chose to be in the media, that they somehow know more about the subject than some fans because they have a bigger forum because of their chosen profession.

Rossi, Yohe, Rorabaugh, Anderson, all ****ing clueless. No better than cheerleaders. Letang has ONE good game, and Yohe writes an entire article about it, forgetting how he's sucked in every other game he's played before and since.

Nothing is going to change with this team. Not a damn thing.

what do you know? they got paid for that, and they have each other on all these shows and tweets...

f..... morons

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Right but when he's not calling a Canuck game, he's really good. And yah having a good announcer's voice is part of it (not being annoyed by a voice is important), but generally he knows how to call a game much better than the most of the American announcers I've heard. He knows how to keep an audience interested without going overboard (like Emrick and the loonatics in Buffalo and Washington). And he's not a total dewshbag like that CBC guy who calls all the Leaf games. Generally we don't have muchto work with south of the border in terms of hockey playcallers, but based on what we have I don't know of anyone who is appreciably better than Hughson. If there are, tell me which team so I can watch more of them.
Sam Rosen is my favourite play-by-play guy. For a regional broadcaster, he's incredibly unbiased and seems to really be a fan of the game more than anything else.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Sports writers are no more knowledgable than any idiot posting on HFBoards, they just happen to have journalism degrees. Don't take anything they say seriously, it's not worth getting pissed about.

I really believe that they do have some effect. They create atmosphere in which mediocrity becomes standard and management of the club can easily oversee the real problems. For example: Had they started writing how much Orpik sucks rather than being great in the last few years maybe that would help them at least acknowled the issue...ge

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I really believe that they do have some effect. They create atmosphere in which mediocrity becomes standard and management of the club can easily oversee the real problems. For example: Had they started writing how much Orpik sucks rather than being great in the last few years maybe that would help them at least acknowled the issue...ge

Unless you get a guy like Brooks who is a long time fixture that writes with the knowledge that the coaches and players are revolving doors, most of the journalists, especially in Pgh, won't push the issues.

First, because they have to have working relationships with the players and coaches. Secondly, most of these guys don't really understand the nuts and bolts of the game. Wasn't it Rossi who didn't know what an F3 was and thought that was Neal's permanent position?

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Unless you get a guy like Brooks who is a long time fixture that writes with the knowledge that the coaches and players are revolving doors, most of the journalists, especially in Pgh, won't push the issues.

First, because they have to have working relationships with the players and coaches. Secondly, most of these guys don't really understand the nuts and bolts of the game. Wasn't it Rossi who didn't know what an F3 was and thought that was Neal's permanent position?

This makes the trib commercials on the radio even better. Yohe and Rossi talking about how they breakdown the game better than anyone.

Neither one of them could have ever really played before. I'd say the at least 25% of HF board regulars (which is thousands) know much more than they do about the game.

bradshaw06

Dec 7, 2009
New Jersey
I can deal with having Glass on the team as long as Adams wasn't on it.

Even contending teams has that one dude at the bottom of the depth chart that they can kind of insulate, so it's not like we're unique in that sense.

It's having both of them, and when healthy, having both of them on the same line that it becomes a liability. It's how they're used as well that just makes things that much worse.

Rorabaugh tried to act smart last night when Adams' plus/minus was pointed out to him. He laughed it off and gave a stupid response that the stat means very little, and he'd be glad to discuss "Advanced Stats" like he was a professor of NHL studies.

Advanced stats are nice, but I grew up playing, watching, studying. I don't need some nerd to tell me that Adams and Glass spend a ton of time in their own zone. When I asked him to humor me, he was stupid enough to send me a Corsi link where GlAdams numbers in possession time were HORRIBLE (proving my point)

Then he actually had the nerve to say "Well, those numbers are going to be skewed because of the role they're asked to play", like I'm some ****ing Gen-X fan. Well, if their numbers are skewed because they're asked to play a defensive role, than maybe they shouldn't be put out there against other top lines like they're perennial Selke candidates.

One of the things I hate most in life is when media people, not just the ones who cover sports, think that because they chose to be in the media, that they somehow know more about the subject than some fans because they have a bigger forum because of their chosen profession.

Rossi, Yohe, Rorabaugh, Anderson, all ****ing clueless. No better than cheerleaders. Letang has ONE good game, and Yohe writes an entire article about it, forgetting how he's sucked in every other game he's played before and since.

Nothing is going to change with this team. Not a damn thing.

I couldn't believe his response when he said it. So dense. Looks like he has since deleted those tweets.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014

That is your opinion. I can't stand listening to any game that Jim Hughson announces. Whether it be HNIC or his local Canucks broadcast. He has one of the most irritating voices out there. Very monotone and little excitement unless its the Canucks scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad