Post-Game Talk: Pens 2, Devils 1 (OT) - The IC Just Wet Himself Edition

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
That and also we don't have the right mix on D. Hradek was on the other day was saying the Pens should have looked for someone of Lappierre's caliber on defense because we have way too many of the same type of defenseman on our roster. We don't have anyone that can make life miserable for other teams that like to plant themselves in Fleurys paint freely.

Yeah, another physical dman would be nice for sure. Don't know where to get one though.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Hitch is one of the best tacticians and disciplinarians in the league, so what he said isn't a big surprise.

All in all though, their playoff struggles are pretty epic as well.

Beating the trap isn't rocket surgery. It never has been. It's also a lot easier now that they don't have to do soft/corner dumps with MB retired.

Staying disciplined and staying in your 1-2, angling and attacking the puck carrier, dumping the puck, double chipping, getting in on the forechecking and working hard, all of that isn't exciting or much fun to play, but it works.

Every system can be exploited, but it's almost always the team that stays disciplined that comes out on top in these types of games.

Rocket surgery? :laugh:

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
This morning, I had 12 strips of bacon instead of 6 in honor of Fatty's OT winner

CrosbytoKessel

Jan 8, 2015
Despres has played amazing this year. Him and Tanger looked great. so happy we didn't trade both of them they're beasts.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
How in the world are we 1 point behind the Islanders for a division lead, though?? :laugh:

Our next 4 games are against the West too, which is not too bad. Nashville without Rinne, then Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver. Home vs Detroit and at Ottawa. All winnable, I mean not exactly the easiest stretch but we are usually doing pretty decent against the teams like these. Not mentioning that Malkin and Comeau should be returning at some point here.

Let´s build on tonight´s game, there were some positives and improvements.

Pens should come through that with one lose, no more, I'm thinking Vancouver OR Detroit. Anything else and I would be disappointed.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Pens should come through that with one lose, no more, I'm thinking Vancouver OR Detroit. Anything else and I would be disappointed.

Of those six teams, all of them are playing relatively well apart from Edmonton and Ottawa.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

That kind of talk is going to get your Caps fan card revoked. :laugh:

Really? Lappy has been pretty invisible imo. Downie and him don't work that well together. Not seeing the physicality that he was supposed to bring either.

He had a nice hit on Green in the first period of the Caps game and was pounding the Devils defense as well, 8 hits in two road games isn't too shabby.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
What's most impressive about Despres is that he's basically a rookie. I don't count any time under Bylsma as productive development.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Reading between the lines, I don't think they trust Despres against top matchups (or, at least Scuderi - Despres), but at the same time, don't want to play him 10-12 minutes a night on the 3rd pair

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/2015/02/01/yohe-beau-bennett-on-his-benching/#axzz3QSIDnX48

A pretty candid interview with Beau about being benched.

“I need to handle the puck,†he said. “I can’t throw it away. I need to move my feet more and get to the net. Those first couple of games (after the break), not that I was playing bad, but I wasn’t doing anything positive. When I’m not doing anything positive with the puck, I’m honestly a non-factor. It was frustrating for me. I know the coaches were frustrated, too."

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Letang has been so much better in this system... watch the start of last season to see how lost and frustrated he was in the old one... he was trying too hard to justify that contract while playing a system that really took away his skating with the puck strength.
Kinda makes you wonder how Neal would have done in this system.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm still not getting why other players have been allowed extended stretches of being crap or invisible without anything happening. You know, Sutter, Kunitz, Punchy, Sill and Scuderi, to name a few. Surely they would benefit from a healthy scratch or two? Well, not Kunitz, he'd probably like it too much. It's just ever so confusing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad