Post-Game Talk: Pens 2, Devils 1 (OT) - The IC Just Wet Himself Edition

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
+Great shift in OT by 47.

+Team MVP is looking like Letang's to lose. If he keeps playing like this, he might get another Norris nomination.

+Martin was quietly awesome.

~Downie was a mixed bag

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
-Mike Johnston
Scratches Bennett, keeps Despres to the bottom pairing most games, doesn't make adjustments, poor in interviews, plays the "washed up veterans" every chance he gets.

So I ask again, what does Johnston do better than Bylsma? In all his years coaching the Pens, how many players did you see barely giving any effort and only along for the ride? He would never give someone who doesn't work hard a roster spot on his team

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I think if you REALLY want to rip Kunitz, you can find reasons in this game to do so. On the whole though, he had a very decent game and was crucial in the instances where we actually won the game.

Except from a few instances we owned this game. Their goal started flukey with Bernier getting an assist from the linesman, and while Borts didn't look good on it (unlucky more so), that is more so on Fleury (can't happen, it wasn't exactly Gretzky going round the cage) and also Harrington who was slow to pick up the danger.

I REALLY liked how we did what other teams have been doing to us in pushing up and keeping the puck in their zone. Sure, New Jersey is one of the most offensively inept teams in the league and there was less risk being that agressive than against most others, but it showed that we can.... and we really need to practice that more.

Despres-Letang..... awesome. I wonder why NO ONE has EVER considered that such a pairing might own?

---- Johnston if Bennett is truly a HEALTHY healthy scratch. OK, he was weak sauce against Washington but hardly alone in that, and there are no circumstances where a healthy Bennett should sit and the 4th line sludge play.

Speaking of 4th line sludge.... gotta say that this was more like it from Lapierre, and as worthless as Adams is with the puck, in this one he certainly did his job taking the body.

MOM other than Schneider was clearly Letang. On a torrid run lately, but not just piling up points. Playing really, really good D at the same time. Great to see.

And Simon.... give that man a pie. Awesomezt.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
-Mike Johnston
Scratches Bennett, keeps Despres to the bottom pairing most games, doesn't make adjustments, poor in interviews, plays the "washed up veterans" every chance he gets.

So I ask again, what does Johnston do better than Bylsma? In all his years coaching the Pens, how many players did you see barely giving any effort and only along for the ride? He would never give someone who doesn't work hard a roster spot on his team

if you think johnston is poor in interview you must think bylsma has severe mental Pejorative Sluration

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
That's the most damning thing. Sure, he's getting older and he's in the inevitable decline but the bigger problem is pure laziness. idk if he wants out or thinks effort is beneath him but it's ridiculous.

The coaching staff taught him a lesson by healthy scratching a potential threat for being a fraction as bad as Kunitz for a few games.

BB has been atrocious. Your analogy of Kunitz being "a fraction" better than BB is a joke. That's like saying Crosby is "a fraction better" than Sill

Michael8771*

Perron is arguably the hardest working forward on the team. I have very little issue with him except (that on occasion) he's a little risky with his passes. But Damn, he's a hungry, skilled and a tenacious player. Great deal by JR.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
if you think johnston is poor in interview you must think bylsma has severe mental Pejorative Sluration

The above is so true.

Getting back to the game, pens beat a very bad Devil's team. The pens D were rarely hit, Devils forechecking was almost non-existent. Let's wait until Sunday's result against one of the top teams is in before if the celebration is to continue.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
[/COLOR]The above is so true.

Getting back to the game, pens beat a very bad Devil's team. The pens D were rarely hit, Devils forechecking was almost non-existent. Let's wait until Sunday's result against one of the top teams is in before if the celebration is to continue.

No one is really celebrating though.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
So basically this was the first total Pens game I missed in a while due to having to drive back from Charleston... So I don't watch and they win... that sucks... otherwise I am happy with how it sounded at least

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
-Mike Johnston

I'm just super curious - who are the "washed up veterans" you speak of?

pensfansince88

Feb 5, 2012
Perron will be good until he fully becomes part of the family/country club. then he'll start taking games off.

boring game, but i'll take the OT win

Whambino

Nov 28, 2014
So now that thats over with. Can we talk about MJ's systems beating the trap and outshooting the Devils by a wide margin? Or are we going to beat up MJ about something as well?

Great point man. He was able to keep them focused and playing the game they needed to. We did a really good job possessing the puck and made the right plays. On top of that, we did all the little things, which this club has been lacking of in the past. I like that MJ has the guys being flexible and isn't having them throw one game plan at every team. Usually the Pens carry the puck through the neutral zone and into the attacking zone but tonight we dumped, battled, and created turnovers ALL game, even when we were down. If they can keep this smart, puck-possession hockey up, I feel very confident in this team heading into the playoffs. We're a much better squad this year. I also do like the make-up they have right now. I know a lot of people don't like the idea of Sill and Adams, but they are puck-possession, forechecking guys and I believe that'll pay off for us in the long run.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
This wan't a game to be negative about. I was steaming all day about the Bennett scratch, but the fact is the Pens dominated this game. Granted it was against a pretty bad team, but you have to play who's on your schedule. This wasn't one of those games where they won by 3 even though the play was even and they simply out skilled them. They pushed the pace from start to finish and won the way they're supposed to.

Kunitz was actually pretty good today, or at least he was better than he has been. Still lost the puck in his feet a few times and starting falling all over the place as the game went on, but that whole line was good.

I have no idea how anyone could give Sid a minus or even. I thought he was flying and deserved at least a goal if not more.

My biggest thing tonight was putting Letang and Despres together. They pushed the offense and helped maintain possession in the offensive zone. Letang and Martin together is a pairing I can't stand because while Martin is pretty good from his own net until the opposing blue line, I find his play offensively is pretty feeble once past the blue line. His shot selection is horrible and he's not strong enough to win battles on the boards when trying to squeeze down to pinch off the boards. I found that pairing those two, and even Harrington and Bort together helped the cycle a ton.

As for Scuds? I appreciate what he can do positionally and how "professional" he is in his own zone, but again, all that doesn't make up for what he CAN'T do. The mistakes he makes are never blatant ones, and some would argue they aren't even mistakes. But man I wonder how much is lost by this team every time he just bangs it off the glass instead of passing to an outlet. I wonder how much offensive zone time is lost every time he shoots it wide "ON PURPOSE." I can't help but wonder what would happen when on the occasion he does shoot the puck, it's not some creampuff shot that's easily knocked down by a defender.

It won't happen, but I'd love to see what would happen to our possession game if Scuderi was sat for a few games for Pouliot. Pouliot's not quite NHL ready yet, but it would be a nice experiment, just to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad