Post-Game Talk: Pens 2, Bolts 1 - Cup Bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
ESPN giving hockey analysis is brain numbing. apparently the pens are a whiny team.

They were, but that changed under Sullivan.

That is coming from Rick Tocchet himself in an interview. Tocch basically saying we were constantly whining/barking at the refs, but that Sullivan put a stop to all that.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

That is coming from Rick Tocchet himself in an interview. Tocch basically saying we were constantly whining/barking at the refs, but that Sullivan put a stop to all that.

Thats what im saying, people dont realize the pens are MUCH different from previous years or even in November of 15. Completely different.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Tough to believe the Penguins, as a group, were dense enough to think that would be an effective strategy all those years. It's probably done a lot more harm than good. A lot. It's pretty clear they are much calmer as a team, now. And I really liked Sullivan telling his team to shut the **** up and sit the **** down a few games back.

On another note... I think it's kind of cool that the Penguins and Sharks respective affiliates will be playing for the Kelly Cup in the ECHL. It's been a while since the Nailers have been in a position to win a Championship. Since the Thunderbirds days, actually.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

It's probably a lot easier to not engage in that sort of thing when you feel like you have an advocate on your side.

This difference in presence between Sullivan and MJ/Bylsma is staggering.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's probably a lot easier not engage in that sort of thing when you feel like you have an advocate on your side.

Also there just seems to be a lot more respect for Sullivan than either MJ or Bylsma.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's probably a lot easier not engage in that sort of thing when you feel like you have an advocate on your side.

Yeah, that's a really good point. It had to be really deflating a lot of the time to have to rely on Dan Bylsma to speak up for your forcefully but eloquently and with purpose. Nevermind the human bucket of wallpaper paste, Mike Johnston. That guy was about as uninspiring as it gets.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
When you see Sullivan laying into guys on the bench because they are chirping too much and doesn't give two ****s less what player it is, that's what you want to see.

Sully is a Torts guy, and Torts is a dick, but one thing Torts does is demand respect. There's no option. You respect him or you ride pine.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
From what I've seen from Sullivan in WBS and here, he's not quite in the same mold as someone like Tortorella.

It's possible that losing his jobs in New York and Vancouver in rapid succession along with Torts forced him to reevaluate things and soften his approach a bit.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Does anyone have that gif where Sullivan is - relatively calmly - arguing a call with the referee. Then one of the players joins in and Sully turns and just erupts at him?

I saw it on Twitter a while back.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
From what I've seen from Sullivan in WBS and here, he's not quite in the same mold as someone like Tortorella.

It's possible that losing his jobs in New York and Vancouver in rapid succession along with Torts forced him to reevaluate things and soften his approach a bit.

Yeah... Torts is crazy. Sullivan seems like a loud hardass but I can't see him throwing the fits that Torts has. I wouldn't even call him a sane Torts, I think Sullivan is more new school than that.

Jacques Martin might be the unsung hero of this time, though.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
does anyone have that gif where sullivan is - relatively calmly - arguing a call with the referee. Then one of the players joins in and sully turns and just erupts at him?

I saw it on twitter a while back.

The player receiving the verbal eruption was Malkin, if I remember right.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
a0G0k.gif

O8IiJj8.jpg

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
I'm not sure how many of you are watching the All Access show on Showtime, but I cannot wait for that to go live.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I'm not sure how many of you are watching the All Access show on Showtime, but I cannot wait for that to go live.

Started watching episode 1 right now and man Cooper is so cool and collected. I was already a big fan but his speech before game 1 was so simple, so relaxed and he was so confident. Compared to Bylsmas random ramblings and awkward pauses it was something else.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Started watching episode 1 right now and man Cooper is so cool and collected. I was already a big fan but his speech before game 1 was so simple, so relaxed and he was so confident. Compared to Bylsmas random ramblings and awkward pauses it was something else.

Spoiler: Hitchcock swears so much it becomes weird. **** is his awkward pause, apparently.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's probably a lot easier to not engage in that sort of thing when you feel like you have an advocate on your side.

Remember when Crosby basically told DB to **** off and DB backed down? :laugh:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I like how Sullivan doesn't complain about officiating one iota in the media, no matter how bad it gets. That's the complete opposite of Tortorella.

You'd think that with spending 8 years attached to Torts's hip he'd develop similar habits, but it seems like Sullivan's learned from his mistakes more than anything.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I like how Sullivan doesn't complain about officiating one iota in the media, no matter how bad it gets. That's the complete opposite of Tortorella.

You'd think that with spending 8 years attached to Torts's hip he'd develop similar habits, but it seems like Sullivan's learned from his mistakes more than anything.

People will get pissed that he uses the WBS kids alot and rolls 4 lines instead of shortening the bench at times, but I'll take that as his vice.

It may actually pay off quite a bit in the next series as Kessel and Malkin have only been averaging 17 minutes/game. They'll be plenty fresh to go up against a team that's older, slower and relies on its star players far more.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I think the personnel issue will be resolved by fixing the last remaining problem areas of the roster this summer.

Get rid of Kunitz and land a stud LW (at least one) and Sullivan won't have any toys to misuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad