GDT: Penguins @ Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
With Penguins playing poorly the previous 3 games, as well as the coach getting ejected from the last game, I think Detroit is going to get their butts thrashed. Unless Coreau stands on his head, Ericsson actually decides that defence means stopping any puck from going in your own net, and the kids come up big.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Can anyone think of a logical reason as to why Abby is on the 4th line and Larkin is stuck on Sheahans wing? Constantly forcing Larkin to play with offensive black holes on the 3rd line can not be good for his devolepment.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Mantha
Athanasiou-Nielsen-Vanek
Tatar-Sheahan-Larkin
Miller-Glendening-Abdelkader

defense pairs at skate:
DeKeyser-Green
Ericsson-Marchenko
Ouellet-Jensen
Looks like Sproul scratched. Kronwall (groin) skating.

Coreau

If Jensen plays tonight it will be his 10th game, so he would need to clear waivers to be sent down to @griffinshockey

At least Abdelkader practiced in the spot he should be playing right now- on the 4th line.

People have said we "need" Larkin to grow at center. It'd be ideal but he still doesn't appear ready- he's better off a wing for now. I honestly thought Sheahan should have gone back to center earlier, he is useless as a winger. He's a very responsible center (though offensively challenged) like Andersson and Emmerton and down the middle is the only position he's had any success in.

AA hasn't been on the "out of this world on fire" level of great that a few believe but he's been good enough and deserves to develop on the second line. That's a heady pair of guys, Nielsen and Vanek- good for Athanasiou to be given the time there (say instead of Larkin or Tatar).

D pairs make the best sense with what we have to work with. Keep guys in the pairing they deserve to be in instead of mixing up and down.

Out of our 3 rookie D I guess I'm on the Jensen train. Between all 3 I don't see a huge variance in ability. They skate the puck out of trouble, make good passes, win battles, etc with about the same effectiveness. For a smaller player Jensen isn't afraid of contact in any way. I agree with Blashill's assessment- he "attacks" the game. He has by far the best skating up ice when he goes, huge full strides- he is the definition of proper power skating technique. Sproul has a truly wicked shot but joining the rush or carrying the puck in Jensen looks the most comfortable IMO. He's only played 9 NHL games I'm enjoying his NHL try-out for now.

Coreau in net is asinine. He isn't 1/2 the goalie Mrazek is. Oh well what does it matter at this point...

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Is it next season that the changes are supposed to take effect toward the reduction of goalie padding? Coreau better get his starts out of the way now, as he's not going to have much of a chance when his size doesn't count for much.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Waivers. He'll get claimed too.

I guess Frk and Pulkkinen were picked up (then waived again, lol). Honest question: what team do you envision claiming Sproul? Current PO teams seem to be content with what they have including their own call-ups. Are you sure Sproul is that desirable?

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Can anyone think of a logical reason as to why Abby is on the 4th line and Larkin is stuck on Sheahans wing? Constantly forcing Larkin to play with offensive black holes on the 3rd line can not be good for his devolepment.

Because trashill is an idiot. I see a 9-1 loss both of our goalies suck right now.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
have you not watched mrazek the past 2+ months? at this point tom mcollum is a better option in net

Those rose coloured glasses make it hard to actually see the reality of the situation. Howard is easily our best. Mrazek and Coreau are both in similar spot at the moment except Coreaus a little younger, a lot bigger, and a lot less experienced. He should be a servicable back up somewhere if he doesnt make it here.

Mrazeks just super down on confidence I think.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
have you not watched mrazek the past 2+ months? at this point tom mcollum is a better option in net

Mrazek inconsistent and moody as a grounded teenager is still a better goaltender than Jake Coreau. I like Coreau and was highly impressed during pre-season. I think in the bigs though there is a gap in talent between him and Mrazek/Howard. The Toronto game was really, really bad. From then on I just think he needs more time. Give the games to Mrazek for better or worse.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Play mrazek for the experience

Who cares if he sucks

Let him find his confidence through playing the game not watching it

If he xant then he doesn't deserve the total of "professional"

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Hahaha

We would have had a 3 on 1, but Abdelkader can't handle the puck to save his life. We must have 3 or 4 of the worst contracts in the NHL, Abdelkader included. 4.25 million bucks for the next decade it seems. He has 8 points this year.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
I wish Ericsson would just take big slap****s whenever he gets a chance. Dude is afraid to shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad