GDT: Penguins vs Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I hope that was more of a promotion of Carcillo for his drawn penalty. Or Kapanen ****ed up somewhere and I didn't see it.

Maybe it was a practical joke on KK.

I can imagine what he must have been thinking. How do you cuss in Europeese?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I think the league needs to step in and put an end to this kind of rookie hazing. KK with Adams is worse than anything I've heard of in the NFL.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I don't think KK is ready, but it's pretty clear that they're adamant about keeping him up for a sniff.

Personally, I think Sundqvist is the guy who deserves it and might not look as out of place for a cup of coffee on LW with Geno and Hornqvist as some might think.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
He can play either if you're going with Hornqvist.

Johnston said a few days ago that Hornqvist is one of those wingers that shouldn't switch.
Here is the quote:

Johnston: "Only certain players can play on their off-wing and some guys really like it. They really like coming across the line on their off-wing, having more options because of their stick being in the middle of the ice. But other players can't do it.(...) Hornqvist is a right winger - he is not a left winger. Bennett feels really comfortable on the left side. (...) I like him on the left side. We have got quite a few right wingers." Kapanen feels better on the left side and felt uncomfortable playing on the right in the last games.

Source

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think the league needs to step in and put an end to this kind of rookie hazing. KK with Adams is worse than anything I've heard of in the NFL.

Clearly the work of Steve Downie, with the Aliu incident in his past he has to be more subtle now.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
So far Spaling has been very nondescript from an offensive standpoint. I understand complimentary players need players they can compliment, but still.

Not too worried about him at this point though.

He's a pretty safe player. He may never be a guy who will wow you on the ice, but he also won't be a guy who hurts you when he's out there.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Pretty accurate assessment, although the guy who I think Sundqvist replaces before his contract expires is Sutter.

Well, Sutter is one of our best forwards and no matter that he has been hated on to unreal extents here much of last season, he'd be a significant loss. Would certainly prefer that we shipped out other players first. Either those with cap-hit like Scuderi/Dupuis, Martin who for contract reasons and depth on D should be on the block.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He's a pretty safe player. He may never be a guy who will wow you on the ice, but he also won't be a guy who hurts you when he's out there.

That would be progress over last year's bottom six.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Well, Sutter is one of our best forwards and no matter that he has been hated on to unreal extents here much of last season, he'd be a significant loss. Would certainly prefer that we shipped out other players first. Either those with cap-hit like Scuderi/Dupuis, Martin who for contract reasons and depth on D should be on the block.

I don't think the Pens will be able to afford Sutter's next contract, not unless they plan to continue to ignore other priorities.

That said, I'll admit to marking pretty hard over Sundqvist. Personally, as I keep saying, I see zero reason NOT to let him have a cup of coffee now and for it to be on LW with Geno and Horny. He's earned that. Really does remind me of Staal's rookie camp, where he just plays such a smart game and keeps getting better.

Michael8771*

Kunitz has been a legitimate first liner and terrific compliment to Sid and his style of play. No qualms with him over the past few seasons. He just hasn't been given that other stud to play along with since Hossa. Now that Kunitz is losing a step, we have nobody ready to step in fill the voids.

Granted, maybe Sid really is a big advocate of keeping those as his flankers...or maybe it's Stockholm Syndrome...I don't know.
I totally agree with your sentiment, well stated.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I feel like Spaling is going to be a solid, if quiet third line winger that people will say was terrible every game no matter what he does.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
He had a solid game and they were without any top six centers. I don't see where you are coming from, or why this is remotely a problem considering the circumstances.

Because after the last 5 years we don't need KCD carved into stone again.

Michael8771*

I feel like Spaling is going to be a solid, if quiet third line winger that people will say was terrible every game no matter what he does.
I'm not impressed with his play at all. Very passive and not the best skater. I wish we received a better 2hd player in that trade.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Johnston said a few days ago that Hornqvist is one of those wingers that shouldn't switch.
Here is the quote:

Source

That's Johnstons view, however, Hornqvist has said he doesn't mind either or. He ends up on both sides of the ice. Should they make a centerline from north to south so he'll know not to cross it?

There are guys who shouldn't switch but Hornqvist doesn't seem like he's being held back because of it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not impressed with his play at all. Very passive and not the best skater. I wish we received a better 2hd player in that trade.

I was about to say that I'd have preferred to flip first round picks, except JR likely would've taken Kapanen at #11 anyway. :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That's Johnstons view, however, Hornqvist has said he doesn't mind either or. He ends up on both sides of the ice. Should they make a centerline from north to south so he'll know not to cross it?

There are guys who shouldn't switch but Hornqvist doesn't seem like he's being held back because of it.

Iginla said he'd be happy to play wherever the coaches wanted too. Point being, there are guys who can play either side without a discernible drop off and guys who cannot. The drop off from Dupuis or even Beau shifting to LW, IMO, would be smaller than the drop off with Hornqvist. Apparently, the coaches see it similarly.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Iginla said he didn't mind switching to LW either. How'd that work out? The Penguins just need to stop playing guys on their off-wings to keep KCD together.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Most players if asked will say "I can play either side. Wherever the coach wants me". Well this coach happens to believe Hornqvist is better suited to play on the RW. So that's what is going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad