GDT: Penguins vs Calgary

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Let's be honest, the Pens have also had chances that haven't gone in. The Flames have deserved to be losing tonight simply because they haven't managed to contain the Pens.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
937.jpg

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Seriously. Hiller needs some serious work on the blocker side.

Really don't know how Crosby managed to score that one. Terrific shot but he had to shoot across towards the blocker side and there really shouldn't be much room there with the blocker and the stick. Hiller could've been better, but gotta question our top pairing there.

We are getting absolutely outplayed from start to current.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
See, it isn't even just their top line that's beating us. It isn't just a matter of star power. Their fourth line is hemming us in, their third line is hemming us in. The Flames just don't have it tonight. This is the right game to have this kind of performance, though.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I'm not a pessimist . . . But I still don't know how we've gotten the points we have. If Flames do make the playoffs, next year could be a unsuspecting wakeup call in the vein of a sophomore jinx. And I hate to say that.

Anyway, I think what we're seeing tonight is a good team playing up to their potential vs a team trying to break into the top 8.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm not a pessimist . . . But I still don't know how we've gotten the points we have. If Flames do make the playoffs, next year could be a unsuspecting wakeup call in the vein of a sophomore jinx. And I hate to say that.

Anyway, I think what we're seeing tonight is a good team playing up to their potential vs a team trying to break into the top 8.

Meh, having watched all of the wins and all of the losses, it's pretty clear to me the way we've won games and the way we've lost games. There's usually a pretty significant difference between how we play when we're good and how we play when we're bad.

Key point: we don't play like in this game when we win. Usually. It's not like we've been playing like this and still managing to win (which is apparently what the main board thinks we've been doing).

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB

You're saying this as we are playing the Penguins? They're one of the top teams in the East, so losing this game is not a big deal to me because of who we're facing. As some others have said, if there was ever a time to put up a stinker of a game, it's a good thing that it was tonight.

The last part of your post is correct though - this is a top team playing to their potential playing against a team that is still in a rebuild.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Meh, having watched all of the wins and all of the losses, it's pretty clear to me the way we've won games and the way we've lost games. There's usually a pretty significant difference between how we play when we're good and how we play when we're bad.

Key point: we don't play like in this game when we win. Usually.

I half agree with you. In the games they've won, the Flames definitely played with more spunk. That said, they also got bailed out way too many times by goaltending or that one soft goal that goes in against the opponents, in spite of getting out-chanced. But even when being out-chanced, it's been a fun team to watch, and they've played with a lot of drive.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

Key point: we don't play like in this game when we win. Usually. It's not like we've been playing like this and still managing to win (which is apparently what the main board thinks we've been doing).

I realize this is a bit of one-off.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I half agree with you. In the games they've won, the Flames definitely played with more spunk. That said, they also got bailed out way too many times by goaltending or that one soft goal that goes in against the opponents, in spite of getting out-chanced. But even when being out-chanced, it's been a fun team to watch, and they've played with a lot of drive.

Not really. Aside from Ortio, our goaltending numbers have been very average, and that's without having been blown out in our losses very often to skew the stats. At this point, 50+ games in, we've consistently been shooting with a high percentage. I feel like there's more in that than luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad