Rumor: Penguins VERY VERY interested in Hamhuis (Warning Post #273)

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Getting the thread back to hamhuis, I think we're in a tough spot. Having just sustained a major injury, and after not playing particularly well this year, hamhuis perceived value is likely not as high as it would be otherwise.

I don't know if it makes sense to keep him but I also don't want to trade him for pennies on the dollar.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
The other side might say that pennies on the dollar are better than nothing if we do not have plans to resign him.

Basso

Dec 11, 2008
Where's the rumour about Washington wanting Hamhuis before the deadline coming from?

Caps have very little cap space so they would have to give us a player as well.

Out of the contenders that need a Dman I think Florida, Pens and Hawks are the only realistic destinations for Dan.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Caps have very little cap space so they would have to give us a player as well.

Out of the contenders that need a Dman I think Florida, Pens and Hawks are the only realistic destinations for Dan.

Lots of playoff bound teams will be desperate for blueline depth heading into the post-season....Rangers come to mind, particularly if they unload Yandle at the deadline, and wouldn't rule out the Isles either....and Florida-Tampa rate some consideration as well. But Hamhuis has a full NTC, so assuming that he has to agree to waive and then gets to pick the team...right?

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Lots of playoff bound teams will be desperate for blueline depth heading into the post-season....Rangers come to mind, particularly if they unload Yandle at the deadline, and wouldn't rule out the Isles either....and Florida-Tampa rate some consideration as well. But Hamhuis has a full NTC, so assuming that he has to agree to waive and then gets to pick the team...right?

Pretty rare when a player won't waive to go to a contender. Only really happens when there are special circumstances like kiprusoff and his kid.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pretty rare when a player won't waive to go to a contender. Only really happens when there are special circumstances like kiprusoff and his kid.

Yep...I think Sundin also told the Leafs he wasn't interested in moving at the deadline...probably waiting for Gillis to step up with a massive overpayment in the off-season?:sarcasm:

Basso

Dec 11, 2008

Got that right, was thinking Rags, but yeah their blue line has their top 6 set unless like you say they dump Yandle or one of their Dman.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

Or my most hated player Kaberle comes to mind.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I repeat

if Andrej Sekaras was able to get Carolina a 1st round pick and Roland Mckeown I am actually expecting to get more out of Hamhius,

to us even ask for a single 1st round pick is generous.

So we can at least get a 1st round pick for Danny Hamhius.

Getting the thread back to hamhuis, I think we're in a tough spot. Having just sustained a major injury, and after not playing particularly well this year, hamhuis perceived value is likely not as high as it would be otherwise.

I don't know if it makes sense to keep him but I also don't want to trade him for pennies on the dollar.

I thought he was ok. Not to mention, because of his injury one can say he is a very well rested dman. no joke.
1st rounder at least.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I repeat

if Andrej Sekaras was able to get Carolina a 1st round pick and Roland Mckeown I am actually expecting to get more out of Hamhius,

Should he get a 1st? Yes but why would he get more than Sekara? Coming off injury and 5 years older. Lucky to get an equal package, expecting a little less than.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Before Hamhuis has any real trade value, he has to get into the line up and play reasonably well. If he can play 18 minutes per night, he has value. If he can't, no one is going to take that risk.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Should he get a 1st? Yes but why would he get more than Sekara? Coming off injury and 5 years older. Lucky to get an equal package, expecting a little less than.

Reputation? Lack of top 4 LDs available?

Just to keep in mind Sekera got a mid 1st from LA...Hamhuis will likely get a late 1st (25-30). The value between those picks is in itself quite substantial.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Reputation? Lack of top 4 LDs available?

Just to keep in mind Sekera got a mid 1st from LA...Hamhuis will likely get a late 1st (25-30). The value between those picks is in itself quite substantial.

Technically Carolina gets LA's pick this year because their 2015 pick was lottery protected in the trade.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Before Hamhuis has any real trade value, he has to get into the line up and play reasonably well. If he can play 18 minutes per night, he has value. If he can't, no one is going to take that risk.

And what was timonen? How much did he play the entire year before he was traded? Maybe it effects value, but value should still be had.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Hamhuis waives, it's likely he gets united with Barry Trotz in Washington...they've got a real shot at the Cup imo...cue the Madison Bowey trade rumors....Benning will be looking for pick and a prospect.

Ubik

Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver
If Hamhuis waives, it's likely he gets united with Barry Trotz in Washington...they've got a real shot at the Cup imo...cue the Madison Bowey trade rumors....Benning will be looking for pick and a prospect.

Absolutely this is what I've been talking about since training camp.

Caps looking to make a run. Need a vet shutdown dman. Trotz and Hammer reunite and we land Bowey and a pick.

Win/win

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
Absolutely this is what I've been talking about since training camp.

Caps looking to make a run. Need a vet shutdown dman. Trotz and Hammer reunite and we land Bowey and a pick.

Win/win

We're not getting Bowey .... its Carrick and a pick (maybe a 2nd) at best

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Theres so many playoff fighting teams looking for atop 4 dman. Like so many

Washington
Pittsburgh
Boston
Ottawa
Even LA might

And theres many others ive not listed. Its crazy and teams will bid and desperate and i think we benefit from this if Hamhuis can put a couple a good games in this month. Should be a exciting return :)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
We're not getting Bowey .... its Carrick and a pick (maybe a 2nd) at best

Maybe not, but if Jimbo is doing his job, he'll set up a bidding war for Hamhuis' services...keep in mind, if the Caps were to acquire Hamhuis they'd keep him out of hands of another contender in the Eastern Conference....that's the kind of stock market frenzy the treading deadline creates....we need a "Grade A' prospect or a first-rounder for Hamhuis...and Carrick doesn't cut it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad