Rumor: Penguins VERY VERY interested in Hamhuis (Warning Post #273)

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
Kevin Allen of USA today says that Dan Hamhuis will attract a lot of interest come trade deadline. Link is Pratt and Bro Jake on Tsn 1040 at 8:10 am this morning if anybody can find a link.

He also said a team that he has been constantly hearing that has shown a ton of interest and will be a making a huge push for Hamhuis is the Pittsburgh Penguins.

What would we want for Hammer ? I would love it if we moved him , he gets his cup, then he 're signs w. The Nux for a 3 yr contract and rides off in the sunset as a Canucks

Pittsburgh Assets.

1st rnd pick 2017
Olli Matta- Dman
Beau Bennet- LW
Derrick Pouliot - Dman
Daniel Sprong -RW
Brian Dumoulin - Dman
Scott Wilson - RW

Last edited:

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
There pick is only lottery protected so thats off the table, but I think they have Torontos 2nd this year

I would think something like Dumoulin and a 2nd/3rd round pck

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Kevin Allen of USA today says that Dan Hamhuis will attract a lot of interest come trade deadline. Link is Pratt and Bro Jake on Tsn 1040 at 8:10 am this morning if anybody can find a link.

He also said a team that he has been constantly hearing that has shown a ton of interest and will be a making a huge push for Hamhuis is the Pittsburgh Penguins.

What would we want for Hammer ? I would love it if we moved him , he gets his cup, then he 're signs w. The Nux for a 3 yr contract and rides off in the sunset as a Canucks

Pittsburgh Assets.

1st rnd pick 2016 ( currently 15th overall )
Olli Matta- Dman
Beau Bennet- LW
Derrick Pouliot - Dman
Daniel Sprong -RW
Brian Dumoulin - Dman
Scott Wilson - RW

That's awesome! I'd like one of the following:

Pouliot
1st 2017(Their 2016 1st is only lottery protected)
Dumoulin

Plus more depending on the asset.

NO way they move Olli Maata. And don't want Bennett(injured way too often), Sprong, or Wilson.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
There pick is only lottery protected so thats off the table, but I think they have Torontos 2nd this year

I would think something like Dumoulin and a 2nd/3rd round pck

Would also need a cap dump since Pittsburgh is at the Cap

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada

Pittsburgh Assets.

1st rnd pick 2016 ( currently 15th overall )
Olli Matta- Dman
Beau Bennet- LW
Derrick Pouliot - Dman
Daniel Sprong -RW
Brian Dumoulin - Dman
Scott Wilson - RW

I don't see Pittsburgh giving up Pouliot. IF Benning could get The 1st let alone Pouliot I'd be happy. It's been speculated here that Washington could give Hamhuis a go since there's the Trotz connection.

Edit: I see the first is unavailable

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
If you recall the summer of 2010, UFA Hamhuis was traded to Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, but couldn't get a deal done because he had his mind set on Vancouver. This seems like one of those moves the Penguins management really likes Hamhuis as a player, because his play is definitely nowhere close to what it was 5 years ago when he considered a top 2 D

Olli Matta seems like a huge price for them to pay, but is who we really need.

But any of the listed defenceman and a 2nd round pick would be a good deal for the Canucks.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
The most realistic trade I could see happening is Pittsburgh trading their 2nd and Anaheim's 2nd (or a 2nd+Brian Dumoulin) for Hamhuis. It's not terrible, but I'd still hope to get a late 1st from someone.

Their 1st this year goes to Toronto assuming they make the playoffs, otherwise I doubt they trade a lottery pick for an upcoming UFA like Hamhuis. Bennett holds very little value these days. And I really can't see them moving Pouliot or Sprong for an upcoming UFA.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
If you recall the summer of 2010, UFA Hamhuis was traded to Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, but couldn't get a deal done because he had his mind set on Vancouver. This seems like one of those moves the Penguins management really likes Hamhuis as a player, because his play is definitely nowhere close to what it was 5 years ago when he considered a top 2 D

But any of the listed defenceman and a 2nd round pick would be a good deal for the Canucks.

Shinkaruk Hamhuis and a pick?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Guys... Hamhuis isn't going to fetch more than a single 2nd round pick and maybe a lower end prospect.

Far worse defencemen have fetched far more than that at the trade deadline. Anything less than a 1st round pick would be disappointing - he's having a bad season, but is a recently top pairing defenceman with a good playoff resume.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Well that's good to hear. Maybe if some GMs really value Hammer and Benning is tentative to move him we'll get some juicy offers.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
2nd(Ana) + 2nd(Pits)
2nd + Dumoulin
1st 2017
Pouliot

I wouldn't mind doing something along the lines of Hamhuis + Higgins with salary retained as needed for Plotnikov and Pouliot.
Plotnikov is a free agent this summer, Higgins > Plotnikov. This gives them both a chance at the cup but most importantly, gives us Pouliot!

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
We are extremely undervaluing him.

He will get us a 1st rnd pick.

For instance Washington. Do they really care about pick 26th to 30th or do they want a bigger chance to win the cup. ?

Hamhuis is going to be coveted. Dmen at deadline are always are !

He will get a prospect and late 1st. Quote me on it.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
The most realistic trade I could see happening is Pittsburgh trading their 2nd and Anaheim's 2nd (or a 2nd+Brian Dumoulin) for Hamhuis. It's not terrible, but I'd still hope to get a late 1st from someone.

Their 1st this year goes to Toronto assuming they make the playoffs, otherwise I doubt they trade a lottery pick for an upcoming UFA like Hamhuis. Bennett holds very little value these days. And I really can't see them moving Pouliot or Sprong for an upcoming UFA.

I think the trade I would want is both those 2nd round picks.

Maata/Pouliot/Sprong are not going to be made available for a rental. However a couple of 2nd rounders for Hamhuis would be what I would go after (Maybe a 3rd conditional pick thrown in if Hamhuis re-signs)

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Except to Benning.:sarcasm:

Garrison had term and Benning needed to make some changes after terrible year. Hamhuis is a different situation. If Benning makes deadline trades it would show they have the right focus. If they eat Hamhuis and Vrbata's last year with no changes then I would join the haters. If they can get more than a second round pick they need to pull the trigger.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
That's awesome! I'd like one of the following:

Pouliot
1st 2017(Their 2016 1st is only lottery protected)
Dumoulin

They're not moving Pouliot. That'd be like asking us to move McCann/Virtanen for a rental.

Shinkaruk Hamhuis and a pick?

Think Tanev + Horvat. Pens are that high on Maata (and for good reason)

2nd(Ana) + 2nd(Pits)
2nd + Dumoulin
1st 2017
Pouliot
/QUOTE]

Again, I just don't see any situation where Pouliot is moved. The only prospect we have thats better is Horvat, so imagine someone asking us to trade McCann/Virtanen for a rental.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
They're not moving Pouliot. That'd be like asking us to move McCann/Virtanen for a rental.

Think Tanev + Horvat. Pens are that high on Maata (and for good reason)

2nd(Ana) + 2nd(Pits)
2nd + Dumoulin
1st 2017
Pouliot
/QUOTE]

Again, I just don't see any situation where Pouliot is moved. The only prospect we have thats better is Horvat, so imagine someone asking us to trade McCann/Virtanen for a rental.

If we had 2 generational talents in the prime of their careers I have no problem moving prospects like Virtanen McCann to try and win the cup. I don't think then Pens are interested I'm wasting another year of Malkin and Crosbys prime years.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Pouliot or bust basically.

Last year Sekera was dealt for a 1st and a B prospect. Not sure why people think we would only get a 2nd for Hamhuis.

Pittsburgh doesn't have their 1st in this year's draft, so I would be looking at an equivalent level prospect. Brian Dumoulin is not at that level (not sure what is up with the big love-in for him). A 24 year old bottom pairing guy isn't the type of return I want for Hamhuis.

I'd do Hamhuis for Pouliot straight up. Make it simple.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
If we had 2 generational talents in the prime of their careers I have no problem moving prospects like Virtanen McCann to try and win the cup. I don't think then Pens are interested I'm wasting another year of Malkin and Crosbys prime years.

I'd do Hamhuis for Pouliot straight up. Make it simple.

I agree that he should go for more than a 2nd, but I really doubt Hamhuis can bring in Pouliot.

Think of it this way, if Pouliot wasn't made available in a Kessel trade I really doubt he would be made available in a Hamhuis trade. Im a big Pouliot fan, but Pens fans view him in the same regard we view Horvat.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

this is the reality of it but I'm not sure if they would get a guy like Brian Dumoulin and a 2nd rounder it might be one or the other.

Let's face it Hamius is a rental and his best days are behind him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad