Proposal: Penguins-Vancouver

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Is it just me or is Maatta MUCH worse than Tanev?

Maatta is a good defenseman. He gets shit on a TON because of his inability to make turns quickly. His straight line speed is decent, but not great. But he's slow at turning, which will get him caught more often then fans like. And unfortunately the optics of this look terrible. Everyone remembers when he f***s up because they see someone blowing by him (Bobby Ryan in 2017 is still a goal I vividly remember to this day).

However, Maatta has a very good IQ, and usually uses his smarts to keep himself in good positions. So while his skating looks bad (and there's definite issues there), his overall effectiveness is very good. For example in the POs last season, he was only on the ice for 2 ES goals against - one of which should have been blown down on an obvious penalty.

If Maatta could skate like Dumoulin, he'd be seen as a Lindholm caliber of defender, and a clear cut good #2/3D. With his skating issues, he's somewhere in the 3/4 range depending on his day to day games. Basically he's usually someone you only notice when things go bad... but you really remember those mistakes, while his overall stats are good.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I read earlier in the year he might be healthy scratched on that Pens D. I think there might be a case he is much worse.

Maatta had a rough start to the season, and Pittsburgh's blueline is pretty deep. We don't have a great top end skill, but our overall depth is very good, as we easily have 7/8 guys who can all play 18+ minutes a night. And we have a young D in Riikola that excelled at camp who needs a few games. G3 we saw Maatta scratched. G4 it was Oleksiak. And while Maatta in G1+2 didn't play great, neither did many players. Given the log jam on the blueline, it was 50/50 between OM and JO who was getting benched for Riikola.

And while HF hasn't been fans of Pittsburgh's blueline in years (I still remember all the comments in the 2016 POs about how bad our D was), we have 6 very solid NHLer's and a good/great #7 in Ruhwedel. And that's before we got Riikola. Letang, Dumoulin, Schultz, Johnson, Maatta and Oleksiak are good NHLers. People mock them based on them either being ignorant of them (Dumoulin, Maatta, etc) or based on their performances with their previous teams (Schultz, Johnson, Oleksiak). But since coming here, they've been good, and every one of them has shown that they can play 18+ minutes a night. That's huge, and something very few teams have.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Is it just me or is Maatta MUCH worse than Tanev?

HFBoards thinks Maatta is terrible. He's not. Just not a great fit on the Pens.

Also, Tanev is hurt as much as he's healthy. There won't be a ton of return on him. His healthiest seasons have been 70 and 69 games.

It's not great when Maatta is healthier than the player he's being compared to.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I mean, that's just absurdly dumb, but okay.

He's worse but not by a ridiculous amount. Tanev is a fringe #2/3, I'd consider Maatta a solid #4.

The LD concerns for the Canucks makes sense for why they'd say no, but let's not pretend Maatta is this trash defenseman all of a sudden.

I think this is reasonable, especially if Schultz is out for the year. Rutherford trades 1st round picks extremely easily, so I certainly think the team wouldn't scoff at that.
Tanev is much, MUCH better than Maatta.

canucklehead44

Jun 28, 2015
Decent attempt but not a good fit. Tanev is a much better player plus he is a righty. Canucks are already scratching Del Zotto on the left side.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Canucks like the Pens employ 7 1 way contracts on defence, about 6 of those are mediocre at best skaters at this point. We really don’t want to add to that number. Especially for the best trade piece the Canucks still have on that defence core

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
That's why there are never ending OP's of Canuck fans trying to get rid of him.
I would assume this has more to do with age, team rebuild and perceived value/need by other teams than it has to do with fans not wanting him on their team anymore. There is also a never ending list of posts by Canuck fans not wanting to "get rid" of Tanev so I'm not sure how Maata's similar health issues to Tanev's related to your response.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
HFBoards thinks Maatta is terrible. He's not. Just not a great fit on the Pens.

Also, Tanev is hurt as much as he's healthy. There won't be a ton of return on him. His healthiest seasons have been 70 and 69 games.

It's not great when Maatta is healthier than the player he's being compared to.
Over the past 5 seasons Maata has averaged 60 games a year, Tanev has averaged 59 - really holding on to the slimmest of margins there with your argument.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Over the past 5 seasons Maata has averaged 60 games a year, Tanev has averaged 59 - really holding on to the slimmest of margins there with your argument.

Not really. 60% of Maatta's games missed comes from 1 season (14/15) where he missed 62 games. Other than that, he's played 78, 67, 55 and 82... or 85.9% of the possible games (86.6% if you count the POs). When you look at Tanev, he's someone who's consistently missing games. 64, 70, 69, 53, 42. Even if you remove last season (which accounts for ~35% of his missed games), he's still only played 78% of his team's games over 4 of the past 5 seasons.

Tanev has shown a clear history of being unable to stay healthy over the course of a season. And while Maatta certainly has had some injuries, he's also shown that he can play 75+ games a season in addition to deep PO runs.

So while the above is reaching a little, if I was betting on those two players to stay healthy... my money would easily be on Maatta, given that he doesn't have a history of missing a significant number of games every season.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
I would assume this has more to do with age, team rebuild and perceived value/need by other teams than it has to do with fans not wanting him on their team anymore. There is also a never ending list of posts by Canuck fans not wanting to "get rid" of Tanev so I'm not sure how Maata's similar health issues to Tanev's related to your response.
They're both made of glass.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad