Proposal: Penguins-Vancouver

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penguins trade Maatta and a pick/prospect
Canucks trade Tanev

The Penguins get a top-4 RD upgrade since Schultz is out long term, a guy who is a DFD that should help settle down their defensive issues. The Canucks get a 2-way defenseman who's closer to the age range of their core and is signed for longer. I'm not sure what the value difference between the two is, so I just said the Penguins would also add a pick/prospect, so I expect the Penguins would have to add here.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Not sure that's a fit. We have a plethora of guys on the left right now, and Edler Juolevi Hughes will be there short term. If Tanev goes, we have a right side of Gudbrandson, Stecher and Biega.

The penguins would probably want a cap reduction on Tanev too right?

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Not sure that's a fit. We have a plethora of guys on the left right now, and Edler Juolevi Hughes will be there short term. If Tanev goes, we have a right side of Gudbrandson, Stecher and Biega.

Cap reduction not necessarily required if Maatta moves. Hes about a 4m hit.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Maatta and Tanev make about the same amount of money and Schultz just blew up his left ankle, which makes it seem like he's going to be out for a while.

My thought while making this was that since Tanev is a free agent after next year and is a good bit older than the core, they'd rather have someone cost controlled near the age of their core over Tanev. That's the basis for why I thought Vancouver may be interested in this.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Wasn't Maatta a healthy scratch recently? I just don't see trading a RHD for another LHD.

Edler, Hutton, Pouliot, MDZ. Juolevi & Hughes coming. Where does Maatta fit? I'd hope clearly after Edler if we are trading for him. Then where does that leave Juolevi & Hughes later in the year/next season?

I don't think it really works with Maatta. Tanev to PIT sure, but with a 1st and something else coming back.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Pittsburgh's defense is kinda crap, and at this point maatta is the 6th/7th dman. That says it all.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Canucks are already scratching MDZ, so let's trade our best RD in Tanev for another LD so we can scratch him too :laugh:

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Why would the Canucks trade for Maata? If the Penguins want to try and get Tanev they're looking at Sprong+.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pittsburgh's defense is kinda crap, and at this point maatta is the 6th/7th dman. That says it all.

I mean, that's just absurdly dumb, but okay.

Is it just me or is Maatta MUCH worse than Tanev?

He's worse but not by a ridiculous amount. Tanev is a fringe #2/3, I'd consider Maatta a solid #4.

The LD concerns for the Canucks makes sense for why they'd say no, but let's not pretend Maatta is this trash defenseman all of a sudden.

Wasn't Maatta a healthy scratch recently? I just don't see trading a RHD for another LHD.

Edler, Hutton, Pouliot, MDZ. Juolevi & Hughes coming. Where does Maatta fit? I'd hope clearly after Edler if we are trading for him. Then where does that leave Juolevi & Hughes later in the year/next season?

I don't think it really works with Maatta. Tanev to PIT sure, but with a 1st and something else coming back.

I think this is reasonable, especially if Schultz is out for the year. Rutherford trades 1st round picks extremely easily, so I certainly think the team wouldn't scoff at that.

Last edited:

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Penguins trade Maatta and a pick/prospect
Canucks trade Tanev

The Penguins get a top-4 RD upgrade since Schultz is out long term, a guy who is a DFD that should help settle down their defensive issues. The Canucks get a 2-way defenseman who's closer to the age range of their core and is signed for longer. I'm not sure what the value difference between the two is, so I just said the Penguins would also add a pick/prospect, so I expect the Penguins would have to add here.
Based on history alone isn't it only a matter of time until Tanev is out with injury?

Reactions: TNT87

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Based on history alone isn't it only a matter of time until Tanev is out with injury?
"Hello Pot, meet Kettle"
"Hey, you're black"

Over his 5 year NHL career Maata has averaged 60 games a season. I would say Maata has a similar injury history to Tanev and he is not even close to the defenseman Tanev is.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I mean, that's just absurdly dumb, but okay.

He's worse but not by a ridiculous amount. Tanev is a fringe #2/3, I'd consider Maatta a solid #4.

The LD concerns for the Canucks makes sense for why they'd say no, but let's not pretend Maatta is this trash defenseman all of a sudden.

I think this is reasonable, especially if Schultz is out for the year. Rutherford trades 1st round picks extremely easily, so I certainly think the team wouldn't scoff at that.

He has been trending down since he looked like a future top pairing D a few years ago and I read earlier in the year he might be healthy scratched on that Pens D. I think there might be a case he is much worse.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He has been trending down since he looked like a future top pairing D a few years ago and I read earlier in the year he might be healthy scratched on that Pens D. I think there might be a case he is much worse.

Brandon Saad may also be healthy scratched by Chicago, that doesn't make him a 13th forward.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
"Hello Pot, meet Kettle"
"Hey, you're black"

Over his 5 year NHL career Maata has averaged 60 games a season. I would say Maata has a similar injury history to Tanev and he is not even close to the defenseman Tanev is.
That's why there are never ending OP's of Canuck fans trying to get rid of him.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
As someone who watched both teams, yuck.

I love Pittsburgh, I think Dumoulin is the most underrated defender in the sport but no. The Canucks have Hughes and Juolevi on the left side while still owning Traymkin's rights.

I'm not high on Maatta at all, Tanev is playing fantastic hockey right now on par with his excellent season in 2014/2015. I understand the logic behind this deal, but Maatta is a guy I'd have little to zero interest in.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Maatta's good games are far and few between. He'll play well for a handful of games before going through a rough stretch. He's still 24, but there are too many red flags. The Canucks would be wise to stay away from him.

As for the Pens, he's under a reasonable contract if they think there's another level to his game.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
[QUOTE="Empoleon8771, post: 150768799, member: 257639"]I mean, that's just absurdly dumb, but okay.

I think this is reasonable, especially if Schultz is out for the year. Rutherford trades 1st round picks extremely easily, so I certainly think the team wouldn't scoff at that.[/QUOTE]

Weird that he has been scratched for oleksiak and the new guy then

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad