GDT: Penguins Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Board Announcement:

Once the preseason ends, we will start up an "All Purpose Offday Thread" that will actually include the injuries as well. This will be for every day talk, articles, etc. We had a few vets unfortunately bow out from the internet forum world. If anyone is interested in keeping tallys of the injuries, please let me know. Or let me know a link that follows it closely. I'll keep the first post updated.

This board is only as good as our community and we've been blessed over the years. Some of the vets have moved on with families, kids, loved ones, etc. If you are interested in helping w/ GDTs or any other thread - please keep me informed. We'd love to have you.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There is a huge logjam at defense for the Oilers coming up in the next few years. Marino might have seen this and figured his chances were slim to make the Oiler's roster any time soon.

Could be. Judging from his performance thus far, I don't think he'd be kept off of many teams' bottom pairing for long.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
FWIW, Bourque was on the post-game show last night and he was positive that we will be getting more cuts today. I'm inclined to agree, I think we'll see some cuts within the next 1-3 hours. Assuming they go from a 46 man roster to about a 32 man roster, I'm expecting they'll have something like 18 forwards, 10 D and 3 goalies. From looking at the roster, I'm going to guess the cuts are going to be Almari, Czuczman, Trotman, Warsofsky, Agozzino, Almeida, Angello, Blandisi, Cramarossa, DiPauli, Haggerty, Lucchini, Miletic, Palve and Larmi. These cuts would leave them with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Tanev
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Rust
Poulin-Simon-Legare
Johnson-Lafferty-Bjorkqvist

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Johnson-Gudbranson
Riikola-Ruhwedel
POJ-Marino

Murray
DeSmith
Jarry

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Tanev
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Rust
Poulin-Simon-Legare
Johnson-Lafferty-Bjorkqvist

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Johnson-Gudbranson
Riikola-Ruhwedel
POJ-Marino

Murray
DeSmith
Jarry

Other than the perpetual blight, you gotta like that depth.

Reactions: Peat and Dominance

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Speaking of that blight, I have been wondering if the Penguins would consider playing one of their RD (specifically Schultz) on LD to get Marino in the lineup. They don't seem to mind playing LD on RD, but they haven't shown the willingness to play RD on LD. Granted, you can rationalize that by pointing out the Penguins have been very LD heavy in recent years, but the Penguins have been almost trigger happy to play LHS on their off-side in the last couple of years. They ran with Daley full time on RD, Oleksiak and Riikola played mostly RD when with the Penguins, they played Johnson for way too long on RD last year and they've also toyed with Dumoulin and Maatta on RD.

It's interesting to think about, because would they try Schultz on LD? Niskanen is an example of a RHS that worked well on LD, and Schultz does have some similarities to Niskanen. If Schultz can play LD, you can have Pettersson-Gudbranson as a shutdown pair and Schultz-Marino as more of an offensive pair. That sets up Schultz to use his shot more often, which is his best attribute.

Reactions: Dominance

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Speaking of that blight, I have been wondering if the Penguins would consider playing one of their RD (specifically Schultz) on LD to get Marino in the lineup. They don't seem to mind playing LD on RD, but they haven't shown the willingness to play RD on LD. Granted, you can rationalize that by pointing out the Penguins have been very LD heavy in recent years, but the Penguins have been almost trigger happy to play LHS on their off-side in the last couple of years. They ran with Daley full time on RD, Oleksiak and Riikola played mostly RD when with the Penguins, they played Johnson for way too long on RD last year and they've also toyed with Dumoulin and Maatta on RD.

It's interesting to think about, because would they try Schultz on LD? Niskanen is an example of a RHS that worked well on LD, and Schultz does have some similarities to Niskanen. If Schultz can play LD, you can have Pettersson-Gudbranson as a shutdown pair and Schultz-Marino as more of an offensive pair. That sets up Schultz to use his shot more often, which is his best attribute.

I toyed with the idea earlier, but mostly with Marino switching to LD to play with Guds.

I'm down for anything that removes you-know-who.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

That’s why some of us kept asking if Guds could play on the left...I wouldn’t do it with Schultz because it affects the player’s ability to get the puck off the wall (have to do it on your backhand) and that isn’t a strength of Schultz’s anyway...but if Guds could do it on the third pair, that ideally would leave the best place for Marino...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd assume they won't do that until I see signs of it, but it's a pretty interesting idea. And I think Schultz makes the most sense as the offside guy

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That’s why some of us kept asking if Guds could play on the left...I wouldn’t do it with Schultz because it affects the player’s ability to get the puck off the wall (have to do it on your backhand) and that isn’t a strength of Schultz’s anyway...but if Guds could do it on the third pair, that ideally would leave the best place for Marino...

If you're concerned about how Schultz's puck moving would look on his off-side, why would you want Gudbranson to be put on his off-side? I imagine he'd get a much bigger hit by playing LD, because he doesn't get any benefits by switching sides. Schultz at least gets in a position to take more 1-timers and shots from the center of the ice. I also think it's easier to drive offense from your off-side, since you are handling the puck towards the center of the ice.

Reactions: Dominance

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Kinda think throwing Marino into the fire on his offside would A) not help the team all that much and B) be detrimental to his development. We literally went through exactly this with Riikola (down to even playing him on his offside) last year.

Would really rather let him earn a call up in the AHL. We can get by via double shifting MP a little bit here and there with Gudbranson while giving Riikola limited minutes until Marino is ready or a trade can be made.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Kinda think throwing Marino into the fire on his offside would A) not help the team all that much and B) be detrimental to his development. We literally went through exactly this with Riikola (down to even playing him on his offside) last year.

Would really rather let him earn a call up in the AHL. We can get by via double shifting MP a little bit here and there with Gudbranson while giving Riikola limited minutes until Marino is ready or a trade can be made.

I'd prefer to have Riiko on 3LD, but again, anything to keep Double J off the team.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Adam Johnson and John Marino really the only guys who survived cuts that we didn’t maybe already expect to.

I think AJ has a real chance to push ZAR here. Not sure if there’s a path for Marino but he’s clearly making himself hard to cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad