GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline II: You wanted trades!? Well you got trades! *Mod warning post 623*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I mean Boston and Carolina have equally embarrassing bottom sixes.

If our young players can have some impact games, I could see that being the difference.
Maybe.

Still have to get in too I suppose and I'm not so sure that's a guarantee after Hextall's moves. I think we probably will but if Granlund is a total flop and our bottom six ends up worse off than it was pre trades we may well miss. And I think that's unfortunately a realistic possibility.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I am so jealous of them. They are making some bold moves. Nothing Luke warm and that's the way it should be.

Funny enough, people complain about Sid and Geno being old. Boston is doing this with ancienr centers Krecji and Bergeron.
Foligno 35. Hall and Coyle also in their 30s.

Used them plenty shutting down the pre-TDL trade talks about how desperate some folks were about getting younger. Focus on performance rather than age.

Boston might have done TOO much though. I'm not sure that I would have taken a team THAT dominant over the entire NHL all season long and dicked with it that much. Maybe 1 move or insurance. I really don't get their overly-aggressive TDL acquisitions.

Also didn't understand NYR getting Kane. I mean, at the price that's great. No denying it. But like - top 6 scoring wasn't an issue for them?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I had some time to take it in and I'm am just sulking. Looking at all of the moves being made to make good team better at the prices they are paying...and we get Granlund for a 2nd.

We have a GM with no idea what to do and he added another anchor contract to the team.

I am sad that this is how they are going to go out in the twilight of the Sid/Geno era.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Maybe.

Still have to get in too I suppose and I'm not so sure that's a guarantee after Hextall's moves. I think we probably will but if Granlund is a total flop and our bottom six ends up worse off than it was pre trades we may well miss. And I think that's unfortunately a realistic possibility.
Like I said all I got here is for us to squeeze in one more LW

Domi-G-Rust
Zucker-Carter-Granlund

That is the only way I can see a possible spark to beat another team. That is pending on these pieces to work.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Bertuzzi at 50% retained plus Chychrun was eminently doable by Ron Hextall.

That cost is $6.975 million in cap hit.

If Hextall had actually planned this out right, he could have done it. I guarantee the reason he didn't trade Kapanen or McGinn and instead put them on waivers was because he didn't want to add a sweetener. Had he done that, he likely could have cleared all of McGinn's salary.

He could have waived Heinen and called up the cheaper Caggiula at that point.

There were ways over the last two weeks to gain cap space if you have a plan.

Hextall clearly didn't and here the Penguins are with no more cap space and a redundant, expensive player.

Reactions: Hockeygod66

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Foligno 35. Hall and Coyle also in their 30s.

Used them plenty shutting down the pre-TDL trade talks about how desperate some folks were about getting younger. Focus on performance rather than age.

Boston might have done TOO much though. I'm not sure that I would have taken a team THAT dominant over the entire NHL all season long and dicked with it that much. Maybe 1 move or insurance. I really don't get their overly-aggressive TDL acquisitions.

Also didn't understand NYR getting Kane. I mean, at the price that's great. No denying it. But like - top 6 scoring wasn't an issue for them?
Probably some overkill but I think they'll be monsters regardless...

We are lucky we likely won't play NYR. Kane absolutely dunks on us. He'd win the series against us alone.

Reactions: molon labe

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
What Steve Austin GIFs | Tenor
Steve-austin GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Bertuzzi at 50% retained plus Chychrun was eminently doable by Ron Hextall.

That cost is $6.975 million in cap hit.

If Hextall had actually planned this out right, he could have done it. I guarantee the reason he didn't trade Kapanen or McGinn and instead put them on waivers was because he didn't want to add a sweetener. Had he done that, he likely could have cleared all of McGinn's salary.

He could have waived Heinen and called up the cheaper Caggiula at that point.

There were ways over the last two weeks to gain cap space if you have a plan.

Hextall clearly didn't and here the Penguins are with no more cap space and a redundant, expensive player.
That's the crux here. Granlund is the antithesis of what we need. He has no finish which is what we lack.

And he's expensive for years beyond. It's just senseless and a shame cause I loved Granlund years ago so I feel guilty in a way

Reactions: Shady Machine

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I had the terrifying realization that the logic behind the trade is that Hextall might see Granlund as a replacement for Zucker in the offseason. Despite bringing none of the same characteristics on ice that Zucker does.

I will say this - if that is actually the case, then the Pens will have around $18M in cap space to sign a starting goaltender, re-sign Smith, and then fill out the bottom six, so the cap situation for next season isn't quite so dire.
This isn't exactly praise, mind you. But that does at least leave reasonable room for the holes that would exist in that case. But it really does rely on Granlund being able to perform as a top six winger.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Granlund is a RW and his greatest success has come opposite of Zucker and vice versa.

So stick them with Geno. But that would entail Rust down to 3RW with Carter and for one that's likely a wreck and second Sully ain't doing that.

I believe it's more likely that he bumps Rust up to Sid's line and sends RR down to L3 instead.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
My mind hasn't even settled into the horrible possibilities of what Sullivan's line combinations will look like with this roster :laugh:.
GCR
Granlund-G-Rakell
Zucker-Carter-Heinen

How much you wanna bet thats it LOL

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I had the terrifying realization that the logic behind the trade is that Hextall might see Granlund as a replacement for Zucker in the offseason. Despite bringing none of the same characteristics on ice that Zucker does.

I will say this - if that is actually the case, then the Pens will have around $18M in cap space to sign a starting goaltender, re-sign Smith, and then fill out the bottom six, so the cap situation for next season isn't quite so dire.
This isn't exactly praise, mind you. But that does at least leave reasonable room for the holes that would exist in that case. But it really does rely on Granlund being able to perform as a top six winger.
I think they bring zucker back at 4.5 million give Tristan 6. They will have to play the kids next year

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Giving up a 1st for Bertuzzi would have sucked, too. He's overrated because of 1 good season and his last name and is in the middle of an injury filled terrible season that's even worse than Granlund's. Maybe for Boston it's worth it, but not this team. At least he wouldn't have f***ed the cap up for the next 2 seasons, though.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I think they bring zucker back at 4.5 million give Tristan 6. They will have to play the kids next year
Zucker takes a pay cut, Dumo is gone or takes a pay cut, Kap is no longer on the cap. Can easily fit that all in next year and Granlund. Hopefully Sully doesnt screw around with the lines and does the sensible thing and puts Zucker - Geno - Granlund on the 2nd line.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Let me get this straight....
We get rid of Kapanen, waive McGinn & Freidman.

What I expected was....$5M cap space...
Chychryn -> POJ + 2nd + 2nd
Boeser or Miller -> Pettersson + 2nd + 3rd for retention by somebody.

D setup...
Chychryn - Letang
Dumo - Petry
Smith - Ruutta

Boeser comes on on 2nd line.....pushing Rust down.
Rust right away strengthens our 3rd line.
OR
Miller is a massive upgrade for our 3C!

What do we get instead?
Granlund for $5M :mad:

I really really hope Hextall has another trade in the works, though, now trading Pettersson won't work as we don't have a somewhat defensive defensemen to replace him. Having a left side of Letang - POJ - Smyth isn't exciting!

All the while Boston just added Bertuzzi!

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Zucker takes a pay cut, Dumo is gone or takes a pay cut, Kap is no longer on the cap. Can easily fit that all in next year and Granlund. Hopefully Sully doesnt screw around with the lines and does the sensible thing and puts Zucker - Geno - Granlund on the 2nd line.
While that needs explored. Would Sullivan send Rust to Line 3?

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I fully expect dumo flipped for a 2nd tomorrow to recover the pick they lost for granlund. They are trying to serve 2 masters retooling and the playoff streak

Smasher

Jan 25, 2012
Finland
nemecic.bandcamp.com
I'm not saying it hasn't been warranted for most of the season, but I've got to say the incessant whining about the team is getting a bit tiring. Still here I am, checking Twitter and these boards every 10 minutes :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad