Confirmed with Link: Penguins Sign Tom Sestito to PTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
My argument is that they can deter cheap shots if used properly, they just won't stop them outright.

$$

it will never end them, but it can limit them.
some seem to forget just how much sid was getting run or involved in BS after the whistle before they acquired cairns

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
$$

it will never end them, but it can limit them.
some seem to forget just how much sid was getting run or involved in BS after the whistle before they acquired cairns

At this point I think we just need to agree to disagree. I really really don't think these guys prevent anything at all. Guys who can actually play a regular shift and hit are more likely to deter guys than someone like Sestito.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
I think this has been said a few times, but I still haven't seen the evidence to the contrary from the pro-enforcer crowd. What enforcer could have prevented Rinaldo going after Letang? Downie was in that game. Why didn't he fight Rinaldo off the opening faceoff and therefore bring about a total cheap shot embargo?

if someone like downie or sestito fights him the previuous shift. the lunitic isnt on the ice to make that cheap shot.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
if someone like downie or sestito fights him the previuous shift. the lunitic isnt on the ice to make that cheap shot.

why would they have fought Rinaldo the previous shift? more importantly, why would Rinaldo fight them?

regardless, suggesting that preemptively fighting guys so they aren't on the ice to cheap shot people is the most ludicrous defense of enforcers that I've ever heard :laugh:

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
At this point I think we just need to agree to disagree. I really really don't think these guys prevent anything at all. Guys who can actually play a regular shift and hit are more likely to deter guys than someone like Sestito.

you're allowed to have a different opinion.

despite how wrong it may be

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
It's from Star Wars, you philistines. It's actually Nerf Herder though, he flubbed the line like a doofus.

50600606.jpg

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
it was clearly intentional. my little tag line in my profile is nerf herder. i gave an immature sort-of-but-not-really insult, and he followed suit.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
it was clearly intentional. my little tag line in my profile is nerf herder. i gave an immature sort-of-but-not-really insult, and he followed suit.

I should make joke business cards for my manager that say "nerd herder". It would be hugely appropriate here, so he'd probably appreciate it!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
bahahaha, bud ur on a hockey message board, you like everyone else is here is in the same boat, we are all hockey nerds.

to add to the topic of conversation, enforcers are outdated entities, no longer required or fit into the NHL

See I disagree.

The classic goon even back in the day could take a shift, it wasn't until the mid 90's and 2000's that goon's were just flat out fighters and then for a brief moment thanks to Brashear, they could also take a regular shift and it's gone back and forth since then.

If Sestito was capable of playing 1min of PK time a game, solid in his own end, ok along the boards and not slow as mud and a physical player that doesn't cross the line, he'd be signed and not given a PTO.

A goon now needs to be able to do all of that, not just fight. We can use a player that can do that and have been trying to find someone to do that. Laraque was the start of it and it didn't go too well after a while and then on it's been a list of guys like Godard, MacIntyre, etc...guys good at punching, but can't contribute anywhere else to save their life.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
See I disagree.

The classic goon even back in the day could take a shift, it wasn't until the mid 90's and 2000's that goon's were just flat out fighters and then for a brief moment thanks to Brashear, they could also take a regular shift and it's gone back and forth since then.

there were some terrible players (pure goons) in the mid 80's. I'd say it started around then

dave brown, berube, craig coxe, J kordic. and from our very own squad
jay caulfield, zemlak, van dorp

before that, some of the league's best brawlers did take a regular shift as you said.

guys like holmgren, fotiu, plett, gillies, the big flyer/hawks D man whose name escapes me right now

Last edited:

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
there were some terrible players (goons) in the mid 80's. I'd say it started around then

dave brown, berube, craig coxe. and from our very squad
jay caulfield, zemlak, van dorp

before that, some of the league's best brawlers did take a regular shift as you said.

holmgren, futio, plett, the big flyer/hawks D man whose name escapes me right now

Behn Wilson?

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I guess maybe - but Gudas might not be playing much even if he's in the lineup. Even then he doesn't fight much. Hits every chance he gets though.

The Pens could use a guy more like Gudas (Engelland light) than a big liability like Sestito.

They could use a guy like that for sure, but I'm thinking if Sestito gets a contract he'll just be another interchangeable face puncher in WBS for the year. He could probably be reasonably productive down there too, so that's a bonus.

Maybe next season Reid McNeill makes the team and fills the role of tough, no nonsense defenseman.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
How is there a 14 page thread on Tom Sestito? Is this board that obsessed with enforcers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad