Confirmed with Link: Penguins Sign Thomas Di Pauli (2 years/$742,500 base)

Fordy

May 28, 2008
dipauli is a speedful minded biscuit scorer who's gonna look great with geno

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I know he's faster than Bryan Rust and that's good enough for me.
a) You don't know that at all. You just read some idle banter in a newspaper interview.

This reminds me of that guy who tried to claim Milan Kraft had one of the best shots in the league because Mario gave him props on his wrist shot.

b) As people have been trying to tell you - We do more than just skate fast!!!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Q19hYY.gif

Who needs hands anyways?

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
a) You don't know that at all. You just read some idle banter in a newspaper interview.

This reminds me of that guy who tried to claim Milan Kraft had one of the best shots in the league because Mario gave him props on his wrist shot.

That guy actually said Kraft had a better shot than Lemieux.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013

Rust said he had to increase his speed to keep up with TDP, he said he's the fastest player he's ever played with or against. TDP was in the Capitals' system back then, so there was no reason for Rust to make that up for no reason. Apparently Jim Rutherford (the GM of the year) was impressed by him, or why else would he sign him?

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Zen Arcade said:

His reasoning, if I recall, and I think I do, was that Mario said Kraft had the best shot on the team. And since that team included Mario, therefore naturally, Kraft had to have one of the best shots in all of hockey.

I remember when I challenged him on it, he simply said "2+2=4" and that in my "****ed up brain" it equalled 5. I mean, who can argue with that?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
His reasoning, if I recall, and I think I do, was that Mario said Kraft had the best shot on the team. And since that team included Mario, therefore naturally, Kraft had to have one of the best shots in all of hockey.

I remember when I challenged him on it, he simply said "2+2=4" and that in my "****ed up brain" it equalled 5. I mean, who can argue with that?

Why hate on Milan Kraft? He was on the Pens at a bad time & Mario (as the owner & teammate) was obligated to hype up his young players.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Rust said he had to increase his speed to keep up with TDP, he said he's the fastest player he's ever played with or against. TDP was in the Capitals' system back then, so there was no reason for Rust to make that up for no reason. Apparently Jim Rutherford (the GM of the year) was impressed by him, or why else would he sign him?

Platitudes among teammates mean very little, yes. You really should take that stuff with a grain of salt.

And it's been relayed to you in multiple ways already, but it seems you need to be told again. The guy's speed is meaningless unless it can be deployed effectively within our game, which nobody knows since 99% of us didn't even know his name until ten days ago. You seem to think that a player need only to skate like the wind to be a perfect fit for Penguins hockey, which is insane. That's not all it is. From point A to point B, Matia Marcantuoni may have been the fastest guy, or at least one of the fastest guys in our entire organization. But he had no hands, no vision and no hockey sense, so he sucked.

I'm not claiming DiPauli sucks, but I also won't buy that he's a perfect fit for the parent club solely on the basis of third-hand information about his skating. I haven't seen him play, and neither have you.

As for the last bit - are you now seriously trying to argue that he must be a strong prospect if JR deemed it worthwhile to sign him? Because if that's where you're digging in your heels, then we're in pretty bad shape here

DoobeeDoobeeDoo said:
Why hate on Milan Kraft? He was on the Pens at a bad time & Mario (as the owner & teammate) was obligated to hype up his young players.

You're a lost cause.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Platitudes among teammates mean very little, yes. You really should take that stuff with a grain of salt.

And it's been relayed to you in multiple ways already, but it seems you need to be told again. The guy's speed is meaningless unless it can be deployed effectively within our game, which nobody knows since 99% of us didn't even know his name until ten days ago. You seem to think that a player need only to skate like the wind to be a perfect fit for Penguins hockey, which is insane. That's not all it is. From point A to point B, Matia Marcantuoni may have been the fastest guy, or at least one of the fastest guys in our entire organization. But he had no hands, no vision and no hockey sense, so he sucked.

I'm not claiming DiPauli sucks, but I also won't buy that he's a perfect fit for the parent club solely on the basis of third-hand information about his skating. I haven't seen him play, and neither have you.

As for the last bit - are you now seriously trying to argue that he must be a strong prospect if JR deemed it worthwhile to sign him? Because if that's where you're digging in your heels, then we're in pretty bad shape here

I knew his name during the Stanley Cup Finals when Bryan Rust basically told us the TDP is his role model. Also, speed has been proven to be effective in the Pens' system. Guys good enough to play professional hockey are going to have good hands if you give them time & space, and speed will give you time & space.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
People said we were too small, people said we don't have good enough dmen, people said that we can't win the Cup with a rookie goalie. How do you think we compensated for all that? The answer is speed. With speed comes force, mass, defense, and pretty much everything within the space/time continuum.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
My take on him is that he is pretty sturdy on his blades and a strong kid with obvious speed.
His offensive game took a nice jump last year and made him a sought after college FA who was gonna test the market ala Vesey.

Just another lottery ticket just like the Rust's and Sheary's and Wilson's and Marcantuoni's and Bleuger's and so ons were.

Excited to see him hopefully progress starting with the Rookie tourney in a few weeks.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
His versatility is going to be what gets him up, he plays W/C and he's a solid 2-way player, that and his speed are what Sullivan loves.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
dipauli is a speedful minded biscuit scorer who's gonna look great with geno

BxrN3.gif

I knew his name during the Stanley Cup Finals when Bryan Rust basically told us the TDP is his role model. Also, speed has been proven to be effective in the Pens' system. Guys good enough to play professional hockey are going to have good hands if you give them time & space, and speed will give you time & space.

Somebody get Matthew Lombardi's number in Switzerland, stat.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Speed was the single most important factor in our Cup run, to add even more speed makes us even more formidable.

Foot speed? No. Foot speed certainly helped, but Pittsburgh overall played a very fast game, and only part of that had to do with how fast the players were skating. Just as important (or perhaps even more important) was how fast PIT players were moving the puck up the ice. Sullivan almost completely eliminated the E/W passes and puck movement. Everything was going north. Yes you need foot speed to really make this work, but foot speed alone won't cut it.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Just to play Devil's Advocate, Kraft was a very good finisher. Obviously not on Lemieux's level (Lang might be a more appropriate name to throw out there, even though that's still punching above his weight class, probably), but good.

He didn't do much of anything else, but it felt like near every time he got a clean look, he buried it.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Just to play Devil's Advocate, Kraft was a very good finisher. Obviously not on Lemieux's level (Lang might be a more appropriate name to throw out there, even though that's still punching above his weight class, probably), but good.

He didn't do much of anything else, but it felt like near every time he got a clean look, he buried it.

As I recall, Milan Kraft was considered to be one of our bright spots heading into our darkest days. He was a big part of our 2001 playoff run being the most thrilling playoff run we would have until 2008. Fond memories of that year, and it served me well until we got back on track. I really liked those 2000-01 Pens, I think we would've beaten the Devils in the conference finals had we been playing under the modern rules, but that's for another thread.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

Kraft did have a nice wrist shot, but this dude was saying he had one of the best shots of all time. He also predicted that Ryan Whitney would be a perennial 100 point defenseman.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ryan Whitney would have been a decent PMD for longer than he was if his feet didn't get all messed up, not saying 100pts because that's bat **** crazy, but a few more 45-50pt seasons out of him with the Ducks even. As for Kraft, he was 2 steps too slow, if he was quicker, he would have stuck around the league longer. The guy had a solid wrister, not in the same class as Nedved or Neal, but not too far off either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad