Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Tanev for way too long and way too much

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Tanev is better than Adams. Guess you’ll just have to wait to watch him.

I don't doubt that this is a true statement. And on paper he ticks off many of the boxes missing from the team the last 2 seasons. However, my point is that players often peak in production at age 27 or even sooner. It's not as if Tanev has a rich history of being a productive or skilled player at lower levels either.

My biggest gripe though is that the Pens got nothing in return in terms of a lower cap hit for a 6 year long contract. Compare that to Jarnkrok (the only comparable I can think of), a center, who signed for 6 years @ $2M/year. This contract is high risk and the upside is predicated on many best-case-scenario assumptions.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
holy f...! I hate myself for saying this but if he can get to the d-man while their numbers are still visible, slow down game for Geno, than all Geno need is a little bit of snipe on the right wing to feed him 40 goals...maybe 80 goals between Galch and Geno?

That’s why I suggested Sully try Tanev-Geno-Chucky on L2...

Reactions: vodeni

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Two things... first off some guys are later bloomers... Kunitz didn’t even score a goal in the nhl until he was 26....

Secondly grit guys who get paid well long term have a chance of losing their drive after getting that security

So maybe he is ok as a bottom sixer... maybe he surprises all of us and becomes a kunitz, or maybe he busts... at this point all we can do is wait and see and hope for the best

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Two things... first off some guys are later bloomers... Kunitz didn’t even score a goal in the nhl until he was 26....

Secondly grit guys who get paid well long term have a chance of losing their drive after getting that security

So maybe he is ok as a bottom sixer... maybe he surprises all of us and becomes a kunitz, or maybe he busts... at this point all we can do is wait and see and hope for the best

I think @Empoleon8771 made the most apt comparison. A Matt Cooke type that doesn’t have the baggage and I’m happy.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Just imagine how quick Geno will be out of here after he plays a season with Tanev.
But but but Tanev has grit and we can beat the Washington Wilsons. I mean capitals.

It’s amazing how one crappy player can mind f*** an entire management team into deviating from their recipe that won back to back cups.

Tom Wilson ruined our team, somehow...

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Times are dark when I agree with you.
It’s taken you a long time to see the truth, but it’s better late than never. This team has been going off the rails since 2 weeks after we won the cup.

People gave him a free pass because we had just won the cup, but he’s been making poor decisions, largely, for 3 consecutive off seasons.

He’s butchered another off season so far.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
As much as I've complained about the contract, I think a line of Tanev, Bjugstad and Hornqvist could be very good.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
But but but Tanev has grit and we can beat the Washington Wilsons. I mean capitals.

It’s amazing how one crappy player can mind **** an entire management team into deviating from their recipe that won back to back cups.

Tom Wilson ruined our team, somehow...

f*** Tom Wilson. JR made the right move in getting Reaves. That would be the end of the Wilson shenanigans. Sully ran him out of town. But if Wilson lives in JRs head soooo much, then JR should have done everything he could to get him on our team

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I don't doubt that this is a true statement. And on paper he ticks off many of the boxes missing from the team the last 2 seasons. However, my point is that players often peak in production at age 27 or even sooner. It's not as if Tanev has a rich history of being a productive or skilled player at lower levels either.

My biggest gripe though is that the Pens got nothing in return in terms of a lower cap hit for a 6 year long contract. Compare that to Jarnkrok (the only comparable I can think of), a center, who signed for 6 years @ $2M/year. This contract is high risk and the upside is predicated on many best-case-scenario assumptions.
Well put. We have to hope it pays off marginally...while dreading reasonable expectation or worse.
Let's not hold this against Tanev. I myself would have signed the same deal...with in my case the upside and downside being identical (worthless)...and I think I've been a Pens fan longer than he has...:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,050.00