Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Matt Hunwick (3 years, $6.75 M | $2.25M AAV)

TropicalAntarctica

Oct 9, 2015
For that term and price I would rather have Daley.

Assuming Daley wouldn't have taken a discount (which he probably would have because Pennsylvania taxes are lower than Michigan's, and the obvious that he wouldn't have to move to a new city and aclimate to a new locker room on a trainwreck of a team) we saved .85m to downgrade from a very mobile, very good offensively, PPQB and PKer who can play both sides and in the top 4, to a decently mobile, offensively competent, okay PKer who can play both sides on the bottom pair.

I'm not gonna overreact and say I hate it, but I don't get why people aren't pointing at what Daley got from Detroit and how we would have been better off with that.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Cole's contract is up after next year, so Hunwick's 3rd year mean's little in regards to that.

And we can allow Cole to walk if he wants too much. If it takes a 3rd year to bring in a guy that this staff things can fit in...you give him the 3rd year. We weren't getting Hunwick without that.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

Assuming Daley wouldn't have taken a discount (which he probably would have because Pennsylvania taxes are lower than Michigan and the obvious that he wouldn't have to move) we saved .85m to downgrade from a very mobile, very good offensively, PPQB and PKer who can play both sides and in the top 4 to a decently mobile, offensively competent, okay PKer who can play both sides on the bottom pair.

I'm not gonna overreact and say I hate it, but I don't get why people aren't pointing at what Daley got from Detroit and how we would have been better off with that.

It all depends on whether or not you think Daley is past his sell by date. Daley is obviously a better player than Hunwick, but he'll be 34 when the season starts and it looked like the wheels were falling off at times last season.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
At the start of last year, yeah. But what about the 2nd half of last year into the playoffs when he was playing more like a 2nd pairing guy? And by like a 2nd pairing guy, I mean 25 minutes a night.

I mean, I guess I can accept the reason that he has looked so bad on the Leafs was that he was saddled with Polak. I just don't really see who Hunwick gets partnered with. If you run Maatta - Schultz, Cole - Hunwick just seems silly. If you run Maatta - Hunwick you are just asking to get beat.

I dunno seems like an Eaton caliber player. Just completely replaceable and pointless to sign for three years. I also don't really trust Babcock's assessments of defensemen.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Assuming Daley wouldn't have taken a discount (which he probably would have because Pennsylvania taxes are lower than Michigan and the obvious that he wouldn't have to move) we saved .85m to downgrade from a very mobile, very good offensively, PPQB and PKer who can play both sides and in the top 4 to a decently mobile, offensively competent, okay PKer who can play both sides on the bottom pair.

Daley's entire game is dependent on his skating - and he's had two leg injuries in the last 2 years. I remember many *****ing about Cole 2 years ago when he signed his current deal... I think this signing will be the same way in a year or two.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I mean, I guess I can accept the reason that he has looked so bad on the Leafs was that he was saddled with Polak. I just don't really see who Hunwick gets partnered with. If you run Maatta - Schultz, Cole - Hunwick just seems silly. If you run Maatta - Hunwick you are just asking to get beat.

I dunno seems like an Eaton caliber player. Just completely replaceable and pointless to sign for three years. I also don't really trust Babcock's assessments of defensemen.

Dumoulin - Letang
Cole - Schultz
Maatta - Hunwick

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
And we can allow Cole to walk if he wants too much. If it takes a 3rd year to bring in a guy that this staff things can fit in...you give him the 3rd year. We weren't getting Hunwick without that.

This is the statement I think is ridiculous. If you have to give Matt Hunwick an extra year on a deal you walk away from it. He is the exact type of player that shouldn't get signed for more than one or two years. If Daley or Hainsey are "fringe" top four defensemen what does that make Hunwick? He's played top four minutes on two teams the 2012-13 Avs and the 2015-16 Leafs. Two of the worst teams in recent memory.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So, Maatta gets saddled down with our worst defenseman yet again?

What happens if Schultz regresses?

Why do you hate Hunwick so much? He's a perfectly fine bottom pair defensemen that can skate and move the puck well. He's a smaller Hainsey that skates better and moves the puck well.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This is the statement I think is ridiculous. If you have to give Matt Hunwick an extra year on a deal you walk away from it. He is the exact type of player that shouldn't get signed for more than one or two years. If Daley or Hainsey are "fringe" top four defensemen what does that make Hunwick? He's played top four minutes on two teams the 2012-13 Avs and the 2015-16 Leafs. Two of the worst teams in recent memory.

Hunwick's essentially the Pens' #6 guy. Why does it matter if he's been or can handle top 4 minutes when that won't be his role in Pittsburgh?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Didn't see this posted here...in-depth breakdown of Hunwick's game last year and how it turned around:

https://theleafsnation.com/2017/06/...s-amazing-turnaround-and-the-case-to-re-sign/

I know next to nothing about the guy, but he sounds like the kind of versatile depth defenseman who could do well with bottom-pairing minutes. He apparently skates and moves the puck well, so between he, Ruhwedel, and Pouliot, we've got no shortage of mobile depth.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Hunwick's essentially the Pens' #6 guy. Why does it matter if he's been or can handle top 4 minutes when that won't be his role in Pittsburgh?

Because we are the Pittsburgh Penguins?

Why do you hate Hunwick so much? He's a perfectly fine bottom pair defensemen that can skate and move the puck well. He's a smaller Hainsey that skates better and moves the puck well.

Pointless contract. Over payment for a fringe top six defenseman in the NHL. Is 32 and is for some reason getting three years at his highest pay from a GM who is notorious for signing terrible contracts in relation to defensemen. Asking Maatta at 22 to hold up his pairing rather than getting a player that compliments him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Didn't see this posted here...in-depth breakdown of Hunwick's game last year and how it turned around:

https://theleafsnation.com/2017/06/...s-amazing-turnaround-and-the-case-to-re-sign/

I know next to nothing about the guy, but he sounds like the kind of versatile depth defenseman who could do well with bottom-pairing minutes. He apparently skates and moves the puck well, so between he, Ruhwedel, and Pouliot, we've got no shortage of mobile depth.

So, yes, I would re-sign Matt Hunwick. Obviously, that’s contingent on them not filling his spot with someone more capable. Ideally, he’d come back on a one-year deal with an AAV somewhere in the range of $1.1-1.3 million. I think that’s fair.

Key point. Especially for a team desperate for defensemen.

https://theleafsnation.com/2017/06/30/2016-17-leafs-season-in-review-matt-hunwick/

A good read as well.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pointless contract.

False

Over payment for a fringe top six defenseman in the NHL.

False because he's not a "fringe top six defensmen".

Is 32 and is for some reason getting three years at his highest pay from a GM who is notorious for signing terrible contracts in relation to defensemen.

What the hell are you even rambling on about at this point? What "terrible contracts" has Rutherford handed out? The 1 year, $1.4 million deal for Schultz? The 3 year, $2.1 million per year contract to Cole?

Asking Maatta at 22 to hold up his pairing rather than getting a player that compliments him.

So asking Maatta to play with a good bottom pair defensemen who can move the puck well and skate is "asking him to hold up his pairing"? You're just talking out of your ass here.

The article you quoted that you said is "a good read" doesn't even help your case here:

I want Matt Hunwick back next year. I think he’s a competent, fine third pairing defenceman, and if he remains on the third pair on the left side with a good partner, that wouldn’t be terrible. He’s a guy that can slot in at a tier above in a quick pinch in the event of an injury or a night off, and he’s probably not going to cost much to retain.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It all depends on whether or not you think Daley is past his sell by date. Daley is obviously a better player than Hunwick, but he'll be 34 when the season starts and it looked like the wheels were falling off at times last season.

Daley's puck movement was pretty poor last season. I thought he had a good play-offs but I'm really not sure how long he lasts at his current level. Prior to the play-offs I didn't want him back at any money, particularly as he and Maatta look like a bad pairing.

I can't pretend I know huge amounts about Hunwick, but I'm certainly not looking at Daley and Hainsey and thinking "Man, why didn't we just keep them."

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
False because he's not a "fringe top six defensmen".

Yes, he is. He was healthy scratched the last time he played for a contender. Outside of that he has been a #5 or 6 on teams with absolutely atrocious defenses.
What the hell are you even rambling on about at this point? What "terrible contracts" has Rutherford handed out? The 1 year, $1.4 million deal for Schultz? The 3 year, $2.1 million per year contract to Cole?

Really? Go look at Rutherford's defensive contracts from 2011-2014 with the Canes. Also, for everyone ******** on Maatta, look at that contract.

So asking Maatta to play with a good bottom pair defensemen who can move the puck well and skate is "asking him to hold up his pairing"? You're just talking out of your ass here.

The article you quoted that you said is "a good read" doesn't even help your case here:

I think insinuating that Hunwick needs a player to hold him up and should be given short term, low cost contracts is holding up my case fine. If Hunwick's extra million hurts us in resigning both Rust and Hornqvist next year after you see him play I think you'll be tooting a different horn.

What exactly is the difference between a Maatta - Ruh line and a Maatta - Hunwick line would be my exact issue with this trade. Especially since Ruh isn't 32. There is absolutely no reason for this contract.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Don't know anything about Hunwick, but I can confirm that Polak's one of the worst defensemen in the NHL.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yes, he is. He was healthy scratched the last time he played for a contender. Outside of that he has been a #5 or 6 on teams with absolutely atrocious defenses.

And Maatta and Dumoulin both were healthy scratches for a couple games in the last 2 years. It means absolutely nothing. And no, he wasn't a healthy scratch the last time he played for a contender. He played in 55 games for the Rangers in 14-15 and thrived on that team.

Really? Go look at Rutherford's defensive contracts from 2011-2014 with the Canes. Also, for everyone ******** on Maatta, look at that contract.

I guess Shero is still a good GM because of what he did in 2011 with the Penguins. They should fire Rutherford and bring back Shero!

I think insinuating that Hunwick needs a player to hold him up and should be given short term, low cost contracts is holding up my case fine. If Hunwick's extra million hurts us in resigning both Rust and Hornqvist next year after you see him play I think you'll be tooting a different horn.

But that's wrong though. Hunwick was really good last season when he played with freaking Polak for an entire year. And do you seriously think Hunwick is overpaid by a million? Seriously? Look at literally every other contract handed out to defensemen in the last 2 days, and then try and argue he's overpaid.

What exactly is the difference between a Maatta - Ruh line and a Maatta - Hunwick line would be my exact issue with this trade. Especially since Ruh isn't 32. There is absolutely no reason for this contract.

Hunwick is a lot better than Ruhwedel though. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, so I'd suggest you stop trying to pass your opinion off as fact.

In the real world, obviously not where you're at, Hunwick is a #5 defensemen who can skate extremely well, can move the puck and is very solid positionally. His possession numbers were incredible last year, with being both an offensive driver and a defensive suppressor, and he put up a decent amount of points for a defense first guy.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
In a vacuum, there's nothing wrong with this deal. The player, cost, and term are all fine.

They aren't better on D than they were last year, though. I was hoping they would upgrade on D.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Not exactly the defenseman I was hoping for, was really wanting more of a #4 stay at home guy to play with Maatta. From when Im reading this isnt terrible, although maybe a slight overpayment, but if this is our signing its banking on Schultz continuing to play at a higher level.

Im also not sold on Maatta-Schultz. Schultz is our biggest liability defensively, and Maatta just seems to be so up and down anymore. If he picks up his rookie form, this could be him and Nisky all over again and be a force in the o-zone, but this could also be a terrible defensive pairing.

For what Hunwick seems to be, I hope we give Corrado et al plenty of chances to push for that #6 spot.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
In a vacuum, there's nothing wrong with this deal. The player, cost, and term are all fine.

They aren't better on D than they were last year, though. I was hoping they would upgrade on D.

They were never going to do that through free agency, though. JR could still make a deal to upgrade the D, but it'll be via trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad