Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Harrison Ruopp to a 3 year ELC

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Future Norris Trophy Winner :yo:[

I imagine, like Samuelsson and probably D'Agostino, and Strait & Bortuzzo before them, Ruopp will probably spend the full 3 seasons maturing and becoming a solid all-around defender in WBS. He'll be ready to take Engo's spot by that point, hopefully.

Thanks jmelm.

So..he'll be more of a replacement for someone else than Orpik by then. The Defense certainly looks bright in the next couple years.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
To me Harrison Ruopp is our most intriguing prospect. Ray Shero has always been super high on this kid for some reason and I hope we get the chance to see why sooner than later. He said it was a tough call between drafting Ruopp or Harrington in the 2nd round a couple years ago. I believe he also called Ruopp an A-level prospect in one of his interviews around the trade deadline. Like I said, I'm very curious to see why Shero is so high on this kid.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
No brainer signing, Ruopp is about our only D prospect with a mean streak. Shero said after the Michalek trade that we almost drafted Ruopp with our 2011 2nd round pick, but then Harrington fell to us at 54th overall. We didn't pick again until the middle of the 5th round, and Ruopp was taken 83rd overall by Phoenix (with our pick originally, lost to Philly for Hamhuis's rights, traded to the Coyotes for Bryzgalov).

Btw, the news release on the WHL site lists him as being 6'3 and 200 lbs now.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He definitely stands out amongst all our prospects (even forwards) in the amount of grit he brings.

I think he's a pretty good prospect, and I think his NHL ETA might be only 2 years if things go well for him. He's a better prospect (at the same age) than Strait and Bortuzzo.. but he's not quite on the level of a Dumoulin or Harrington.

Fuzzy Bunny

Mar 5, 2007
He does his job well. Not sure where he maxes out on potential but he can easily be an NHL d-man in the 5-7 slot for sure if all works out. He was a good leader for PA this season from what I watched when they were in town playing the Blades. I was impressed. Hope he continues to grow in the AHL.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Good info Burgs, Jacob, Duke... thanks for giving some insight into a relatively unknown player (who many consider to be a non-factor in the Michalek trade, and wrongly so). Was still mostly a salary dump trade but we clearly got a good prospect out of the deal / one we had targeted to begin with.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
I like what I see of him, But with our defensive depth, He might get caught in a numbers game.

Has he played any forward in his career

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I like what I see of him, But with our defensive depth, He might get caught in a numbers game.

Has he played any forward in his career

In an interview last week Shero mentioned that Ruopp was very popular with other GM's, and that he was in the top 4 prospects with the London guys & Puliot....

So it seems Ruopp has a higher value than Dumoulin....

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Hard to gauge a prospects rank/value/ceiling/eta through analyzing one sentence spoken by the GM. Maybe wait until he actually plays some AHL games before rounding his value up to be our new top prospect?

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Also, from the Raiders website:

Ruopp earned the Raiders Top Defenceman and Most Inspirational Player honours in each of the previous two seasons.

Must be good at getting to our game.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I have never understood the inconsistency of some of HFB's prospect ratings, but then they are prospects. Are the grades mostly the opinions of the HF staff, of ISS, a mix? It's hard to figure.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Can easily imagine Errey a few years from now:

"What a bop by Ruopp, are you kidding me Steiggy?"

"Well Bob, he played for the Prince Albert Raiders in juniors, and those hits are reminiscence of Jack Tatum of the Oakland Raiders."

"Steiggy, he grew up in Saskatchewan, he's a Rough Raiders guy through and through."

Add in long stick, pickle-stabber, etc. reference and I think you're good to go.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
"Well Bob, he played for the Prince Albert Raiders in juniors, and those hits are reminiscence of Jack Tatum of the Oakland Raiders."

i met Jack Tatum before he passed away and while it probably isn't kosher to say this around Stiller faithful, he was a prince of a man.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Interesting that Morrow gets traded and Ruopp gets the deal.

Were we overrating Morrow?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad