Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Chris Kunitz to 3 year extension ($3.85M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Chris Kunitz is 33. Not 34. He will be 33 when he officially signs the extension, not 34. He will be 34, not 35, when the extension kicks in. This is not a 35+ contract. 100%, it is not. He is 33. He will be 34 when new contract kicks in.

What age will he be again?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Chris Kunitz is 33. Not 34. He will be 33 when he officially signs the extension, not 34. He will be 34, not 35, when the extension kicks in. This is not a 35+ contract. 100%, it is not. He is 33. He will be 34 when new contract kicks in.

Wasn't Pronger headed to free agency when he signed his extension? Or did he sign one year before free agency like Kunitz just did?

Anyway, if you all remember even Paul Holmgren thought Pronger's deal wouldn't fall under the 35+ rule but eventually it did.

In the first year of this deal, Kunitz will turn 35 (calendar year). So let's see what happens with this, but I think it's possible we'll find out this deal is a 35+.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

This is entirely too vague.

Could you clarify whatever it is you're trying to say?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Wasn't Pronger headed to free agency when he signed his extension? Or did he sign one year before free agency like Kunitz just did?

Anyway, if you all remember even Paul Holmgren thought Pronger's deal wouldn't fall under the 35+ rule but eventually it did.

In the first year of this deal, Kunitz will turn 35 (calendar year). So let's see what happens with this, but I think it's possible we'll find out this deal is a 35+.

According to my math, Chris Pronger turned 36 in 2010 (the year his new extension kicked in). That means he signed it when he was 35. I do not believe the two situations are similar, and while I've questioned Shero recently, this is one area where I think Shero and Botterill are above reproach.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Seeing how Shero works, I'd expect Dupuis to come soon. And its a bad sign for Letang if they've already moved past him on the list.

Actually, this is where Shero is commiting to winning, and 'is Letang on board' more of the vibe, showing Letang that this is what we have alotted and 'are you in' type of scenario.

This is actually a great ploy rather than just signing him and letting a few pieces go foresake of signing just him to a monster deal.

Shero's definitely going about this right.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
According to my math, Chris Pronger turned 36 in 2010 (the year his new extension kicked in). That means he signed it when he was 35. I do not believe the two situations are similar, and while I've questioned Shero recently, this is one area where I think Shero and Botterill are above reproach.

OK, gotcha. You're right. It's confusing but you're definitely right.

Milliardo

Jun 6, 2010
Zürich

Holmgren thought it mattered when the deal was signed, not when it started. He was wrong.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Pronger was 34 when he signed it. But that didnt matter. He was 35 when the contract took effect.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I endorse this deal. it is risky counting on mid 30 year old players... and I still wouldn't give duper a penny more than 2.5, but Kunitz is a good fit with both top centers. run him till the wheels fall off.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Great caphit. A bit concerned about term. He's 33 right now so he would be 37 when the deal expires. If the cap continues to rise, it should even out as he can be an effective 3rd liner near the end of the deal if health becomes an issue. Overall, great deal. Now we effectively have 5 of our top 6 pieces locked up for 4 more years:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
xxx-Malkin-Neal

Great place to start. Now I hope they let Duper walk and bring in another body to shake things up. Re-sign Cooke or go after Clutterbuck.

I mean, did I miss something this year? Duper has been one of our best (and at some times our best) forward. He is killer short handed, was third in points on our team, and led with a +31. He was one of a handful of players to actually hustle all playoffs. I just don't get the Dupers hate round here by some people.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Seeing how Shero works, I'd expect Dupuis to come soon. And its a bad sign for Letang if they've already moved past him on the list.

Letang has been offered a contract per McKenzie.

Please let's stop assuming what Shero is and isn't doing. Nothing good comes from it.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I think this was another good signing by Shero (looking over the totality of things the last few years). It might be a little tough to swallow in that last year if he's slowing down or out for a large number of games, but he could've asked for more money and gotten it, so you give an extra year on term and hope for the best. I think he'll be fine.

I'd rather see Kunitz get this type of deal before Iggy because he's less of a risk IMO. We're going to need some reliable veteran guys the next couple seasons potentially if we go young / cut a bunch of veterans loose. Among the veterans, he, Cooke and Dupuis are the three I'd want to see stay. Or any two of those three if that's what it comes to in order to keep Letang.

He's also the only guy who has proven he can be a big part of both Sid and Geno's lines, whereas Dupuis has never done well with Malkin and Neal in his limited time with Sid, was not great (and I think would not be great generally because of their playing styles as compared to Neal with Malkin). Hopefully Bennett will be the next piece that meshes well with both centers, when asked. That's one thing about Boston: those top six guys can be mixed in several different ways and it usually works.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think this was another good signing by Shero (looking over the totality of things the last few years). It might be a little tough to swallow in that last year if he's slowing down or out for a large number of games, but he could've asked for more money and gotten it, so you give an extra year on term and hope for the best. I think he'll be fine.

I'd rather see Kunitz get this type of deal before Iggy because he's less of a risk IMO. We're going to need some reliable veteran guys the next couple seasons potentially if we go young / cut a bunch of veterans loose. Among the veterans, he, Cooke and Dupuis are the three I'd want to see stay. Or any two of those three if that's what it comes to in order to keep Letang.

He's also the only guy who has proven he can be a big part of both Sid and Geno's lines, whereas Dupuis has never done well with Malkin and Neal in his limited time with Sid, was not great (and I think would not be great generally because of their playing styles as compared to Neal with Malkin). Hopefully Bennett will be the next piece that meshes well with both centers, when asked. That's one thing about Boston: those top six guys can be mixed in several different ways and it usually works.

This is really the only guy I'm really 100% ok with letting go. Even if the Refs screwed up by tossing him in game #1, it was all about his past and this team needs to move on from that. It clearly effected the teams mental state and that moving forward until it was too late.

I'd cut loose of those ties.

All hail Clutterbuck, hint..hint, Ray.:)

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

There's absolutely no evidence to suggest we're going young...ever.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
There's absolutely no evidence to suggest we're going young...ever.

I said if. So many guys' contracts are up the next two summers, several of them approaching their mid-30s, I honestly have no idea what Shero is planning but going young with the core intact wouldn't shock me. Seems to have worked for other teams. Example: we seem to model ourselves after Detroit in some respects, and Detroit does that every so many years when their old guys walk.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Pretty much locks Kunitz up for very close to the rest of his career and 3.85m isn't huge money either so I don't mind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad