Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Blueger to 2 year ELC

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why not an ATO for him versus Guentzel? Are we unsure about signing Jake to an entry-level deal?

Guentzel doesn't necessarily need signed right now, Blueger does. We lose Blueger's rights if we don't sign him, we still have another year with Guentzel's rights.

For anyone who's curious, the best pro comparable I can come up for Blueger is Goc.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Guentzel doesn't necessarily need signed right now, Blueger does. We lose Blueger's rights if we don't sign him, we still have another year with Guentzel's rights.

For anyone who's curious, the best pro comparable I can come up for Blueger is Goc.

Ah gotcha. But Guentzel can't go back to college anymore, correct? So if we don't sign him, does he go to some European league or something?

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Ah gotcha. But Guentzel can't go back to college anymore, correct? So if we don't sign him, does he go to some European league or something?

He can go back to school if he wants. An ATO is exactly that- amateur tryout. He isn't getting paid, therefore he's still NCAA eligible.

Edit: apparently I'm wrong here. In another thread Jacob said he signed an agent which makes him ineligible. Though I do remember instances where college kids sign ATO's only to go back to school the next year. Or maybe I'm crazy. I dunno.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
You can sign an ATO and go back to college as long as you don't hire an agent, if I'm not mistaken. Guentzel has no reason to go back, so he hired an agent. He's AHL-ready. Don't take my word on it, the NCAA is ridiculous with what they consider being a 'professional', so it wouldn't surprise me if the meal stipend that goes along with an ATO would be tantamount to signing a multi-million dollar deal in their eyes.

Bļugers couldn't get the same treatment since he'd become a UFA in August if we didn't sign him...getting him under control makes sure he doesn't go elsewhere.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
You can sign an ATO and go back to college as long as you don't hire an agent, if I'm not mistaken. Guentzel has no reason to go back, so he hired an agent. He's AHL-ready.

Bļugers couldn't get the same treatment since he'd become a UFA in August if we didn't sign him...getting him under control makes sure he doesn't go elsewhere.

If he hired an agent, why not just sign an ELC then?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Nice for WBS to get an injection of talent to replace Rust/Kuhnhackl/Wilson/Sheary.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, I guess it's like that goalie that Vancouver signed to backup Hedberg a while back. He went back to college and didn't lose eligibility.

Still, I can't think of any player that actually played a pro game, even for free, and went back to college. I'd say that'd be a questionable scenario under NCAA rules other than on some emergency basis like the Vancouver one. Also that kid wasn't out of the NCAA, he was out of Canadian college, which is probably a little looser in its rules since it's more of a club level of hockey.

The NCAA is so strict that even kids attending the summer prospect camp have to pay their own way. The team can't compensate them in any way, even for like meals and stuff.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I mean...if Guentzel hired an agent...that means he can't go back to college. So why not sign an ELC right now? He doesn't have other options.

Would it have anything to do with the Pens not wanting to offer him one to push a year of that ELC back to the beginning of next season?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
As an ATO, he does not count as one of the NHL contracts.

Which the Penguins now have 49 out of the available 50. The contract limit is the big reason NHL clubs want these ATO deals, coupled with the delayed start of the ELC.

ATOs have been the standard for juniors leaving college for as long as I've been following the sport. It's just how things are done. Consider it an internship with an ELC waiting at the end. If Guentzel wants to play professional hockey in 2016-17 his options are basically the Penguins or Europe, and there isn't a good reason for him to go to Europe unless he had zero interest in signing with the Penguins and had no interest in staying in college.

Bļugers just had to say no thanks to any contract with the Penguins before the August deadline past, then he could sign wherever he wanted.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
Yeah, I guess it's like that goalie that Vancouver signed to backup Hedberg a while back. He went back to college and didn't lose eligibility.

Still, I can't think of any player that actually played a pro game, even for free, and went back to college. I'd say that'd be a questionable scenario under NCAA rules other than on some emergency basis like the Vancouver one. Also that kid wasn't out of the NCAA, he was out of Canadian college, which is probably a little looser in its rules since it's more of a club level of hockey.

The NCAA is so strict that even kids attending the summer prospect camp have to pay their own way. The team can't compensate them in any way, even for like meals and stuff.

Well Danton played in Canadian college after he got out of prison.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The NCAA and Canadian colleges aren't affiliated (aside from Simon Fraser, which is Division III for some reason). The CIS isn't nearly as tough as the NCAA is on this issue. Major Junior players are ineligible to play in the NCAA, meanwhile they get scholarships to CIS schools.

That makes sense. I was just curious why Guentzel wouldn't just sign an ELC now.

I'm sure he wanted one...doesn't mean the Penguins offered him one. Not yet.

The odds of Guentzel not getting an ELC from the Penguins out of all of this are incredibly small...basically it'd require a character red flag showing up or a catastrophic injury (in which case I can't imagine the Penguins just leaving him out to dry). On the hockey side of thing he's proven he's worth an ELC by this point in time.

Last edited:

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
Great news. I haven't see him play since U20 WJC, I just can't wait to see him playing with big boys.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Nice for WBS to get an injection of talent to replace Rust/Kuhnhackl/Wilson/Sheary.

I'd prefer if OS spends next year playing 1st PP, taking big draws, and getting a chance to be the man in WBS, and guys like Simon get featured roles.

We'll have some horses down there, since next year's bottom 6 is almost completely set for the big team, as long as we bring back Cullen, which should be a forgone conclusion if he's willing to sign here again.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

I've always thought Goc was pretty much a perfect comparable, and should hopefully be the floor of what Blueger could be in the NHL in another 2 years. Blueger has more inherent skill and better hands, but whether this ever translates into more offensive production, or the ability to play with better players, remains to be seen.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Blueger was a second round pick in a pretty good draft year, 2012. We have DP, Maatta, Blueger, Sundqvist, and Murray in the top 3 rounds. Also drafted BU goalie Sean McGuire in a later round, possibly a backup to Jarry in WBS next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad