Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Antti Niemi (1 year, $700k)

BADoglick

Jun 12, 2012
I love it, literally no risk and is capable if Murray goes down. He won't win us a cup, but if everyone else plays to their best expectations, he shouldn't cost us one either.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Seeing how cheap it supposedly is makes it easier to swallow.

Still, not comfortable. Hopefully Murray can stay healthy.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
For a veteran guy that has handled a starter's workload in the past, has playoff experience and a Cup ring, and is a good teammate, getting him at a million or less is perfect.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Hopefully he is solid enough and we can use that extra money elsewhere.

Contender

Sep 22, 2014
Cheap contract for a vet that is looking to rebound after his time in Dallas. I don't mind it.

Mrs Crosby's Dryer

Can we please fire idiot Sullivan now?
Dec 11, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
This is a great signing at this price. He has a longer history of being solid versus not, has a cup ring, and is capable of taking some of the workload off of Murray.

He could come here and have a resurgence, or yes, he could also be a disappointment but at 700K/1 year I can't see any reason not to like this.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
All he has to be is adequate this season and play around 25 to 30 games to give Murray some nights off. I think he'll be exactly that behind a much better Pens team than he played for in Dallas.

And the fact he makes so little means that *if* it's not working out, it's not going to prevent JR from acquiring an upgrade at some point during the season.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
If you like the Pens and you don't like getting a guy with the CV Niemi has to be the backup goalie/place holder for Jarry at 700k.... you are off your meds.

This is exactly as it should be.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
If you like the Pens and you don't like getting a guy with the CV Niemi has to be the backup goalie/place holder for Jarry at 700k.... you are off your meds.

This is exactly as it should be.

This.

People have unrealistic expectations for a backup goalie.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
This.

People have unrealistic expectations for a backup goalie.

And they have no concept of the salary cap.

Dallas' D was awful, correct? With a decent team he could look better than he did last year

I watched a Dallas game later in the year, maybe around February or March, and I came away thinking that they were one of the worst teams I've ever seen from a puck management standpoint. They looked like a mediocre 1980s team transported into the modern NHL.

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009
It's a steal. I don't understand the posters who want to find a reason to hate every deal that gets made.

What proof has GMJR given us he doesn't know what he's doing?

This is exactly the deal we need for a backup until they make a decision on Jarry.

Well stated.

As a rule of thumb in our universe: 1) all opposing GM's are totally ignorant as to the shortcomings of all of our failures' faults, 2) Our prospects are head and shoulders superior to any reasonable GM's valuations, 3) In the 2016 mid fall, more than one prolific and self-styled hockey authority loudly and often stated that Dallas would merrily trade Niemi AND a #2 pick for MAF.

In any event, Niemi for 1-year at $700,000 is exactly why GMJR was GM of the year for 2016 and better said, likely the decade. In Ray(oops) GMJR we trust!

:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad