Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Adam Johnson to 2 year ELC

mrwirez

Apr 17, 2017
Pitt
He's the Swiss army knife of prospects.

It would be so great if this kid pans out. Every team sport needs a "utility" man that can step into most situations when unexpected things happen, and for now he's an inexpensive project. I like this approach.

I'm rootin' for the kid!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The best kind of prospect, Free prospect!

:laugh: Pretty much. Even if he doesn't have the upside of someone like Sprong, any time you can land a relatively solid prospect for free, it's tough to find a downside.

This organization's had a bunch of guys graduate from the prospect pool to the NHL level lately, so it's important to keep grabbing guys in hopes of finding more Guentzels, Rusts, Shearys, etc.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco

following the links in that article...so the Pens picked up the #1 and #10 best NHL free agents in college hockey from last season. that's not too shabby.

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/20...2016-2017-aston-reese-brickley-pionk-kelleher

also maybe makes up for Byron's defection/non-signing/whatever. Here Byron is ranked the #90 best overall prospect in the NCAA and Johnson is the 87th.

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/20...-in-the-ncaa-86-90-byron-johnson-gates-davies

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

That's from the scout that wanted to draft Guentzel. Nice to hear.

Good stuff but would be a huge shock to see him make the team, by the time the season rolls around I expect there to be only one spot open at most.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

That's from the scout that wanted to draft Guentzel. Nice to hear.

giphy.gif

Ohh yeah. That sounds really good. Cant wait.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It's hilarious, but I heard about this signing while having a happy hour beer at Cheesecake Factory with my girlfriend - the one waiter and bartender were apparently as big of hockey fans as I am. The waiter sounded like someone who would post here...he was rattling off stats, talking about his skating, and how he's grown a ton in the last few years.

I love these types of prospects for 2 reasons - 1. It lessens the burden of trading picks for help. 2. They are closer to being NHL ready so they can help much sooner than a normal prospect would.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Can someone tell me who else Scott Bell was a big hand in Pens signing or drafting? if just Guentzel then that could have been a fluke.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Nice. I've never seen him play but I like the scouting report and his stats last season are solid. Maybe at best a Bryan Rust and at worst a Jayson Megna, and for free.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Theres tons of college highlights and full games on the yt's if you wanna check him out a bit. Just search minnesota duluth hockey and others.

This is another great pickup by us.
He could've been snatched up by another team or played more at college and dominated and would've been one of the top FA's like ZAR was but we convinced him to sign.

Best part is that he's a matured prospect.
Immediately slots in just under Sprong/ZAR on the prospect depth chart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad