Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Sept.(camp/pre-season) Centers? Nah, we dont need no centers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
He’s not very good. Slow as f*** and his offensive ability doesn’t make up for the defensive gaps.

The fact Ho-Sang got signed over him should tel you all it needs to.
I'd still sign him on a cheap if that would work, we could use some hands on this roster, he can't be worse than Gally

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Would it really be the worst thing for a team to take a one year cheap flyer on Gusev? Just speaking hypothetically here, because I'm sure we won't give him an offer.

Nah, Gusev's just a genuinely heinous player.

Think of all of Kessel's flaws while also being a bad skater and not being a consistent producer. That's Gusev.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Nah, Gusev's just a genuinely heinous player.

Think of all of Kessel's flaws while also being a bad skater and not being a consistent producer. That's Gusev.

I get that but for a league minimum/1 year deal? That’s the real thought experiment here. :laugh: Like I said, there’s no way in hell he ends up here, it’s just a hypothetical for me.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Would it really be the worst thing for a team to take a one year cheap flyer on Gusev? Just speaking hypothetically here, because I'm sure we won't give him an offer.
Vegas let him go with him playing 0 games for them, after they went to all the trouble to actually get him over to NA. Traded to NJ where they signed him to a 2 year deal, that they terminated in the second year. Signed with Florida and played 11 games. Got released from a PTO from the same team that signed Josh Ho-Sang to an AHL deal. Dude is done. There is no flyer to take here.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Or Adderall
Pick your drug of choice. Sid doesn't do drugs. Sid IS drugs.

Every time I think about Sid, I can't come up with a great comparison. He just seems like the kind of person that has good but not elite talent, but has trained his body to absolute perfection. His legs are huge, and not everyone can put on that muscle mass, especially without their joints breaking down, but the skating, the stickhandling, the shooting, the passing, the awareness, it all seems to come from a Kobe Bryant level commitment to practicing his craft.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

RSPens

May 25, 2015

Every time I think about Sid, I can't come up with a great comparison. He just seems like the kind of person that has good but not elite talent, but has trained his body to absolute perfection. His legs are huge, and not everyone can put on that muscle mass, especially without their joints breaking down, but the skating, the stickhandling, the shooting, the passing, the awareness, it all seems to come from a Kobe Bryant level commitment to practicing his craft.
The best comparison I can make would be a 4th line grinder with elite playmaking skills, edge work and drive to improve whatever needed improving. There are some good names to compare him to like Forsberg and Francis, but there is no direct comparison because 4th line grinders don't have his skill and most skilled players don't grind like Sid can.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So we really are sticking with Jarry?

oh-boy-here-we-go-again.gif

I was hoping someone out there would be made available before the season starts. It’s so frustrating that we failed to do anything about our goaltending.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Sid has ridiculous, generational talent.

Sid also has ridiculous work ethic. The work ethic has been cancelled out somewhat by the injuries. The talent has been cancelled out somewhat by habit and not adjusting his game. He has let his creativity atrophy.

Anyway, still a generational talent and great player. The work ethic is also admirable but this was a 1-1OA prodigy. Not a plucky 2nd rounder who ascended

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Don't know why this is even being brought up. They will both sign 3 year deals and the 3 Amigos will ride into the sunset together.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Why though? He brings literally nothing we need.

Sure, but there are other teams in the league. That's what I'm getting at. I think Sully would Scanners Gusev's head from three states away if there was an actual offer on the table for him. And if he survived that, he'd deal with Burke. :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sure, but there are other teams in the league. That's what I'm getting at. I think Sully would Scanners Gusev's head from three states away if there was an actual offer on the table for him. And if he survived that, he'd deal with Burke. :laugh:

I mean he's burned through three teams. A really bad one, one with one of the best centers in the game who he was tried with and one who is desperate for cheap scoring talent for their top six. What team is left?

Like if he would've gotten traded by Jersey sure. But he literally got his contract terminated.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This team would be in a much, much worse position if they lost Letang as opposed to Malkin. I think Geno's had a far better career, but as currently constructed, this team cannot afford to lose Letang and be left with the blueline he'd leave in his wake. Just can't happen. :laugh: If Letang's on the outs, just blow it up.

They'll both be re-signed for whatever they ask though. I expect it to come in around $16 million or so for the both of them--roughly $8 million a piece--on three year deals.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Don't know why this is even being brought up. They will both sign 3 year deals and the 3 Amigos will ride into the sunset together.

because LeBrun brought it up…maybe Letang wants a five year deal because he thinks he can play until 40…we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think Geno's camp is gonna roll over and take a financial beating at the negotiation table or anything, but I think if Letang's team wanted to, they could make the Penguins' really sweat and give 'em hell. He's been on a ridiculous sweetheart deal throughout his prime and he's playing potentially the best hockey of his career. He could easily push for a raise and probably get it, because this team cannot begin to think about a blueline without Letang on it.

Geno probably takes a very slight pay cut to the tune of $8-8.5 million. Letang's probably getting a slight raise to be right around the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad