Recalled/Assigned: Penguins recall F Bryan Rust (returned after Klinkhammer deal)

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Adams isn't moving up, though. All indications point to Rust on the 3rd line with Sutter and Downie, which is decent.

And to play devil's advocate, it's good to have someone like Adams around for these kinds of occasions-- you've got a lot of fresh blood on the roster, you need someone who's not only a vet leader, but who you can send out IF the rookies start cracking.

I'm fine with having Old Man River on the roster for now, if it means that the coaching staff has a fail safe, temporarily.

Yea, I'm fine with Adams being here, he has to be at this point. I just don't think you're doing a skilled prospect many/any favors playing them 8 minutes a night with our bottom line. They aren't going to show anything, they'll never have the puck

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yea, I'm fine with Adams being here, he has to be at this point. I just don't think you're doing a skilled prospect many/any favors playing them 8 minutes a night with our bottom line. They aren't going to show anything, they'll never have the puck

That I agree with. On the other hand, I don't think the 3rd line is a bad place to start off, especially with Sutter and Downie.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't really see the difference between claiming Taylor Pyatt off waivers last season, and acquiring Rob Klinkhammer this season. Yeah the latter is probably going to be better than the former, but we are largely still doing a lot of the same mistakes we've always made...even with the new regime.

We're still building the team the wrong way, and still ignoring the most obvious, glaring hole(s) in NHL roster history.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I really think you overestimate how easy it is to trade for top flight wings, Jags. :dunno:

Especially with our (arguably) most-highly valued trade piece injured.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't really see the difference between claiming Taylor Pyatt off waivers last season, and acquiring Rob Klinkhammer this season. Yeah the latter is probably going to be better than the former, but we are largely still doing a lot of the same mistakes we've always made...even with the new regime.

We're still building the team the wrong way, and still ignoring the most obvious, glaring hole(s) in NHL roster history.

Here's the difference; Shero and Bylsma saw Pyatt as a legitimate top six solution. Nothing makes me think JR & Co. or HCMJ feel that way about Klinkhammer.

A move like this, to move Sill or Adams out of the lineup, isn't a bad move simply because it wasn't a big move. I agree with you, we are in desperate, dire need of a big move to land at least one legit top six winger who is a long-term option. That doesn't mean that other moves can't be made in the meantime.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Rust has been terrific this year, people suggesting Zlobin or Payerl over him is hilarious.

Dissing Zlobin seems a little unfair since you know, he's missed most of this season because of an injury where as before that he's been consistently showing improvement and the kid has the worth ethic and the talent, it's just a matter of putting it all together and making it all work out.

Payerl, not sure what the hell happened, he went from a guy that almost had a 4th line job to well...done.

But as a big Rust fan, I am all for seeing this kid rewarded for this season.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
How do we know Rust will even play tomorrow afternoon? If Klinkhammer arrives on time, chances are he'll play and Rust will sit, no?

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Dissing Zlobin seems a little unfair since you know, he's missed most of this season because of an injury where as before that he's been consistently showing improvement and the kid has the worth ethic and the talent, it's just a matter of putting it all together and making it all work out.

Payerl, not sure what the hell happened, he went from a guy that almost had a 4th line job to well...done.

But as a big Rust fan, I am all for seeing this kid rewarded for this season.

I'm not really dissing Zlobin, but Rust was outplaying him even when they were healthy. Zlobin was also scratched a few games because they didn't feel his effort was where it needed to.be.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think you make the deal for Klinkhammer (assuming you like what he brings) regardless. No one wants to see Ebbett or Sill up here full time, and we're all begging for Adams to go.

And if you really wanna think 5 moves ahead (I know Jacob will yell at me for this), maybe acquiring bottom-6 wingers allows you to eventually move Sutter for a top-6 winger, and the extra winger depth allows you to move Spaling to center.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

Klink is better than Pyatt, and he costs about 1/3 as much cap space. Do you see the difference now? How is this a mistake when you have Sill and Adams on your 4th line when healthy?

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Outside of Megna, Rust is the most NHL ready of our young prospects, more so than Scott Wilson. He's in great shape, has NHL speed, and plays a pro-style game at both ends of the rink. I don't expect he'll excel, but I expect he'll have some impact and be more than just a warm body in a uniform. Very good for him to get a bit of NHL experience before being sent back down.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

No better way to make that speculation come true than never allowing it to happen. I say 10min in the NHL/game and 100% NHL practices against NHL players is better than 15min in a lessor league for developing players.

This is up there with "the enforcers have value" of NHL myths. It is/was just accepted "truth" without ever being challenged, questioned, or tested. If a player is better than Adams (and they all are outside of PLL, or Sill), then they should be playing in preference of him. You don't play just a single good player with Adams and Sill either (which we all know the outcome), but an entire line of youth that has some skill that can do something positive. They end up touching the puck, creating scoring chances, and learning how to play the NHL game a little each night. At the end of the season, they are playing 13-15min and contributing. They were brought up slow, with a little new to learn each week.

The "that won't work" excuse gets old when we constantly dress and play the "proven" worst player(s) in the league night after night. IF Adams ever got hurt, we'd see the experiment conduct itself, but he ensures that never happens. Adams playing now "doesn't work" either.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Klink is better than Pyatt, and he costs about 1/3 as much cap space. Do you see the difference now? How is this a mistake when you have Sill and Adams on your 4th line when healthy?

I never said the word 'mistake', you did.

All I'm saying is when big forwards are healthy scratches in the NHL, it's usually because they stop doing the things they're supposed to be doing. And the fact both played with the Coyotes, in similar roles, is striking to me.

Yes if Klinkhammer plays with some consistency he'll add something to a line...be it the third or fourth. But this is also a guy who was benched for a player (Chipchura) who was waived today. Benched for the likes of Brendan Shinnimin and Justin Hodgman.

Hopefully the change of scenery helps him. At times, Klinkhammer was playing on a scoring line in 'Zona. And then poof...press box.

I kinda like some consistency, even consistent mediocrity, on Line 4.

But it is what it is.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
It's only a matter of time before Adams is relegated to a 13th forward role. He will break the regular season consecutive games record tomorrow. Once the Pens have finished doing the honour of granting CA27 his crowning individual achievement as an NHL player, he'll be sent to the press box for better talents.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
No better way to make that speculation come true than never allowing it to happen. I say 10min in the NHL/game and 100% NHL practices against NHL players is better than 15min in a lessor league for developing players.

This is up there with "the enforcers have value" of NHL myths. It is/was just accepted "truth" without ever being challenged, questioned, or tested. If a player is better than Adams (and they all are outside of PLL, or Sill), then they should be playing in preference of him. You don't play just a single good player with Adams and Sill either (which we all know the outcome), but an entire line of youth that has some skill that can do something positive. They end up touching the puck, creating scoring chances, and learning how to play the NHL game a little each night. At the end of the season, they are playing 13-15min and contributing. They were brought up slow, with a little new to learn each week.

The "that won't work" excuse gets old when we constantly dress and play the "proven" worst player(s) in the league night after night. IF Adams ever got hurt, we'd see the experiment conduct itself, but he ensures that never happens. Adams playing now "doesn't work" either.

I actually agree to some extent with what you're saying. But a rookie fourth line playing 13-15 minutes on a team with Crosby centering Line 1 and Malkin centering Line 2? That's unrealistic. Brandon Sutter's line isn't a fourth line but it would have to be under your scenario.

But as a general rule, I've never believed in the theory that kids MUST be sent back down to AHL/CHL/Europe instead of seeing limited minutes. Every situation is different, and in some cases it's best to send a guy down. In others, why not keep him around.

I'd have kept Kapanen around for nine games this year. Who knows. He might be playing a top-nine role right now. I understand the decision to send him back to the Liiga, but I'd have found a way to keep him around in North America until the WJC, then send him there, and then reevaluate after the tournament.

So I agree with the general premise in the myth you're debunking. But I'm actually a believer in the enforcers being valuable to hockey teams, so...

:)

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It's only a matter of time before Adams is relegated to a 13th forward role. He will break the regular season consecutive games record tomorrow. Once the Pens have finished doing the honour of granting CA27 his crowning individual achievement as an NHL player, he'll be sent to the press box for better talents.

There is NO evidence to suggest anything like this is going to happen.

And playing 7 minutes a night this season, I don't hate him.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
There is NO evidence to suggest anything like this is going to happen.

And playing 7 minutes a night this season, I don't hate him.
His reduced minutes suggest that he could be taken out of the lineup soon. Is it wishful thinking? Certainly. But, it's not outside of the realm of possibility that the Pens might want a little more competency from their fourth line.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

errr, what?

Adams isn't our worst player right now, and I'm not even discussing the callups. He's been better than Sill and maybe Ebbett. I want him sat ASAP, but that will have to wait for Kunitz, Bennett and Hornqvist to return

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
People are so impatient around here. If the trade deadline comes and goes and we don't have a top 6 winger, then we'll have something to ***** about. Seriously, it's been like 2 weeks since our roster was stacked and we looked like we needed one winger but suddenly now it's "we need to trade yesterday or tank for McDavid!"

It takes time for these things to happen. We'll be in a better position to trade in a month. Would you rather we moved today and overpaid or waited a few weeks and got good value? Shero and Bylsma have really traumatised you guys, the season is barely 1/4 finished, come back off the ledge.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
People are so impatient around here. If the trade deadline comes and goes and we don't have a top 6 winger, then we'll have something to ***** about. Seriously, it's been like 2 weeks since our roster was stacked and we looked like we needed one winger but suddenly now it's "we need to trade yesterday or tank for McDavid!"

It takes time for these things to happen. We'll be in a better position to trade in a month. Would you rather we moved today and overpaid or waited a few weeks and got good value? Shero and Bylsma have really traumatised you guys, the season is barely 1/4 finished, come back off the ledge.

It wasn't stacked. We've needed two top 6 wingers forever.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Spaling - Crosby - Megna you say?

Can't wait to read some of the #HotTakes regarding Crosby on this board over the next little bit

If that persists and Crosby doesn't go postal, he should win the Lady Byng.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad