Recalled/Assigned: Penguins recall F Bryan Rust (returned after Klinkhammer deal)

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Every time I think of wingers I just get a little dead inside thinking of how much better we would have been if Hossa had re-upped with us.

Like pretty sure we'd have won at least one more cup by now if he was still a Pen.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
At what point could me make an emergency call up from Europe?

Pittsburgh Penguins @penguins
#Pens lines at practice: Spaling-Crosby-Megna, Goc-Malkin-Comeau, Rust-Sutter-Downie, Sill-Ebbett-Adams.

Honestly.... my thought process went "Megna at RW, okay.... Goc at wing, okay... 4th line is to be ignored" it's probably the best they can do without moving a top 9 centre to wing. I do like that Rust is on L3 and IIRC Wilson was too instead of Adamsill. This is so ugly, thank god that Morrow and Pouliot weren't forwards.

Spaling - Crosby - Megna you say?

Can't wait to read some of the #HotTakes regarding Crosby on this board over the next little bit

Burn the lazy, stupid, entitled baby at the stake. No hating, bro, only being honest. #whatwhat

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Burn the lazy, stupid, entitled baby at the stake. No hating, bro, only being honest. #whatwhat
Don't forget the obligatory "He hasn't been the same since his concussions" and "He's old now" comments.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
But he does recognize it's a need and seems determined to address it, unlike Shero.

It isn't hard to see how depleted we are at that position even before the injuries. If you don't have a solution it doesn't matter if you can see the problem.

And if he really wanted to solve it he shouldn't have spent 4 million on a D-Man we don't need. In fact that was a very Shero like move.

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Can Rust play on the left side? Has he done so in the AHL this season? It would help his value if he could, that's for sure.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Too bad Zlobin is done for the year. Would have been a perfect time to try him on Malkins wing.

Yeah I was hyping him last night only to find he had shoulder surgery.
Though he may be available later in the season, it wouldnt be advisable to get an AHL guy his first NHL look coming in cold after a long term injury... and he wont help us now. We are two injuries from Kukanhckl getting a NHL look by default

Fordy

May 28, 2008
best you can do if you aren't putting crosby and malkin together

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
And if he really wanted to solve it he shouldn't have spent 4 million on a D-Man we don't need. In fact that was a very Shero like move.
No, it certainly was not a Shero-like move. I just called it an anti-Shero move in a different thread, ironically. Ehrhoff was signed for one year. During the 2010 offseason, Martin and Michalek were signed for five years. Rob Scuderi, when our d-man depth was much more developed, was signed for four years.

Christian Ehrhoff is a stopgap on a team-friendly contract. It was a great, great signing and a much better option that overpaying for a poor top-six solution.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
if IcedCapp ran the team:

Malkin - Sutter - Comeau (relax about who is at C)
Crosby - Goc - Megna (see? I don't care who plays C)
Rust/Ebbett - Spaling - Downie
Sill - Adams - Ebbett/Rust

I'd swap Megna and Downie. Put Spaling on the fourth centering the beer leaguers. Way he's playing, he should feel right at home.

Ebbett/Rust/Megna was an effective unit for WB. Maybe some of that chemistry will carry over. Worked briefly in 2011 when we had Sterling/Johnson and Jeffrey(? or was it Craig?) together. Of course, 2 of those guys got hurt after like 3 games. Also worked in...92?...with Callander and those two other curtain jerkers.

But yeah, the 3 and 4 centers need bumped up. They're--by far--the best forwards on the team that aren't the other two centers or Comeau, but not so good that they can get the job done with the guys they're playing with.

Edit: Jesse Marshall describes Rust as "old time hockey" on twitter. Not sure I understand why. My impression of Rust from the prospects game and camp is that he's a little guy that doesn't know his substantial limitations. Maybe he means that depth players in the "O6 era" were usually complete bums that were the same size as jockeys.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It kinda freaks me out that this team consistently leads the league in man games lost, and has for years now, but Adams is freaking Superman and doesn't get a hang nail.

Further proof that God hates us.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
It kinda freaks me out that this team consistently leads the league in man games lost, and has for years now, but Adams is freaking Superman and doesn't get a hang nail.

He plays 8 minutes a game. Most of which is doesn't have the puck. Not hard to stay healthy.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

What site do you use to check man games lost at? mangameslost.com is not keeping track right now.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

His role is blocking shots and occasionally letting someone punch him in the face, but he will never miss a game. Maybe that's part of the curse.

He gets injured, it's just never enough to stop him.

terminator-gifs-1666-17800-hd-wallpapers.jpg

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I wonder if Pens will be healthy next season when we don't re-sign Adams....get rid of the unbreakable man, cure the team.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
What site do you use to check man games lost at? mangameslost.com is not keeping track right now.

That is what I have used in the past. You are right, currently the site is on hold from keeping track. But the Pens previously have been at or near the top every single year but I think one of late. And given our current lineup no doubt we are again.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's happening Peter!

Every body in here *****ing about plans and not having one and this and that and for the first time in a while, we have 2 rookie wingers up getting a chance when players are injured instead of a GM re-calling some crusty ass old vets from the AHL and the coach making them regulars.

Haters gon' hate, people hate that saying, but we have a ton in our own fan base.

I, for one, am thrilled to see Wilson and Rust up now.

Also, best of luck to Ulfie Jr, he's now in the same system as his little bro.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, I'm in agreement with HoG for a bit. You want a chance for prospects to show what's up? Now's the time. If they don't work out, they you start thinking about options. Or use the increased ice time and presence to up their value as part of another trade in a few weeks.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, I'm in agreement with HoG for a bit. You want a chance for prospects to show what's up? Now's the time. If they don't work out, they you start thinking about options. Or use the increased ice time and presence to up their value as part of another trade in a few weeks.

I'm fine with that, but put them in a position to succeed then. If they are a "skilled" guy, give them a shot on the top-6, not with Sill and Ebbett while you move Adams up

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm fine with that, but put them in a position to succeed then. If they are a "skilled" guy, give them a shot on the top-6, not with Sill and Ebbett while you move Adams up

Adams isn't moving up, though. All indications point to Rust on the 3rd line with Sutter and Downie, which is decent.

And to play devil's advocate, it's good to have someone like Adams around for these kinds of occasions-- you've got a lot of fresh blood on the roster, you need someone who's not only a vet leader, but who you can send out IF the rookies start cracking.

I'm fine with having Old Man River on the roster for now, if it means that the coaching staff has a fail safe, temporarily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad