Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Teddy Blueger (2 years, $750k AAV)

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Cheap Teddy Bluegers are needed when you want to win a Cup. The guy performs well and does a lot of little things. That's the type of player we need cheap.

Yup and this isn't too short where we'd have to worry about a raise next season if he does well or not too long where we have to worry about someone being blocked if they force their way into the lineup.

We are gonna like(well some) the duo of Blueger/Tanev on 4th line. Especially on the PK. Didnt Teddy have a few SH goals in 3 games during one of the stretches he was up? Regardless I think theyll be a solid duo. And thats what Im looking at when judging the lineup.

Crosby/Guentzel
Malkin/Galchenyuk
Blueger/Tanev

Are the 3 I think will be solid. Idk what the 3rd line will be so I wont mention that yet. Now we need fillers on those lines. For Kahun to mesh on the 1st and Mcann the 2nd for example(if thats the route they take). We have alot of similar players tho so we'll see who goes where. Havent even mentioned Rust and Hornqvist. Which could be our 3rd line wingers with Bjugstad. Unless they are adamant on Rust playing L1RW . Contracts aside... A 4th line of Rust/Blueger/Tanev could be solid.

And if Hornqvist could stay healthy....maybe

Galchenyuk - Malkin - Hornqvist.

We'll see...theres plenty of options

Last edited:
Reactions: ColePens

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
25 points and big PK minutes would be considered a successful season for Teddy next year.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
:dd: That's a steal!
Feel like we just got 1 mil AAV relief for the Tanev signing for the next 2 years. Could see Blueger being worth near 2 mil by the end of next season. I love his game.

Some redemption for Rutherford here.

Redemption? Blueger had next to no leverage. It's a good contract, but not like JR had to do some sweet negotiating or anything.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Glad it's done. I probably would have preferred 1 year so we could see what's what and extend him during the season. But this gives us certainty next offseason, when we're in a cap crunch, and we can still extend him July 1 if he's willing.

That would have been a really bad idea. The cap may not go up at all after this season, but Matt Murray will need a huge raise and we will be squeezed big time, in addition to RFAs in in McCann, Kahun, Simon, and Riikola if we extend him, and Schultz as a UFA.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
3t9vjqP.gif

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I was afraid that the KHL was going to poach TB. Really good deal. He played amazing at Worlds. If he can take the defensive FO load and score 30 points I'd be happy.
First year full minutes playing a mostly defensive load and most likely at least on the 2nd PK... I will be happy with 15-20 points... :laugh: I would literally be over the f***ing moon if he hit 30 points.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
That would have been a really bad idea. The cap may not go up at all after this season, but Matt Murray will need a huge raise and we will be squeezed big time, in addition to RFAs in in McCann, Kahun, Simon, and Riikola if we extend him, and Schultz as a UFA.
I'm fine with the route JR took but I'm not so sure about that being a "really bad idea." I think the increased risk would be negligible, maybe an extra 500k or so on the cap. We're going to be squeezed no matter what, but that's why I said I can see the value in having some certainty next offseason. Maybe we can delay the cap reckoning a bit with this move.

If we extended him midseason after getting a longer look at him, he'd cost a bit more but we'd have him around for several more years. If we extend him after a full season, he's going to cost even more but it's probably still good value. If we wait until he's played 2 more seasons, there's a good chance we can't afford him. And then we'd be back to playing the 3C musical chairs again or dumping someone else to pay for him.

Basically what it comes down to is JR signed him to a safe deal, which is smart and makes sense. I'm high on Teddy, and given the importance of C's, I'd have preferred to take some risk to get him signed longer term as soon as possible. I'm still hopeful that he'll be willing to talk extension on July 1, so it isn't a big deal.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm fine with the route JR took but I'm not so sure about that being a "really bad idea." I think the increased risk would be negligible, maybe an extra 500k or so on the cap. We're going to be squeezed no matter what, but that's why I said I can see the value in having some certainty next offseason. Maybe we can delay the cap reckoning a bit with this move.

If we extended him midseason after getting a longer look at him, he'd cost a bit more but we'd have him around for several more years. If we extend him after a full season, he's going to cost even more but it's probably still good value. If we wait until he's played 2 more seasons, there's a good chance we can't afford him. And then we'd be back to playing the 3C musical chairs again or dumping someone else to pay for him.

Basically what it comes down to is JR signed him to a safe deal, which is smart and makes sense. I'm high on Teddy, and given the importance of C's, I'd have preferred to take some risk to get him signed longer term as soon as possible. I'm still hopeful that he'll be willing to talk extension on July 1, so it isn't a big deal.

I think you're overthinking this one a little. He's an RFA at the end of this deal and unless he somehow gets to spend a season in the top 6, he's going to be a pretty affordable one and cheaper than a comparable player unless Lafferty goes great. If we want to keep him, we'll be able to barring something really weird; might have to shave money elsewhere but that's doable.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
There isn't necessarily a downside. It's just a personal thing. I just really like the player and I'm dreading guys like him pricing themselves out of town in s few years.
Yeah, but in their respects - they aren't playing the game as a hobby and have to support their families while they are still able to play for 10-15 years until they get too old.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I think you're overthinking this one a little. He's an RFA at the end of this deal and unless he somehow gets to spend a season in the top 6, he's going to be a pretty affordable one and cheaper than a comparable player unless Lafferty goes great. If we want to keep him, we'll be able to barring something really weird; might have to shave money elsewhere but that's doable.
You're probably right. I just think there's benefit to recognizing players who are about to pan out and trying to lock them up. Those savings add up. Especially with C's and Dmen.

Yeah, but in their respects - they aren't playing the game as a hobby and have to support their families while they are still able to play for 10-15 years until they get too old.
I'm a Pens fan, not their financial planner. I want team friendly deals. The NHLPA can worry about it.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Same deal Simon signed last year. Probably bodes well for ZAR... who probably isn’t going to get more than maybe $900k x2.

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009

As reported by ESPN, the average career length for an NHL player is five years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad