Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Simon (1 year, 2-way deal)

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Rust works with Malkin and Blueger.
Simon works only with Crosby.

So you tell me how that makes this team better to get lesser production out of a Sid option that only plays half decent with Sid only.

Let's hear your ideas for that.
During the 2018-19 season, while Simon was not personally putting up points, his linemates were. You know how Guentzel scored 40 goals that season? He had Simon on his line most of the time. 'Doing the little thing' is a cliche, but Simon did all of the little things that made the team more effective, even if he personally wasn't showing up on the scoresheet. Plus, if he's on the 1st line, then he pushes players down the lineup who are more personally productive than he is. If the team is healthy (ha!) this would make either Rust or Kapanen Jeff Carter's winger. Is it necessarily a bad thing for Rust or Kapanen to be playing alongside Jeff Carter? This could be a huge matchup advantage for them.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
During the 2018-19 season, while Simon was not personally putting up points, his linemates were. You know how Guentzel scored 40 goals that season? He had Simon on his line most of the time. 'Doing the little thing' is a cliche, but Simon did all of the little things that made the team more effective, even if he personally wasn't showing up on the scoresheet. Plus, if he's on the 1st line, then he pushes players down the lineup who are more personally productive than he is. If the team is healthy (ha!) this would make either Rust or Kapanen Jeff Carter's winger. Is it necessarily a bad thing for Rust or Kapanen to be playing alongside Jeff Carter? This could be a huge matchup advantage for them.
You definitely didn't watch that season and it shows.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I am aware that Simon is not a good finisher (at the NHL level). I am aware that he did not do well as a Bottom 6 player. Which things are you suggesting I've missed?
That he plays the cycle well but also turns the puck over and sucks along the boards. Jake didn't score 40 because he did some amazing shit. Jake was on pace for far more with Geno And Rust. The argument for Simon is in small bursts and not over a consistent period. Simon was never consistently with Crosby. He was popped on for small sample sizes the same way ZAR was a few years back before Tom broke his face.

Simon couldn't even show any impact for Calgary at either level. The whole notion that a few years ago for a handful of games at a time he's good and worth it is scraping underneath the barrel.

Reactions: canadianguy77

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
That he plays the cycle well but also turns the puck over
You have to have the puck a lot to turn it over a lot, so basically, you're just saying that he has the puck a lot.

and sucks along the boards.
In what way?

Jake didn't score 40 because he did some amazing shit. Jake was on pace for far more with Geno And Rust.
Geno and Rust are very good players. A player can still carry his weight without being as good as either of them.

The argument for Simon is in small bursts and not over a consistent period. Simon was never consistently with Crosby. He was popped on for small sample sizes the same way ZAR was a few years back before Tom broke his face.
I'm not really sure how you came to the conclusion that Simon was only played with Crosby a small amount. Wasn't that one of the biggest gripes with him that he was used on the top line too much?

Penguins’ top line is legit just the way it is - PensBurgh

This article was written right after what was Simon's last great game with Crosby. It's fine if you want to say things went downhill from there. Of course, it was also Crosby's last great game before he came back from major surgery.

Simon couldn't even show any impact for Calgary at either level. The whole notion that a few years ago for a handful of games at a time he's good and worth it is scraping underneath the barrel.
Do you think the Calgary Flames, in general, use their players in the most effective way?

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
You have to have the puck a lot to turn it over a lot, so basically, you're just saying that he has the puck a lot.

In what way?

Geno and Rust are very good players. A player can still carry his weight without being as good as either of them.

I'm not really sure how you came to the conclusion that Simon was only played with Crosby a small amount. Wasn't that one of the biggest gripes with him that he was used on the top line too much?

Penguins’ top line is legit just the way it is - PensBurgh

This article was written right after what was Simon's last great game with Crosby. It's fine if you want to say things went downhill from there. Of course, it was also Crosby's last great game before he came back from major surgery.

Do you think the Calgary Flames, in general, use their players in the most effective way?
Let's say Guentzel Crosby Simon clicks well together in pre-season and stay together, how would you construct the other lines with a healthy Malkin?..

Guentzel Crosby Simon
McGinn Malkin Rust
Zucker Carter Kapanen
Aston-Reese Blueger Heinen
Rodrigues Angello

Lafferty and Riikola sent down for Cap compliancy.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Let's say Guentzel Crosby Simon clicks well together in pre-season and stay together, how would you construct the other lines with a healthy Malkin?..

Guentzel Crosby Simon
McGinn Malkin Rust
Zucker Carter Kapanen
Rodrigues Angello

That looks good. I kind of want to see more of Zohorna on the main roster, but on second thought it's probably better that he gets consistent AHL playing time.

Reactions: Rust17

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

Guentzel Crosby Simon
McGinn Malkin Rust
Zucker Carter Kapanen
Rodrigues Angello

Is there a different Simon we signed? Surely you aren't suggesting something that literally every Pens fan know will not work, especially with an aging Sid.

The off-season is dull and brings on crazy thoughts...let's not imagine horror scenarios.

Edit: and you bring this up on Sid's Bday...come on man!

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Is there a different Simon we signed? Surely you aren't suggesting something that literally every Pens fan know will not work, especially with an aging Sid.

The off-season is dull and brings on crazy thoughts...let's not imagine horror scenarios.

Edit: and you bring this up on Sid's Bday...come on man!
I didn't bring it up. It was argued back and forth along with an article showing favorable analytics. I simply said Let's say they do click, as in "what if" scenario.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I didn't bring it up. It was argued back and forth along with an article showing favorable analytics. I simply said Let's say they do click, as in "what if" scenario.

Its all good.. but conversations regarding Simon on the top line should be discontinued and need no rehashing.

He legitimately has one of the worst shots in the NHL and would tank our top line during the playoffs. Been down this road before.

He should be playing in limited fashion when injuries strike...but no way should he be near Sid for any amount of time unless several options are injured...

I've tried to ignore we resigned him but it's aggravating...even as a 2 way deal.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Its all good.. but conversations regarding Simon on the top line should be discontinued and need no rehashing.

He legitimately has one of the worst shots in the NHL and would tank our top line during the playoffs. Been down this road before.

He should be playing in limited fashion when injuries strike...but no way should he be near Sid for any amount of time unless several options are injured...

I've tried to ignore we resigned him but it's aggravating...even as a 2 way deal.
I don't have him in the top 14/15 forwards but Sully will Sully.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
There’s no way they signed him to a two-way deal to play on the 1st line. If they liked him that much they’d have re-signed him 2 summers ago.

He’s like the 13th or 14th forward on the depth chart.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
There’s no way they signed him to a two-way deal to play on the 1st line. If they liked him that much they’d have re-signed him 2 summers ago.

He’s like the 13th or 14th forward on the depth chart.

MarvelousActiveIslandwhistler-size_restricted.gif

Penguins1128-1548701242.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad