Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Letang to six-year, $36.6m deal

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Only real risk with the term I can think of is if we go belly up next year or year 2, then we can’t get a big return for Letang. Even then it’s not like we’re buggin about his cap hit in a rebuild.

Anyone talking 3-4+ years out… who cares. LTIR or let him run a PP on a 15 win team :laugh:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I am completely good with this. What mattered is the AAV, not the years. If the Penguins suck during the back half of his deal, so be it. But this lets them do more in the short term with their cap.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Ehh if he retires aren't we still on the hook? But if he injures out we LTIR him. And if he just ages horrendously that's kind of a hefty cap hit to move but someone will probably take it off our hands for a price.

I think it's good for the next couple years.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Ehh if he retires aren't we still on the hook? But if he injures out we LTIR him. And if he just ages horrendously that's kind of a hefty cap hit to move but someone will probably take it off our hands for a price.
He won't retire, he'll want to get paid all of it.

If the team sucks near the end of his deal he'll do the time honored tradition of being LTIRed permanently until it's over.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
That AAV is a god send.

6 years is a lot, but he will end up getting Hossa'd if he cannot play.

Exactly.

They should give Malkin the same contract. Hell, make it 8 years with a 4.5 average and the last 4 years he can sit on LTIR with a rash.

How many more years is Weber getting paid?

Every other team does it. Why not us?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

I think it's good for the next couple years.

Good for couple of years doesn't work well with guaranteed long term contracts.

Reactions: Ryder71

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
They frontloaded it. That means they'll be on the hook for the AAV if he retires before contract ends. Which means they'll have to either trade that contract or he will have to end his career on LTIR for the Pens to be free of the cap hit.

That makes managing it more difficult, but at a lower AAV and a projected cap increase, they'll probably figure it out. Or they'll be so far under the cap at that point that it won't matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad