Confirmed with Link: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Ian Cole to a Three-Year Contract (2.1M AAV)

JWells16

Nov 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I was hoping that we could somehow sign him cheaper (I'm a dreamer), but I definitely think he's worth this amount of money. In 3 years, he could be a gigantic steal.

I really like his game.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I like it. But I like lots of unlikeable things (such as weird German experimental noise bands), so my opinion is probably moot.

JWells16

Nov 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Yay! He played much better than I expected. Would have preferred 2 mill x 4 years, though.

Honestly, I get why Cole wanted a 3 year deal. It gets him a little security, but it also gives him a short enough deal to showcase himself and possibly get a bigger deal while he's closer to his prime.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
I like it. But I like lots of unlikeable things (such as weird German experimental noise bands), so my opinion is probably moot.

Well despite your best efforts, you are actually correct about this one. I had always put down Ian Cole at $2M whilst in Armchair GM mode on hockeyscap.com. I was hoping that it would have been for 4 years but still, good deal.

Now if we had traded Simon Despres for Ian Cole, I wouldn't be disappointed with that trade.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That's about what he's worth right now, and I suspect it'll be team friendly before long. Security for him, cost effectiveness for the team...nothing to complain about here.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Solid deal. Fair for both sides. Hopefully he can solidify himself as a top 4 guy. Paying 2.1MM for a top 4 guy will be very beneficial.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
It's just a great value signing. There's no other way to put it. That third year is awesome. We only got Niskanen for two - that was an issue.

He's a good puck mover, great at shooting the puck on net, and a solid defender. Can't complain.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Well despite your best efforts, you are actually correct about this one. I had always put down Ian Cole at $2M whilst in Armchair GM mode on hockeyscap.com. I was hoping that it would have been for 4 years but still, good deal.

Now if we had traded Simon Despres for Ian Cole, I wouldn't be disappointed with that trade.

It would've been better than Despres for Lovejoy, for sure. I mean, Cole is only 26 and actually had a positive impact on the team... so, he was the anti-Lovejoy.

In all my projections / armchair GM rosters, I pegged Cole for 3 years @ $2.5M. So this is an added bonus getting him at $400k less.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Solid signing in my opinion. Played some great hockey for us and I fully expect him to land a more lucrative deal once he becomes a UFA at the end of the 3 year term. Cap hit is very respectable as well.

I'm also hoping this makes it considerably less likely that we'll bring back either one of Erhoff or Martin as well.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Everyone knew that this was going to happen, but still is nice to see it finalized. And good to see JR win a trade for a young quality defenseman as well. Little chance that Cole does not earn his keep at that money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad