Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Beau Bennett (1 year, $800k)

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Not really, Perron is going to be a UFA, will probably cost the team more as well and if Beau can produce as much as Perron can, it allows the team more flexibility with the cap.

And why does that matter?

well in that case best case scenario is beau bennett scores 100 points and wins the hart

titaniumexpose

LG Pens & Sharks
Dec 13, 2006
Ohio by way of Ford City, PA
I love it, now it just comes down to this: stay healthy, give him the minutes he deserves, and the rest will take care of itself. Hopefully I can afford the GCL Pens package this year. I can't wait to see how the team looks with the new acquisitions. :popcorn:

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
I still can't believe he was skating with two knee braces on. That's so ****ed up. Anyone who has skated before knows how important it is to have complete range of motion. I would have been frustrated as hell with those on my knees.

I assume he will not be wearing the braces this season, but it seems like a huge catch 22.

I know many lineman wear braces in the NFL as a proactive measure agt knee injuries, but I'm not sure it's feasible for an NHL player to wear them simply to prevent a knee injury.

How messed up is it that a 22 year old needed two knee braces to begin with. I swear, I'm just waiting for David Dunn to stroll through and say whats up to Beau "Elijah Price" Bennett.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
i like beau, am annoyed by beau injury jokes, and think it's dumb how he gets treated like an epic daigle like draft flop by a vocal percentage of the fanbase

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Absolute best case scenario - He starts with Sutter, plays well, pushes Perron out and JR makes a trade at the deadline to get a 1st from someone for Perron and possibly a solid prospect or maybe a Defenseman this team can use and Beau is in the top 6, healthy and producing.

Not in a position to move top 6 wingers even if Bennett is really demanding that role.

I think best case scenario is he is an impact player on the 3rd line for a few years, and takes Hornqvist's spot in the top 6 in 2-3 years.

BB just admitted he prefers RW, just like PK and PH. Would be convenient if Sprong can play both wings...

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
What, exactly, gives people the impression Bennett is ready to, or will ever replicate Perron's ~50pts a year?
He's got 33 points in 96 games, so he's a .34ish point/per/game player, despite battling through an unending stream of injuries and poor usage. How many times have we seen him on the 4th line at ~6-8 minutes a night? Even Sid wouldn't put up points there. And based on the eye test, it's very reasonable to expect that the guy has another gear (or two) that he's yet to hit.

I don't know if he's ready to hit 50 this season, but Beau Bennett certainly has the raw ability to put up assists in bunches, if everything comes together for him. His vision and passing is borderline elite.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
He's got 33 points in 96 games, so he's a .34ish point/per/game player, despite battling through an unending stream of injuries and poor usage. How many times have we seen him on the 4th line at ~6-8 minutes a night? Even Sid wouldn't put up points there. And based on the eye test, it's very reasonable to expect that the guy has another gear (or two) that he's yet to hit.

I don't know if he's ready to hit 50 this season, but Beau Bennett certainly has the raw ability to put up assists in bunches, if everything comes together for him. His vision and passing is borderline elite.

I went to a couple of preseason games last year when BB was healthy and playing with Sutter, and he really looked great. He was protecting the puck along the boards, cycling effectively, and controlling the play. Playing confident. I hope that's the BB we see again, and he can avoid injury. I'm not entirely confident, but he can be an effective player for us.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
What do people expect points wise for him? Let's just say he plays 82 games with Sutter and Kunitz, maybe through in a few games with Sid/Geno. My guess would be 19/29.

See there's where you went wrong :cry:

I hope he spends that contract money on bubble wrap or some titanium re-enforcement or something :naughty:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I think Dupuis has to permanently wear a knee brace since his injury, so I guess they can handle playing with one on. Well, with one knee in a brace.

Dupuis has been playing in a knee brace since 2004. He has two now.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
If he stays healthy, stays on RW in the top 9 and gets genuine 2nd PP time (doubt it), Id guess he will end up somewhere between 15-20 goals and 25-35 assists. He has the potential to put up 45 assists for sure, but he'd need real PP time which is just never going to happen.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Yikes. Didnt' realize that. My expectations for him playing a full season just went down.

He was an iron man in most of the ten years between putting on the brace until someone landed on his other knee. He was taken back out of the lineup by a blood clot, not anything knee-related. If there's anything to worry about, it's that.

Whether you wear a knee brace doesn't dictate how hurt you are. What matters is how damaged the knee is or isn't, brace or no brace. If it's completely healed and the brace is just there for stability, it shouldn't affect someone's game at all. ACLs usually take a year to heal completely. Dupuis had his surgery something like 17 months ago. Conversely, if you have a partial tear and wear a knee brace to keep playing, that'll only help you so much.

I'd bet Geno was wearing a knee brace for most of, if not the entire, season he won his MVP.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
IC needs to make one of these for Simon

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/07/08/hilarious-video-captures-pens-fans-beau-bennett-meltdown/

I just love Beau Bennett too. Glad he re-signed!

tumblr_mc8rmasgaW1re88nwo5_500.gif

anigif_enhanced-22868-1426780052-3.gif

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
i like beau, am annoyed by beau injury jokes, and think it's dumb how he gets treated like an epic daigle like draft flop by a vocal percentage of the fanbase

I'm more annoyed by Beau injuries than jokes about them.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

minor suggestion: I know you want to provide as much information as possible, but in titles you don't have to be that forthcoming. Something like 'Pens sign Bennett and Simon to new deals" is perfectly acceptable.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
minor suggestion: I know you want to provide as much information as possible, but in titles you don't have to be that forthcoming. Something like 'Pens sign Bennett and Simon to new deals" is perfectly acceptable.

Not related to that, but related to something I suggested when you started. Have you used the hemingwayapp?

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Agreed, but let's park it there lest we devolve into the punny front page copywriting on NHL.com.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
i think people are overreacting to this beau bennett two knee brace thing. I played with a few in midget major/junior who were already wearing multiple braces.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
This thread gives pretty much everyone (except that girl with gauze in her mouth and Dentist drugs in her brain) some type of a beauner. It might not yet be a raging beauner, but all of you had one when you read this. Don't try to deny it.

I'm happy the kid has one last shot and is working hard to get himself stronger, more durable, etc. I refuse to give up on him until I see him healthy for close to 82 games, getting minutes, and not impressing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad