Post-Game Talk: Penguins @ Rangers: Pittsburgh, please.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
This DZ hate for the sake of hating is getting old.
DZ had another good game. I thought Moore struggled mightily all night, not just 1 shift.

This is what Ranger fans do. They could go undefeated and win the cup and there would still be at least 1 whipping boy on the team. DZ is that guy now. At least Boyle is off the list for 1 game. He might have been the best skater on the ice last night for either team. He is always strong defensively, kills penalties and is the Rangers best faceoff man. However, most Rangers fans think Boyle is a waste and want him gone because he is not a heavy hitter or a 30 goal scorer.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how East teams play the Rangers the 2nd time out.

I dont' think it's "surprising" anyone I just think it's honestly a better system than what Tortorella was running last year or so. You just can't be so passive in the defensive zone and give other teams so much time with the puck, it killed so many aspects of the Rangers game. They spent a lot of time without the puck, had a terrible breakout and transition, etc.

I haven't watched many Vancouver games this year but it seems like either the Canucks are used to executing breakouts better in general or Tortorella has loosed things up a tad since the highlights I've seen don't have them looking terrible like the Rangers used to.

I've said it before but I think Tortorella bought his own hype about the Rangers just not being skilled at all and having to play ultra conservative, when he did have defensemen and forwards with the skating and skills to make more plays than they were being asked to make. He wanted a conservative, cautious game that eliminated mistakes but it gave opposing teams so much time with the puck.

I think a more aggressive system that we're seeing with AV (and I'm not even saying this is some super aggressive high powered offense or anything) is a big reason why the Rangers just beat the Pens and looked pretty good. IN years past the Pens have owned the Rangers and it's because every game they'd play, the Rangers would sit back and look tentative and the Pens skill players would have time and space with the puck to do whatever they wanted. Last night the Rangers went after the Pens and pressured them and kept them on their heels and were rewarded for it.

So, I like the result and the play. I think Torts needed to loosen up with the Rangers and let them make more plays because it was hurting the team to play so conservatively

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Lev, we will see. Until we actually play some of these teams a 2nd time, I don't think there's anyway to know.

I do agree, though, that the ultra-conservative style did not suit the particular talents of our D corps as much as a more aggressive one does. So, I'm optimistic. Mostly though, I think the more aggressive style will help them in the playoffs while our regular season record will end up about the same.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Lol Pittsburgh fans say hags should be suspended for the dangerous and dirty slew foot here hahaha

w0gopu.jpg

Vickers8

This DZ hate for the sake of hating is getting old.
DZ had another good game. I thought Moore struggled mightily all night, not just 1 shift.

Moore is having problems too....

NY Rangers Zone‏@NYRangersZone11h
Mind blowing stat of the night: #Rangers are 91-0-6 when leading into the third period. Last regulation loss after leading into 3rd: 2/4/10

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Awesome win on the team I hate the most. Loved reading their "Fanbase thread"

Great win and Boyle << Just awesome.

1. Boyle
2. Henke
3. Zucc/Hagelin and the defense.

And this was the best:

820128641_medium.gif

What an absolute disgrace to have the best player in the game just take a flat out dive like that. That wouldn't even knock me over and I'm no professional...

Vickers8

Lol Pittsburgh fans say hags should be suspended for the dangerous and dirty slew foot here hahaha

Hilarious when you consider Crosby is the King of the slewfoot

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
What an absolute disgrace to have the best player in the game just take a flat out dive like that. That wouldn't even knock me over and I'm no professional...

You know, whether it was a dive or not, Crosby's reputation there is probably why that wasn't called a penalty.

NHRangerfan

Moore is having problems too....

NY Rangers Zone‏@NYRangersZone11h
Mind blowing stat of the night: #Rangers are 91-0-6 when leading into the third period. Last regulation loss after leading into 3rd: 2/4/10

Leading after 2 is pretty much a lock in the NHL nowadays even bad teams rarely blow leads in the 3rd period.

on a side note a whole lot of garbage to wade through in this thread this morning :(

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i dunno, when you get slashed on the back of your leg, it can give you dead leg.

I know crosby is a diver and what not, but thats one where ive sorta been there....i wonder if it just hit that spot that makes the leg cave. its weird...my left leg is super prone to that. my right leg isnt. i wonder why.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
i dunno, when you get slashed on the back of your leg, it can give you dead leg.

I know crosby is a diver and what not, but thats one where ive sorta been there....i wonder if it just hit that spot that makes the leg cave. its weird...my left leg is super prone to that. my right leg isnt. i wonder why.

The knee maybe. That happens to me all the time because my knees have always been a problem.

But the calf? I doubt he hit him hard enough to feel through the socks.

When your fighting for position and plant in front of the net and drop your center of gravity its harder to get knocked down like that. Crosby doesn't drop there unless he throws himself to the ground.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
That looks more like a push than a slash, so considering he wasn't expecting it it isn't surprising that he went down. OTOH, since it was only a push how big of a deal can it be? Corsbo, pls.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
That looks more like a push than a slash, so considering he wasn't expecting it it isn't surprising that he went down. OTOH, since it was only a push how big of a deal can it be? Corsbo, pls.

It was a slight little push. Not a slash and not a slewfoot. Agreed.

I used to do that **** all the time when I played. A little push on the back of the leg. A little jab to the unpadded area behind the knee. A hard whack to the laces. What Hagelin did was insanely mild compared to what other players do.

Cosbro plox

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta

I was thinking the same thing. When I was a full time goalie I can't think of how many times that play is tried on you in the crease (you facing the other direction obviously) in order to gain some sort of footprint around the net.

At best, a trip and dive penalty should have been called if anything were to be called.

Yet again we see the "strongest skater in the National Hockey League" tumble like house of cards at a popcorn fart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad