Confirmed with Link: Penguins Protected List

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Francis is massively overthinking things if he takes ZAR over Zucker.

Yeah unless they’re trying to stay well below the cap to take on bad contracts and build up a pool of picks, Zucker is a no brainer IMO. With top unit PP time, he’s money in the bank for 50+ pts.

Reactions: Shady Machine

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The poetic gushing over Gaudreau on this forum is hilarious. A 28 year on journeyman. I like Freddy and would mind him back on a small one year deal as an extra forward. His small hot hand season with the Pens last year has alot of people buffaloed.

For me it's part not having a nasty long contract to be stuck with and you don't know what he may actually do with the chance (on an expansion team).

Look at that nasty ugly dead cap buyout on jMFj for the next five years.

THATS why I don't want tanev or pett... and honestly haven't even really seen much of the other lesser known players.

Then again I don't know if you're talking about me. Saying I'd choose him isn't what I'd particularly call 'poetic gushing'.
Eh.. either way...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The Penguins are going to miss Malkin for like half a season next year yet people think it's dumb to protect a 2C who was nearly a goal per game player for them last year?

Penguins fans just convinced themselves that Carter was somehow a free protection slot even though he wasn't.

I’m more worried that we convinced ourselves that Carter’s a 2C.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm fine protecting Carter simply because looking over the unprotected list doesn't really spike any interest in who I'd switch out.

But I definitely agree that people are going to be hugely disappointed if they expect a direct continuation of last season. That was some very unsustainable work, right there.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I do not get why you give McCann for nothing to protect a guy that is going to retire if picked.

I do not get why you protect Matheson's contract.

Jarry over DeSmith, I get.

They were always going to protect Carter, he's critically important to our chances next year, and there's no way to replace him. He could have been extended immediately by Seattle and been wearing a letter.

All in all, I like the list. It's possible Matheson would not have been taken, and I didn't like the deal because they are too soff at forward now, but Matheson is a unique player with a big impact on transition, and means you don't have to play Letang so heavily.

The current list gives Seattle a lot of ways to help us out.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
The Penguins are going to miss Malkin for like half a season next year yet people think it's dumb to protect a 2C who was nearly a goal per game player for them last year?

Penguins fans just convinced themselves that Carter was somehow a free protection slot even though he wasn't.

It's been pointed out several times that there is no way Carter keeps that up. My guess is he'll be closer to what we saw with LA with 19 points in 40 games.

Reactions: pengineer

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Dude’s 36 and has been on the decline for years in LA. He’s not going to improve on his post-TDL adrenaline boost against bad teams.

He could halve his production rate and still be one of our better forwards.

He can still play. Certainly didn’t have a problem producing in the playoffs against one of the best defensive teams in the game.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
I don't mind the Carter protection at all. He's pretty cheap, offers versatility and experience and is only signed for the next season. Yeah, he might regress to the mean but I wouldn't mind it anyway. He's not gonna destroy the team.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Probably why the return was so bad. It's like trading for someones rights.

It was a good move by Toronto I think. They either lose Keefoot and get a replacement for cheaper than they would have after the draft. Or they get to kept Kerfoot for less than it would have taken to bribe Seattle.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's been pointed out several times that there is no way Carter keeps that up. My guess is he'll be closer to what we saw with LA with 19 points in 40 games.

Carter doesn't need to keep up that pace for him to be 2C caliber.

He's a 2-way 50 point center in a 2C role on a good team.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He could halve his production rate and still be one of our better forwards.

He can still play. Certainly didn’t have a problem producing in the playoffs against one of the best defensive teams in the game.

He could also easily slip back to his LA production, which we have a much bigger sample size for.

Anyhow, dude should focus on his Instagram woodworking business / cabin air bnb is what I’m saying. Maybe become a yoga instructor.

Reactions: mpp9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad