• Svejkovsky

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's a bit hard to say because we're not even sure which "ERod" Erod is -- the first half guy or the second half guy? Lol.

DOC likely needs more time playing C at the NHL level to adjust to that position, since he only played C in pro hockey last year and has only played that position in the AHL.

I also don't know what the management's or coaching staff's plans are for him in terms of wanting him at C vs. W. Do they see him as an eventual Blueger replacement, or an eventual Zucker replacement? I really can't answer that because we don't know.

I will reiterate what I've said before that I think DOC has the potential to play as a third-wheel on a scoring line, similar to the role that Zucker would fill if playing with Malkin + one of Rust/Rakell. Or you could say the same thing about Heinen.

I do think DOC has the chance of playing higher in the lineup as a LW than as a C. And we don't know what his ceiling is because he's a late bloomer in general, but it's certainly a higher ceiling than Poehling or Zohorna, as soon as this season.

His NHL performance so far makes me believe he is going to be a less offensive ZAR tbh.

I’d be fine with us trading Blueger and slotting him to battle for 4C with Poehling and defaulting with McGinn and Archibald.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
His NHL performance so far makes me believe he is going to be a less offensive ZAR tbh.

That'd make me sad. And then I looked up ZAR's and DOC's stats through their first two seasons and ZAR has more points (rate of about double). Which made me more sad.

But then I remembered that ZAR spent a decent amount of time with Sid and Geno. 26.5% of his first season with Sid & Sheary. Then almost 28% with Geno & Phil the next season.

DOC spent about 55% of his first season with the likes of Jank, Lafferty, and Sceviour. Then his second season linemates were kinda all over the place with a line of he, Boyle, and Simon for 21%.

Gives me hope that he's not a lesser ZAR.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

I’d be fine with us trading Blueger and slotting him to battle for 4C with Poehling and defaulting with McGinn and Archibald.

Well, you’re certainly entitled to your opinion.

I look forward to DOC proving you and any other other doubters wrong.

I’m also more interested in getting rid of McGinn than Blueger because the latter doesn’t have 3 more years on his contract.

That'd make me sad. And then I looked up ZAR's and DOC's stats through their first two seasons and ZAR has more points (rate of about double). Which made me more sad.

But then I remembered that ZAR spent a decent amount of time with Sid and Geno. 26.5% of his first season with Sid & Sheary. Then almost 28% with Geno & Phil the next season.

DOC spent about 55% of his first season with the likes of Jank, Lafferty, and Sceviour. Then his second season linemates were kinda all over the place with a line of he, Boyle, and Simon for 21%.

Gives me hope that he's not a lesser ZAR.

Don’t get sad. He’s just trying to be a contrarian and provoke me and my belief in DOC because I’m not on his Ty Smith bandwagon or whatever reason…

Trust your own judgement and your all your WBS viewings ;)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well, you’re certainly entitled to your opinion.

I look forward to DOC proving you and any other other doubters wrong.

I’m also more interested in getting rid of McGinn than Blueger because the latter doesn’t have 3 more years on his contract.

Don’t get sad. He’s just trying to be a contrarian and provoke me and my belief in DOC because I’m not on his Ty Smith bandwagon or whatever reason…

Trust your own judgement and your all your WBS viewings ;)

I’ve been high on DOC since we got him. The issue is I haven’t seen him score a clean goal yet in the NHL.

He also plays so small when he’s up. It’s
completely bizarre given his game in the A.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I’ve been high on DOC since we got him. The issue is I haven’t seen him score a clean goal yet in the NHL.

He also plays so small when he’s up. It’s
completely bizarre given his game in the A.

I think he got screwed last year because of not being able to recall him due to cap constraints (because of performance bonuses he was never going to hit). And that was after getting Covid and then a punctured lung that derailed his season.

But I look at the jump I saw from his first year to his second, and his off-ice habits and work ethic, and I just think he's got potential we haven't seen at the NHL level yet.

The good news is that we don't need to wait more than a handful of weeks to find out.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think he got screwed last year because of not being able to recall him due to cap constraints (because of performance bonuses he was never going to hit). And that was after getting Covid and then a punctured lung that derailed his season.

But I look at the jump I saw from his first year to his second, and his off-ice habits and work ethic, and I just think he's got potential we haven't seen at the NHL level yet.

The good news is that we don't need to wait more than a handful of weeks to find out.

Maybe. I dunno. He got 14 games after producing and looked awful prior to covid and the injury.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
DOC is just a question of whether he can find whatever it is that he needs to do to translate AHL production to NHL - mental, technique, whatever it is. Guarantee me it's there and he'd be top of the list, if he doesn't do it he'll probably be 13th forward for a few seasons before becoming a full time AHLer.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
DOC is just a question of whether he can find whatever it is that he needs to do to translate AHL production to NHL - mental, technique, whatever it is. Guarantee me it's there and he'd be top of the list, if he doesn't do it he'll probably be 13th forward for a few seasons before becoming a full time AHLer.

The issue with these polls is we don't define what the prospect rating is.

If it is closest to NHL play, DOC should be 1st.

If it is upside DOC is probably 6th or 7th. IMO.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I like that we're all working on our different definitions tbh.

I do think that DOC's upside is considerable if he can put together the attacking plays he makes in the AHL with how he can help dominate possession in the NHL though. I'm just not sure whether he can. He's played a lot of games without really doing it. I don't have a lot of certainty about him reaching there.

Reactions: Gurglesons

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Half of every prospect poll is basically a "proximity"/floor vs ceiling discussion. Across every sport.

All I'll say with a guy like Poulin is if I'm not remotely excited about your upside and you're gonna marinate in the A for 2-3 years, yeah I'm gonna take the floor/proximity guy in these discussions

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Half of every prospect poll is basically a "proximity"/floor vs ceiling discussion. Across every sport.

All I'll say with a guy like Poulin is if I'm not remotely excited about your upside and you're gonna marinate in the A for 2-3 years, yeah I'm gonna take the floor/proximity guy in these discussions

Fair.

I think one thing that should put some shine on Poulin as a prospect is his production increase came when he was moved to C.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Poll over, Blomqvist on, if mods could please lock that would be great. Will start next one shortly.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad