Confirmed with Link: Penguins Name Mark Recchi Player Development Coach

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Recchi didn't play for Philly after he left the Pens while Crosby was around. Unless he was *****ing about Sid the toddler in 1992.

I mangled that badly.

It was Philly-related. It was the game where Hatcher blasted Crosby in the grill. I think Rex went off on Crosby in the locker room about sucking it up, or something. Crosby won it in OT. Recchi was salty to the Philly media afterward re: Crosby.

My memory obviously isn't perfect and I'm posting from work. So even that might be a little botched.

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
Wasn't he the guy that gave Crosby crap in his rookie season? I met Mark that season. Seemed like an absolute tool. Incredibly rude and didn't stay after the games for more than a millisecond.

Why is this dude even in our organization? **** him.

I really dislike this hire.

I never met Rec hi personally, but I remember him in Pittsburgh that season. I remember standing outside the Civic Arena watching the players leave. Rec hi was called by the fans as he was leaving with his wife. He went over to sign autographs and was there for 40 minutes before she pulled the car over to get him. He always seemed like a class act to me. Another memory of mine from the following season was when he was mentioned as a scratch for a game and the Pittsburgh fans cheered.

GrouperTrooper

Jan 17, 2008
Florida
I mangled that badly.

It was Philly-related. It was the game where Hatcher blasted Crosby in the grill. I think Rex went off on Crosby in the locker room about sucking it up, or something. Crosby won it in OT. Recchi was salty to the Philly media afterward re: Crosby.

My memory obviously isn't perfect and I'm posting from work. So even that might be a little botched.

Tough love. Maybe Sid needs it from time to time.(Didn't Alfie say something too?) Rex to the bench!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Tough love. Maybe Sid needs it from time to time.(Didn't Alfie say something too?) Rex to the bench!

Eh... I don't necessarily disagree. Especially toward the early part of Crosby's career. I just thought it was interesting, is all.

And yeah... Alfredsson said (in '06) that Crosby "cries too much."

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I'm OK with this as long as he's allowed to beat the occasional slacker-prospect up in front of the other players to send a message. Englewood Jack, know what I'm sayin? Still, I would've preferred Gary Roberts.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I feel like Gary Roberts should pretty much get free food wherever he goes. Including your local crunchy grocer of choice.

Mark Recchi..... mmmeh. Let him pay retail.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
finally, the medical staff has improved

'The doctor is in' was the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title ... you beat me to it :laugh: Wasn't he supposed to be doing some sort of consulting with the Stars, though? Or was it Boston?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I mangled that badly.

No problem. That sounds familiar.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Player development directors need to be former players with clout and that had a good playing career. They work directly with prospects so it needs to be someone that's been there before, not a guy that's been behind a desk.

My only issue is wasn't Recchi a problem in the locker? Drinking beer after games and part of the whole youth/veteran rift in 06?

Yes, he was part of the problem but I recall reading account that it had been patched up or exaggerated or chalked up to the awfulness of that season. I still think Recchi has the stink of a ********* on him, but whatever. as you say, ithis position requires a guy with credibility, and he has it.

And, as for the countryclub comments, there is value in institutional memory. People who've been a part of an organization from back in the day can provide perspective that others can't.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
And, as for the countryclub comments, there is value in institutional memory. People who've been a part of an organization from back in the day can provide perspective that others can't.

Yeah. And luring someone else in that has no ties to the team is a much harder sell. Recchi is not only familiar with the owners and his new boss and the city, he also has a house here. Most guys that'd be good player development directors are also probably living off their millions in the Florida keys or something.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
i'm sure every organization reeks of croneyism, but the penguins have to be among the worst in the league.

He was helping the Stars with the WHL prospect scouting so it's not like he's some guy that was sitting at home eating a bowl of chips and looking for work, but apparently, you just find the negative in everything.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I bet if someone looked at the player development coaches around the NHL they'd be a lot of cronism.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Recchi reportedly ran over some fuzzy ducklings earlier this summer out of shear malice... would be a sure sign he does not respect new life / young humans. Can anyone confirm?

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
I dunno, he has a tendency to go offside with his comments. We wouldnt want someone blowing the whistle on him to twitter.

g1359151818619694940.jpg

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Yeah, not sure if Recchi was a problem back in 06 or whenever but from the sounds of everything, he was great with young players in Boston in 2011 when they won the Cup.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Recchi was a great 12 minute/game player for the Pens, in almost any role, that insisted on playing 18 crappy ones instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad