Confirmed with Link: Penguins Name Mark Recchi Player Development Coach

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think it's time to start giving some love to the middle group. We got the early 90s and late 2000s, but it's time to give some love to the Kovalev, Straka, Lang, Hrdina, Kasper, Slegr era.

Unfortunately that crew is just not North American enough and didn't win a cup.

Now that Kovalev is retired, he'll be brought on as Motivational Coach

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Deal. It'll be easy to get Melichar back into the fold. The team is already employing his old defensive partner as one of their top four defensemen.

Now I'm sad.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The more former players who have won recently that teach our young kids how to do the same, the better.

Recchi won with Boston in 2011. With JR in 06. And with us in 91. Seems like a pretty obvious replacement for Guerin's old job.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
DrRecchi.jpg

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Player development directors need to be former players with clout and that had a good playing career. They work directly with prospects so it needs to be someone that's been there before, not a guy that's been behind a desk.

My only issue is wasn't Recchi a problem in the locker? Drinking beer after games and part of the whole youth/veteran rift in 06?

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Stevens was in charge of scouting something hilarious too, wasn't he? Like... strictly the Boston/New England region, or something?

Stevens was a pro scout for the New England area. He lives in Boston and many scouts cover specific regions, it's nothing unusual. Well everyone knows he got the job because Mario wanted his buddy taken care of. I have no problem with it. Stevens did a lot for the Pens, and he wasn't exactly put into a position where he could screw up anything.

I have no problem with the Recchi hiring either. He's been working as a coach with the Pittsburgh Penguins Elite youth program for the past two seasons when their various age groups won several championships. He's also co-owner of a WHL team (Kamloops). Add his long playing career and three Cup rings and I'd say the guy knows what he'll be talking to our prospects about. We have a lot of undersized wingers, I bet he could teach them a thing or two.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
HA!

Got to it before me.

Stevens was in charge of scouting something hilarious too, wasn't he? Like... strictly the Boston/New England region, or something?
He was the lead scout in charge of identifying and ranking restaurants and pastry shops in NHL cities.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Guerin can't still do this? I'm wondering what an assistant GM does for anywhere near 40 hours a week, epically when there's 3 other GMs and a stat guy. Bloat bloat bloat.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
Wasn't he the guy that gave Crosby crap in his rookie season? I met Mark that season. Seemed like an absolute tool. Incredibly rude and didn't stay after the games for more than a millisecond.

Why is this dude even in our organization? **** him.

I really dislike this hire.

Last edited:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Guerin can't still do this? I'm wondering what an assistant GM does for anywhere near 40 hours a week, epically when there's 3 other GMs and a stat guy. Bloat bloat bloat.

Guerin is supposed to constantly be around the team and be the line of communication between the players and management. I don't see how he could still do this.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Guerin is supposed to constantly be around the team and be the line of communication between the players and management. I don't see how he could still do this.

Unless they raise ticket prices to pay for these guys' salaries, I don't give a **** how many hockey ops guys they hire.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009

I guess the better question would be, why is that a thing? I thought they were called coaches. Will Guerin just "hang out" and ask if anyone needs him to send Mario or JR a text? Bah, I guess this is just built up frustration from the entire front office circus that has been the off season, especially considering that they've added about as many new staff positions as they have forwards.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I was pretty sure he was outed as some sort of malcontent after he was traded. I think he even talked a bunch of garbage on Sid while he played for Philly. That's where a lot of the "crybaby" stuff came from.

None of that means it's a bad hire, necessarily. I just... it kinda makes me chuckle and shrug my shoulders a little bit, that's all. Like I said weeks ago... the more things change...

Recchi didn't play for Philly after he left the Pens while Crosby was around. Unless he was *****ing about Sid the toddler in 1992.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
I guess the better question would be, why is that a thing? I thought they were called coaches. Will Guerin just "hang out" and ask if anyone needs him to send Mario or JR a text? Bah, I guess this is just built up frustration from the entire front office circus that has been the off season, especially considering that they've added about as many new staff positions as they have forwards.

Only thing that was a circus was the coaching search and I ended up liking the hire after doing some research on Johnston. I've liked everything done this off-season but that's just me. I haven't been this excited for a season in years.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

If I had to guess it's in response to the locker room becoming a mess, the coach being a dick to young players, the favouritism and Adams apparently being a spy. Maybe it will end in mass doubt of the medical staff being reported.

TBH, if I feel like giving them credit it's an attempt to make it harder for things to be come a mess again. More people makes it harder for the second coming of BylsmaShero.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad