Rumor: Penguins listening to offers on Daniel Sprong

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
Two players in the same position honestly. Similar AHL and NHL numbers. Seems logical but I think Coyotes should keep him. That said, I;d be interested in discussing the plus.

I think something like 2nd or 3rd+4th, i'm really bad at valuing players

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Well they always give lip service to using him right, then they find some reason to send him down to the 4 th line then complain he isn’t producing...

Its hockeycoachitis... blame the cocky young guy....
defenseman makes a dumb pinch... sprongs fault...
other player makes a dumb pass that goes the other way .... bench Sprong!!
Go on a losing streak with scapegoat sprong nailed to the bench.... TRADE SPRONG!!!!

Typical nhl vet loving bullcrap

I guess it's also "typical NHL vet loving bullcrap" when Sprong is constantly out of position? Or that he brings absolutely nothing to the table if he's not producing? Or that despite not looking terrible defensively, based on the number's he's our worst forward defensively by a mile - AND isn't producing all that much? What about the fact that for a "high offensive player" he's done next to nothing offensively and rarely ever looked dangerous? Or that the player he needed (and badly failed) to beat out is a fellow 24 yr old rookie? God damn NHL vets.

Sprong has the skill to play in the NHL and be a point producer... but he's not there yet, and it's very possible he never gets there because he won't figure out how to do enough to be useful when not producing. But for many they see him as a blue chip prospect who only needs to be played with a generational center to be productive, without ever thinking for a second how idiotic that sounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Hanks

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I guess it's also "typical NHL vet loving bullcrap" when Sprong is constantly out of position? Or that he brings absolutely nothing to the table if he's not producing? Or that despite not looking terrible defensively, based on the number's he's our worst forward defensively by a mile - AND isn't producing all that much? What about the fact that for a "high offensive player" he's done next to nothing offensively and rarely ever looked dangerous? Or that the player he needed (and badly failed) to beat out is a fellow 24 yr old rookie? God damn NHL vets.

Sprong has the skill to play in the NHL and be a point producer... but he's not there yet, and it's very possible he never gets there because he won't figure out how to do enough to be useful when not producing. But for many they see him as a blue chip prospect who only needs to be played with a general center to be productive, without ever thinking for a second how idiotic that sounds.

The numbers show exactly the opposite, if we want an opinion supported by facts:

Here's one for those who say Sprong should be scoring more in the NHL this year to earn his way up the line-up.

Of all the players in the NHL who have played 105 minutes or less - the amount Sprong has played - only 3 players have more points: Zach Sanford, Brady Tkachuk, and Dustin Brown (Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com).

Sanford's played 58% of his ES time with O'Reilly and Perron (Line Combinations - Frozen Tools), Tkachuk spent most of his ES time with Stone and/or Duchene (Line Combinations - Frozen Tools), and Brown's had 87% of his ES time with Kopitar (Line Combinations - Frozen Tools).

In sum, nobody in the league who's being used like Sprong is producing better than he is.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The numbers show exactly the opposite, if we want an opinion supported by facts:

Yep great links. Mr Goal scorer extraordinaire... with no goals and barely a shot a game - with at least half of those being chest snipes from distance. For a guy who's getting power play time... it takes a great deal of skill to look next to invisible out there, yet somehow he's managed.

You can love his potential all you want... but that doesn't change the fact that he's an offense only player who brings you less than nothing if he's not producing, and by the numbers is atrocious defensively.

Honestly I can't wait to see what the excuse is for Sprong after he's traded and still fails to have NHL success.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yep great links. Mr Goal scorer extraordinaire... with no goals and barely a shot a game - with at least half of those being chest snipes from distance. For a guy who's getting power play time... it takes a great deal of skill to look next to invisible out there, yet somehow he's managed.

You can love his potential all you want... but that doesn't change the fact that he's an offense only player who brings you less than nothing if he's not producing, and by the numbers is atrocious defensively.

Honestly I can't wait to see what the excuse is for Sprong after he's traded and still fails to have NHL success.

You're moving the goal posts. The numbers tell the story: what you want from Sprong, no other player in hockey is doing. He's producing better than anyone in the league with the time he has, but now it's not the right kind of production.

That says more about your shifting expectations without any kind of precedent than it does Sprong's performance.

Any prospect can bust, and Sprong may. But right now, the argument that he can't get a shot further up the line-up because he's not producing with the time he has simply isn't true.

Reactions: KIRK

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Then why are they eager to trade him? He hasn't had any shots with the top 6 players? Is he getting PP time?

He's had a couple of shifts across a few games with Crosby and Malkin with mixed results. Looked good with Malkin, was meh with Crosby. Unfortunately it was never tried again. However he was getting PP2 time here... and did little with it. All he had to do was beat out Simon and Rust (which isn't all that high of a bar)... and he's failed drastically there.

Honestly I'm not sure how eager they are to trade him vs other teams being eager to acquire him. Rutherford likes him and his potential, and Sullivan cant stand the fact that he's terrible defensively and does nothing if he's not scoring. And honestly, it's not a surprise and isn't something that's unique to Sullivan as an NHL head coach. Sprong probably will end up being traded (unless we have some injuries that force Sullivan to play him in the top 6), and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him have the same issues elsewhere.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You're moving the goal posts. The numbers tell the story: what you want from Sprong, no other player in hockey is doing. He's producing better than anyone in the league with the time he has, but now it's not the right kind of production.

That says more about your shifting expectations based on no precedent league-wide than it does Sprong's performance.

Any prospect can bust, and Sprong may. But right now, the argument that he can't get a shot further up the line-up because he's not producing with the time he has simply isn't true.

So I made what... 6 points with that post (something like that). Not a surprise that you're only going to argue one of those points. Sprong brings you less than nothing if he's not scoring, and he doesn't produce enough to make up for being terrible defensively and being a one trick pony in general.

No he's not getting further up in the lineup because he can't out play Simon or Rust. And he hasn't even come close to out playing either.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So I made what... 6 points with that post (something like that). Not a surprise that you're only going to argue one of those points. Sprong brings you less than nothing if he's not scoring, and he doesn't produce enough to make up for being terrible defensively and being a one trick pony in general.

No he's not getting further up in the lineup because he can't out play Simon or Rust. And he hasn't even come close to out playing either.

I focused on correcting your main point because the rest of it is moot, though I could happily dissect the rest if I thought it was worth my time. The fact that Rust just yesterday tied Sprong for points when he's had over twice as much TOI, and that TOI is beside superstar centers, about says it all.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009

Sprong has the skill to play in the NHL and be a point producer... but he's not there yet, and it's very possible he never gets there because he won't figure out how to do enough to be useful when not producing. But for many they see him as a blue chip prospect who only needs to be played with a generational center to be productive, without ever thinking for a second how idiotic that sounds.

Issue I have with you complaining about Sprong is, he is not a 4th line player. Never played like one. This is the same issue Kasperi Kapanen had/has with the Leafs. And until Nylander went down everyone forgot how good of a player and sniper he is. Ever since he played on the top two lines he has produced. Sprong is not a gringer or a 4th line winger or 3rd as a matter of fact. The kid needs to play.

Reactions: teddygmr

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Arizona fans, I'd like to discuss trades with you guys.

I have my eye on Strome, Crouse, and Perlini. Offering Sprong, Rust, Simon, Hagelin, and Brassard (not all for all, just listing players).

Maybe something like Brassard+Sprong for Strome+Perlini? Conditional pick on our end based on resigning Brass?

Just thinking that gives you Chucky, Stepan, Brassard down the middle with a plethora of NHL caliber wingers. Gives us a future potential 3C to replace Brassard and Perlini who could have a better impact than Sprong. General value thought was Brass = Perlini and Sprong = Strome (this based on NHL and AHL production similarities and current underperformance)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I focused on correcting your main point because the rest of it is moot, though I could happily dissect the rest if I thought it was worth my time. The fact that Rust just yesterday tied Sprong for points when he's had over twice as much TOI, and that TOI is beside superstar centers, about says it all.

Yep it does... that Sprong should learn how to aid the team in other ways then just scoring... because if he did, then he'd be getting more icetime despite having a rough start to the season like Rust.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He's had a couple of shifts across a few games with Crosby and Malkin with mixed results. Looked good with Malkin, was meh with Crosby. Unfortunately it was never tried again. However he was getting PP2 time here... and did little with it. All he had to do was beat out Simon and Rust (which isn't all that high of a bar)... and he's failed drastically there.

Honestly I'm not sure how eager they are to trade him vs other teams being eager to acquire him. Rutherford likes him and his potential, and Sullivan cant stand the fact that he's terrible defensively and does nothing if he's not scoring. And honestly, it's not a surprise and isn't something that's unique to Sullivan as an NHL head coach. Sprong probably will end up being traded (unless we have some injuries that force Sullivan to play him in the top 6), and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him have the same issues elsewhere.

He had 1 shift with Malkin in Vancouver.

He had no full shifts before that with Malkin.

He's had no full shifts since.

That's because Sully doesn't like the combo because . . . well, I guess because it worked and made him look bad.

Guy is going to be traded in a disappointment for disappointment deal along with lines being discussed throughout this thread.

Ironic thing is if they really wanted to get more, they'd give him a few showcasing games with Malkin, but Sullivan wants him gone, period.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
What is his actual value? Some people are saying he's worth Drake Caggiula and others are saying he's worth Pulju. Those are vast differences in value. Someone please explain to me.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He had 1 shift with Malkin in Vancouver.

He had no full shifts before that with Malkin.

He's had no full shifts since.

That's because Sully doesn't like the combo because . . . well, I guess because it worked and made him look bad.

Guy is going to be traded in a disappointment for disappointment deal along with lines being discussed throughout this thread.

Ironic thing is if they really wanted to get more, they'd give him a few showcasing games with Malkin, but Sullivan wants him gone, period.

Was about to say basically the same thing. In one game, he was paired with Simon and Brassard and they had a goal early in the game. When he was given 2PP time early in the season, he provided 2 assists there.

Oddly, when given a legit chance with impact linemates (Read: Not Sheahan and Cullen), he's actually produced. Problem is, he hasn't been given that long term look to see what he could actually do. It turns into diminishing ice time as the game proceeds regardless of how he plays.

I can't even fathom his state of mind while on the bench..."is this the shift that's gonna reduce my ice time? This one...the next one...the next one?" Sullivan has given that kid EVERY reason to not focus on the game that would him be an impact player.

If they sat him down and said "5 games, same linemates, gonna play regardless of performance and situation", I think he'd explode. He looks like a player that's too concerned with playing a certain way as to not get benched, that's not in the mold of what made him good in the first place. But we know that's unrealistic.

Reactions: KIRK

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Honestly I am not disappointed in Sprong and do not think he should be treated as a disappointment. Unfortunately that is what the coaching staff is doing.

People act like he is a first round pick about to bust. This is his 2nd year as a pro. He only go one year in the ahl because the Penguins screwed his waiver status.

He is a 21yr old with 38gp 4g 5a and 9 points averaging 9.50min a game. And he tore up the AHL last year.

Just like any other 2nd round pick he is going to work through his bumps and works his way up the lineup. Who ever gets him is going to love him in a couple years when he's playing on their first or second line.

Reactions: teddygmr

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What is his actual value? Some people are saying he's worth Drake Caggiula and others are saying he's worth Pulju. Those are vast differences in value. Someone please explain to me.

Depends on whether they want futures or contributing NHLers.

Value in a vacuum Puljujarvi >>> Caggiula but in terms of who’s going to help your team more today, it’s Caggiula.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

I think he would be valued around a high end 2nd Round pick or Low first. He is a winger waiting to break out just like Pulju. He just didnt original have the same high end projections, but was one of the top scorers in the ahl last year as a rookie.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Its whatever Rutherford and the highest bidder agree ;)

More seriously... I dunno, and I think the big variations in offer show this. Its not usual for guys like Sprong to be moved in this way at this time.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
sprong for what from the leafs?

He'd be a great middle six cheap player next year when they're in cap hell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad