Rumor: Penguins listening to offers on Daniel Sprong

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wanna 3rd rounder?

Someone would obviously top this, come on now. You're lucky if a 3rd round pick even ends up on Sprong's current level, let alone what Sprong's upside is.

Goldobin?

I don't see why Vancouver would do this. Goldobin has produced similarly to Sprong in the AHL and has done better in the NHL. Goldobin was also another high former pick, if that would matter. I can't see much incentive for them to do that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Exactly what I thought would happen 3 years ago when they burned his ELC year that he would be caught in a no-waive situation on a team trying to win now.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Vancouver should be interested, what is PIT looking for?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Some deal revolving around Sprong and Simmonds?

Gives Pitt a "win now" guy, Philly a possible future guy but can play 3rd line for now.

Add to the deal to make it fair.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Someone would obviously top this, come on now. You're lucky if a 3rd round pick even ends up on Sprong's current level, let alone what Sprong's upside is.
What'd you want from Edmonton prospects/picks wise?

I'll start with Caggiula + 3rd/4th. You get a fiesty young lw and a pick, we get a potential sniper for Mcdavid or Drai.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

I don't see why Vancouver would do this. Goldobin has produced similarly to Sprong in the AHL and has done better in the NHL. Goldobin was also another high former pick, if that would matter. I can't see much incentive for them to do that.
Canucks would do it. We have similar guys to Goldobin and would prefer a younger guy with higher upside like Sprong.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Vancouver should be interested, what is PIT looking for?

Probably a similar prospect to Sprong in potential upside and ability, but someone else stuck in a log-jam on their team. I think Honka is a fantastic example of a trade I could see happening.

Canucks would do it. We have similar guys to Goldobin and would prefer a younger guy with higher upside like Sprong.

I just don't think Sprong has that much higher of upside than Goldobin, to be honest. If the Canucks would do that, I'd totally be interested, but I just don't see much of a purpose for the Canucks to do it. Sprong is only about a year younger than Goldobin, and Goldobin has had more success in the NHL, about equal success in the AHL and was a higher draft pick.

What happened here? Before last season he was talked about as a potential Calder candidate and one of the top prospects not in the league. Not being given the opportunity? Not able to make the transition?

Not being given an opportunity. He's a James Neal type of sniper that is being played with guys like Riley Sheahan and Matt Cullen. If you play him with bad players, he won't produce. Sullivan doesn't like him/trust him, so he's solely giving him 4th line minutes.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Probably a similar prospect to Sprong in potential upside and ability, but someone else stuck in a log-jam on their team. I think Honka is a fantastic example of a trade I could see happening.

I just don't think Sprong has that much higher of upside than Goldobin, to be honest. If the Canucks would do that, I'd totally be interested, but I just don't see much of a purpose for the Canucks to do it. Sprong is only about a year younger than Goldobin, and Goldobin has had more success in the NHL, about equal success in the AHL and was a higher draft pick.

Not being given an opportunity. He's a James Neal type of sniper that is being played with guys like Riley Sheahan and Matt Cullen. If you play him with bad players, he won't produce. Sullivan doesn't like him/trust him, so he's solely giving him 4th line minutes.
The difference between Sprong and Goldy is that Goldy has had a lot of ice time (relatively) and opportunity whereas Sprong really hasn’t. Goldy hasn’t played that well this season since the first couple games and his time is running out here. That’s the main reason I would do the trade, but not sure what the team would do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad