Rumor: Penguins listening to offers on Daniel Sprong

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
You're assuming that another coach is going to love someone who brings you nothing, while also being bad defensively if he can't produce. Sullivan's treatment and opinion isn't something that's all that unique in the NHL.

That would be nice (in the sense of pure value), but I highly doubt it.

Thats true it isn't unique but the contending teams are much harder to break into than others. If Sprong goes to a team like the kings, he will be going there because they need him to score. They have enough defensive players but barely average 2 goals a game.

Matt Cullen, Sheahan, and Grant have not been defensive stalwarts this year either. I think that amplifies the situation too.

So while I don't think he is going think other coaches won't care about defense. I do think he will get a great opportunity to play to his strengths with another team. One that has time to let him make mistakes and develop. The Penguins being contenders don't have that time and screwed up by not allowing him to have more time in the AHL.

And I also think that is what he penguins should be asking and his pure value. But realistically he will be sold low because they want to move him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
1) ZAR is a grinder, not a skill player, and Simon has never been used like Sprong is this season.

Odd... because when you look at their first 8 games (prior to the Vancouver game) they look extremely similar:
Simon: 34% OZ starts. 9:52 TOI.
Sprong: 31% OZ starts. 7:55 TOI.

Looks pretty similar, with both frequently getting benched in the 3rd. The only real difference is that Simon was more productive (1g/5pts vs 3a) and brings more to the table then just his offense.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Wow sorry for all those post. I was one my phone and the site didnt seem like it was working earlier. :/ Im also kind of a newb to posting.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Odd... because when you look at their first 8 games (prior to the Vancouver game) they look extremely similar:

Looks pretty similar, with both frequently getting benched in the 3rd. The only real difference is that Simon was more productive (1g/5pts vs 3a) and brings more to the table then just his offense.

Also, Rust and Brassard vs Cullen and Sheahan. Id almost argue 3pts with Cullen and Sheahan is more impressive than 5pts with Brassard and Rust.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Simon played 2 more minutes per game with Brass or Sid pretty much every time he hopped over the boards instead of Cullen/Sheahan.

It doesn't look extremely similar. It looks like Simon's getting 2 more minutes a game with a lot better players.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
This has to be Ottawa. They are in dire need of young talent and they have expiring contracts they'll want value for. Duchene. You need to get something for Sprong and not any of these absurd undervalue deals. What's the worst case on handling of Sprong? You scratch him all year if you don't think he's ready. I'll eat that roster spot before I let him go for a 3rd rd pick. Wake UP

Riley Sheahan
Olli Matta
Daniel Sprong
2019 1st

for

Matt Duchene

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
ZAR - Crosby - Cullen
Guentzel - Malkin - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Duchene - Kessel
Simon - Brassard - Rust

... poor sid but honestly is it any worse than Kunitz-Dupuis, Sheary-Rust, or any other absurd line combo he's played with. ZAR is a great fit for Sid and the wily veteran is just going to have to make some plays

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
This is how I'm playing this game. Speed line one. Hagelin - Duchene - Kessel. Malkin line. Grinder line - Crosby line. Speed line one. Speed line two. And so forth

And then I'd be looking for a grinder with some speed to complete the Sid line. Like a Grabner

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This is how I'm playing this game. Speed line one. Hagelin - Duchene - Kessel. Malkin line. Grinder line - Crosby line. Speed line one. Speed line two. And so forth

And then I'd be looking for a grinder with some speed to complete the Sid line. Like a Grabner

Pretty clear you know absolutely nothing about Grabner if you think he's a grinder.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This has to be Ottawa. They are in dire need of young talent and they have expiring contracts they'll want value for. Duchene. You need to get something for Sprong and not any of these absurd undervalue deals. What's the worst case on handling of Sprong? You scratch him all year if you don't think he's ready. I'll eat that roster spot before I let him go for a 3rd rd pick. Wake UP

Riley Sheahan
Olli Matta
Daniel Sprong
2019 1st

for

Matt Duchene

That is an atrocious proposal for Pittsburgh with Duchene being a pending UFA. Even with an extended Duchene, I'm still easily saying no to that.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sprong averaged fourteen minutes in his 8 games played last year, mainly with Sid.

Nobody is complaining about the time or opportunity Sprong got in his 8 games last season though, pixies. It's this year that's the problem.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Then why are you comparing his year with Simon’s last year..?

Until you know, actually scoring goals Simon was in the same boat as Sprong.

I wasn't, that was you. Check the sequence of posts:

1) ZAR is a grinder, not a skill player, and Simon has never been used like Sprong is this season.

Simon got identical treatment last season?

In his first 12 games last year, Simon averaged 12 and a half minutes a game, and Crosby figured in on 4 of his 5 points: Dominik Simon 2017-18 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com.

So no, Simon definitely did not get identical treatment. Not even close.

Don't you bother to check these things before posting them?

Sprong averaged fourteen minutes in his 8 games played last year, mainly with Sid.

I don't know if you've forgotten or you're deliberately muddying the waters, but my position's been clear from the beginning.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I wasn't, that was you. Check the sequence of posts:

I don't know if you've forgotten or you're deliberately muddying the waters, but my position's been clear from the beginning.

He got used between 6-13 minutes following his time up with Sprong. He has also been buried this year as well. Difference being Simon actually scores goals.

I don’t even know why I said anything your reasoning for Sprong just has no limit.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He got used between 6-13 minutes following his time up with Sprong. He has also been buried this year as well. Difference being Simon actually scores goals.

I don’t even know why I said anything your reasoning for Sprong just has no limit.

As I showed earlier, Simon has never been used like Sprong has this year.

Whether by design or by accident, you've been misrepresenting things pretty regularly in this discussion...but it happens so often that it seems like the former. Too bad, because this site's better when people argue in earnest.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
As I showed earlier, Simon has never been used like Sprong has this year.

Whether by design or by accident, you've been misrepresenting things pretty regularly in this discussion...but it happens so often that it seems like the former. Too bad, because this site's better when people argue in earnest.

This forum is for trade discussion, let’s save the incessant Sprong defense for the Pens board.

Reactions: KIRK

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void

LMAO Simon took a long time before he started clicking on our team in any fashion. Yet he was repeatedly tried with Crosby and surprise surprise it stuck. I wonder if you placed a much more highly touted prospect with a shot that's miles better into the same position to succeed what would happen?:sarcasm::sarcasm:

Reactions: 71Malkin71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad