Line Combos: Penguins Lines Discussion

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Why would he do that though? Crosby-Hornqvist has been an absolute dynamite pair, there is no justification to split them up. I highly doubt he's going to be splitting up KCH.

I hear you and he probably won't but Geno still hasn't played C yet or found his "pair".

Dupuis and Sutter won't be staples on Geno's line imo.

Without Bennett, that leaves Downie or Comeau who may be tried in the short term.
I don't believe MJ will move Sutter to wing. He's the best to 2nd best faceoff guy on most nights.

After saying all that, i would give Geno a spin with Horny if i were the coach and put Downie on Sid's RW.
I'm just sort of guessing at what MJ may do once Geno goes back to C.

Last edited:

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Downie/Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist
Spaling-Sutter-Bennett
Sill-Goc-Comeau/Downie

Bottom line, we need to make 2 trades for top-6 wingers by the end of the year, so we can have:

Kunitz-Crosby-Trade
Trade-Malkin-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Sutter-Bennett
Spaling-Goc-Comeau/Downie

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Which means nothing come playoff time when the amount of penalties called goes down.

With Horns in front our PP will be effective in the playoffs, there will still be PP's. And as I said, Geno's wing for the playoffs isn't on the roster yet.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
With Horns in front our PP will be effective in the playoffs, there will still be PP's. And as I said, Geno's wing for the playoffs isn't on the roster yet.

Not an excuse to bring down his even strength production. Can't hope to live off PPs in the playoffs.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Which means nothing come playoff time when the amount of penalties called goes down.

Average powerplay opportunities per game in the 2013-2014 regular season: 6.55
Average powerplay opportunities per game in the 2013-2014 post season: 7.17

Average powerplay time per game in the 2013-2014 regular season: 10:53
Average powerplay time per game in the 2013-2014 post season: 12:00

But don't let facts get in the way of a good myth

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Average powerplay opportunities per game in the 2013-2014 regular season: 6.55
Average powerplay opportunities per game in the 2013-2014 post season: 7.17

Average powerplay time per game in the 2013-2014 regular season: 10:53
Average powerplay time per game in the 2013-2014 post season: 12:00

But don't let facts get in the way of a good myth

Fair enough. But that still doesn't justify the mindset of "Okay let's let Malkin play with 3rd liners 5-on-5 because we have to do everything we can to make Sutter better!"

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
With Ebbett down...

Kunitz, Crosby, Hornqvist
Dupuis, Sutter, Malkin
Spaling, Goc, Downie
Comeau, Sill, Adams

Ugh..Adams.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Comeau has played too well to be on the 4th line in my opinion.

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist (there is zero logical/reasonable reason to break this up)
Dupuis-Malkin-Downie
Comeau-Sutter-Spaling
Sill-Goc-Adams

is what I would run if Malkin returns to center before Bennett gets back. When BeauBrittle gets back:

KCH
Dupuis-Malkin-Bennett
Spaling/Comeau-Sutter-Downie
Comeau/Spaling-Goc-Sill

We need at least one trade to make:

KCH
Dupuis/BB-Malkin-Trade
Downie-Sutter-BB/Dupuis
Spaling-Goc-Comeau

Dupuis and BB battle it out for the Top 6 spot. That is a lineup that could work for us. If the trade and Malkin click, we could have a heck of lineup. Either way, BB coming back, while great and all, alone is not the answer. We need more.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I think the D pairings need shaking up and Geno needs to be back at centre. I think Goc needs more ice time too.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The D has definitely been disappointing. Where is No. 10??? Ehrhoff has been very very ordinary so far. Not even close to being worth re-signing if he's going to play like that. Martin needs to go A S A P. Letang looks far more in control this season, but he's playing perhaps too passively for him. Seems content with playing his position. Not really playing to his strengths, imo.

I suspect Despres will sit out tonight, but hopefully he's not in the dog house again. He doesn't deserve to be. But I do want to see Harrington and/or Bortuzzo in the lineup tonight.

Maatta-Martin
Harrington-Letang
Ehrhoff-Bortuzzo

If Bortuzzo can't go:

Maatta-Martin
Ehrhoff-Harrington
Scuderi-Letang

We have too many soff defensemen and it's a problem against teams with guys who like to drive the net. We knew this was going to be an issue, so hopefully we'll give Harrington and especially Bortuzzo a shot. And it's also why Despres shouldn't sit for more than one game. Just give him a small breather tonight and he can get back in on Saturday in Nashville.

Up front, just put Malkin back at center A S A P. Enough already. At least this way, JR will see that we are missing one key piece up front.

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-whoever
Comeau-Spaling-Downie
Sill-whoever-crap

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I dont know what the line combinations will be..

But PUT MALKIN AT CENTER
This is ridiculous

I'll take a stab at lines

Dupuis/Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz/Dupuis - Malkin - Downie/Spaling
Comeau - Sutter - Spaling/Downie
Sill - Goc - Anyone But Adams

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think Despres could sit to get Harrington in. Scuds can sit in favor of Bort.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think Despres could sit to get Harrington in. Scuds can sit in favor of Bort.

I really don't want to see Despres sat right now. He's finally being allowed to play through some mistakes, but last night he made his biggest mistake yet. I just don't want to see him benched for it. He needs to get a chance to bounce back from it. That's something he's never had here.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I really don't want to see Despres sat right now. He's finally being allowed to play through some mistakes, but last night he made his biggest mistake yet. I just don't want to see him benched for it. He needs to get a chance to bounce back from it. That's something he's never had here.

For Harrington, I dont' have a problem with it. Scuds staying in and Despres coming out, no dice.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
For Harrington, I dont' have a problem with it. Scuds staying in and Despres coming out, no dice.

Sit him next game then. He needs a chance to make a mistake and bounce back instead of making a mistake and immediately being benched. Again.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
odds are they don't make any major changes in a back to back situation

CorpseLW

Jan 7, 2009
Western PA
solution 1: get rid of Malkin, get in Byfuglien (as FWD) and maybe J. Tavares.

on defense: stay patient with the new manager/system, rely on solution 1 above. puck possession, size on the attack.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I dont know what the line combinations will be..

But PUT MALKIN AT CENTER
This is ridiculous

I'll take a stab at lines

Dupuis/Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz/Dupuis - Malkin - Downie/Spaling
Comeau - Sutter - Spaling/Downie
Sill - Goc - Anyone But Adams

Unless the Sutter centering Malkin thing continues to be the debacle it was last night, Malkin is not going to center full time until Beau Bennett returns from injury (based on the current projected timeline).

I don't understand why people don't believe Johnston when hes alluded to that since day 1.

lucasjb

Oct 23, 2014
I've been really impressed with Comeau I'd like to see him have a chance in a top six role. I think Crosby is still extremely dangerous even without Hornqvist on his wing and Downie adds some toughness. When BB comes back put him on Sutter's right wing and there's three scoring lines, scratch Adams and put Dupuis on the fourth line.

Comeau - Malkin - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Crosby - Downie
Spaling - Sutter - Dupuis
Sill - Goc - Adams

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Dupuis-Malkin-Comeau tonight. Baby steps. A little surprised Johnston gave up waiting for Beau to return before pulling the trigger, but props to him for doing better by Malkin. I still think he waited about a week too long, but it's better than we'd have seen from the last regime when it came to combos that weren't working.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad