Line Combos: Penguins Lines Discussion

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Noticed we didn't have a thread for it yet this year. What lines would you want to see next game?

With Bennett still out, we are in a bit of a quandry, lineup-wise. Add in the fact that the Pens haven't scored an even strength goal in the last 2 games, and we seem a heavily PP-dependent team at this point in time (thankfully it's clicking).

I loved how KCH started out the year, but they too have not scored as a line since the first period of the season opener (not counting the EN goal). And there is still the issue of moving Geno back to center. We have a few days off to practice and his legs are back, so what do we do now?

At even strength, I would go with this for our next game:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist
Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Sill-Goc-Adams

It's not ideal, but gives us a more balanced attack, and allows Malkin to go back to his natural position (where he will be come playoff time). We are also in a new system under a new coach, so lineup experimentation should be encouraged to a great degree, early in the year.

For the PP, if it ain't broke, don't fix it ;) I was a huge proponent of putting Erhoff on the point to start the year, but now would not be the time to make any changes, since we are on top of the league in that category.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
do not split up Crosby and Hornqvist. Makes no sense. Also, don't move Dupuis back to RW. Also makes no sense. If you need to split Kunitz and Hornqvist then you go with

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Whoever

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
do not split up Crosby and Hornqvist. Makes no sense. Also, don't move Dupuis back to RW. Also makes no sense. If you need to split Kunitz and Hornqvist then you go with

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Whoever

Best course of action when Beau comes back.

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Beau
Comeau-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Goc-Sill

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Beau
Comeau-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Goc-Sill

Sure but that is at least 2 weeks away, which is enough time to either take a good lead on the division, or start slipping behind. What would you ice over that period of time?

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Whoever

Respect your opinion, but could you give me your reasoning? Why is splitting up Sid/Horny worse than splitting up Sid/Kunitz? And who is 'whoever' in your version of the lines...Downie?

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I'm not sure why anyone would want KCD back after seeing how Hornqvist and Crosby play together.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
But that is at least 2 weeks away, which is enough time to either take a good lead on the division, or start slipping behind. What would you ice over that period of time?

Downie in Bennett's spot, Adams or Ebbett on the 4th line.

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Downie
Comeau-Sutter-Spaling
Adams/Ebbett-Goc-Sill

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Interesting. Would probably prefer this over Malkin at wing, though I am not sure if Downie is a top 6 player anymore.

Sutter isn't either. At least this puts Geno back at center. I'd be fine with even leaving Sutter with him, just at RW.

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Sutter
Comeau-Spaling-Downie
Adams/Ebbett-Goc-Sill

the simple truth is this: We currently have 4 top 6 forwards on the roster, and Dupuis as a capable fill-in. After that, you are playing a 3rd liner in the top 6. Downie has been a top 6 forward before just as much as Sutter has; actually probably more.

Internet Explorer

Better than Chrome
Sep 14, 2009
Internet
In before the usual suspects come in complaining that Geno isn't respected enough or gets the "crappy" line mates.

Kuni/Sid/Horny
BB/Geno/Sutter

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
In before the usual suspects come in complaining that Geno isn't respected enough or gets the "crappy" line mates.

Kuni/Sid/Horny
BB/Geno/Sutter

Well we don't currently have BB, so you can't do that. He's also a RW. At that point, I'd rather Sutter at 3C, Bennett at RW and Comeau or Spaling at LW.

Internet Explorer

Better than Chrome
Sep 14, 2009
Internet
Well we don't currently have BB, so you can't do that. He's also a RW. At that point, I'd rather Sutter at 3C, Bennett at RW and Comeau or Spaling at LW.

BB start practicing with the team in 10 days. I'd keep him there with Sutter at the wings regardless. It'll buff out. It's not like its too late in the season to take the risk.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
BB start practicing with the team in 10 days. I'd keep him there with Sutter at the wings regardless. It'll buff out. It's not like its too late in the season to take the risk.

I have no idea what you just said. Who is "him" that I bolded? Who is wing in that situation, Sutter? "Him?"

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I agree with not seperating Horns and Sid right now but i DO want to see what Downie can bring in a supporting top 6 role while Beau is out.

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Downie
(and flip Dupuis and Downie for some shifts)

but i'd also see what:

Kunitz-Crosby-Downie
X-Malkin-Hornqvist

looks like

I view Downie as better at going into corners and coming out with pucks than Comeau is. Comeau can skate and hit you but he's not necessarily gonna come out with possesion.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Beau
Comeau-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Goc-Sill

Yep, maybe switch Comeau and Spaling depending who is playing better but that makes the most sense to me until we can bring in another top 6 winger to push Beau or Dupuis out of the top 6.

penguins2946*

For now, I'd make the lines:

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Comeau
Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Sill-Goc-Adams (poor Goc)

I like what I have seen from Comeau so far, and he has been a top-6 winger in the past.

member 51464

I think the smart thing to do is to list each of the best 4 possible tandems and then see what you have left over before doing plug and play. Especially since Johnston had mentioned being big on duos and then finding a complimentary 3rd pair (at least I believe that is what I recall being said).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
For now, I'd make the lines:

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Comeau
Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Sill-Goc-Adams (poor Goc)

I like what I have seen from Comeau so far, and he has been a top-6 winger in the past.

I think the smart thing to do is to list each of the best 4 possible tandems and then see what you have left over before doing plug and play. Especially since Johnston had mentioned being big on duos and then finding a complimentary 3rd pair (at least I believe that is what I recall being said).

That's almost what he did. Just swap Spaling or Downie with Sill or Adams.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think with our roster constructed now the best course of action is either.

Dupes/Kuni / Crosby / Horny
Dupes/Kuni / Malkin / Downie

I hate seeing Malkin on the wing. It makes me depressed.

I'm with you. Comeau and Spaling could rotate with Downie a bit too, as none of them will be playing as many minutes as Malkin or Dupuis/Kunitz.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I'm with you. Comeau and Spaling could rotate with Downie a bit too, as none of them will be playing as many minutes as Malkin or Dupuis/Kunitz.

Comeau looked a bit overwhelmed playing with Geno after Duper went down the other night. Could just be that it's been a while since he's been in a top six situation and he was trying too hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad